Do you agree or disagree with this article? Why?
I agree.
 69%  [ 9 ]
I disagree.
 30%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

Quote:

STORY IN TAMPA BAY NEWSPAPER

Will we still be the Country of choice and still be America if we continue
to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries
that came to live in America because it is the Country of Choice??????
Think about it . . .

All I have to say is, when will they do something about
MY RIGHTS? I celebrate Christmas, but because it isn't
celebrated by everyone, we can no longer say Merry
Christmas. Now it has to be Season's Greetings. It's not Christmas vacation, it's Winter Break. Isn't it amazing
how this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday? We've gone so far the other way, bent over
backwards to not offend anyone, that I am now being
offended. But it seems that no one has a problem with that.

This says it all!
This is an editorial written by an
American citizen, published in a
Tampa newspaper. He did quite a job; didn't he? Read on, please!

IMMIGRANTS,
NOT AMERICANS,
MUST ADAPT.

I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we
are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11,
we have experienced a surge
in patriotism by the majority
of Americans. However, the dust from the attacks had
barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining about
the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to America. Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. However, there
are a few things that those
who have recently come to
our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of America being a
multicultural community
has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we
have our own culture, our
own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language.
Therefore, if you wish to become part
of our society, learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women,
on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented.
It is certainly appropriate to display it
on the walls of our schools. If God
offends you, then I suggest you
consider another part of the world as
your new home, because God is part
of our culture.

If Stars and Stripes offend you, or
you don't like Uncle Sam, then you
should seriously consider a move
to another part of this planet. We
are happy with our culture and have
no desire to change, and we really
don't care how you did things where
you came from. This is
OUR COUNTRY,
our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every citizen the
right to express his opinion and we
will allow you every opportunity to do
so. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag,
our pledge, our national motto, or our
way of life, I highly encourage you
take advantage of one other great American freedom,
THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

Just seeing what everyone's opinion is on this...

Also, please do not let this get out of hand, this is a discussion, but one I will lock quickly if things get out of hand...
I agree 100% (on a slighly related note, English has just recently been made the official language Laughing )
Quote:
Christmas. Now it has to be Season's Greetings. It's not Christmas vacation, it's Winter Break. Isn't it amazing
how this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday? We've gone so far the other way, bent over

Christmas has lost its meaning today. Only the truly Orthodox Christians care/celebrate it as it was originally meant. It's a marketing holiday now (actually all of November and December are, but that's consumerism at its worst)

Quote:

IMMIGRANTS,
NOT AMERICANS,
MUST ADAPT.

I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we
are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11,
we have experienced a surge
in patriotism by the majority
of Americans. However, the dust from the attacks had

I agree here. Immigrants do not deserve the rights of citizens until they have gone through the paper work. They also do not deserve breaks at all when they do become citizens.
Quote:
I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to America. Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. However, there
our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of America being a
multicultural community
has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we
own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language.

Or learn to cope without. Just don't request translators and interpreters.
Quote:
"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women,

Actually many of the founding fathers were deists and didn't like Chritianity at all. Jefferson, Franklin, as well as other well-known ones didn't like the idea of 'global' religion and basically thought that each should find their own religion, but they did base laws and such on Christian principles (probably becuase many were familiar with them anyway).
Quote:
of our culture.

If people just kept their beliefs to themselves, it would be a lot better anywhere. Oppressing people with one's belief system only creates tension and can spawn hate and violence. I personally love this quote/story:
Quote:
[Missionary tells Eskimo story of Christianity]
M: And now that you know, you can go to Heaven.
E: What would've happened if you hadn't told me?
M: You would've gone to Heave because you were ignorant.
E: Then why did you tell me?

That can pretty much sum up why spreading religion doesn't solve much or help on a large scale. But of course, this may start another debate if I go too much further.

Quote:
to another part of this planet. We
are happy with our culture and have
no desire to change, and we really
don't care how you did things where
you came from. This is
OUR COUNTRY,
THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

I agree with this last paragraph.
Kllrnohj wrote:
I agree 100% (on a slighly related note, Enlish has just recently been made the official language 0x5 )

I've never heard of Enlish... Is it a new dialect? Razz (sorry about the double post, but Kllrnohj posted while I was formatting that beast above)
I'm going to disagree with the author (and I'll attempt to do it as camly as possible to avoid a lock by tifreak Wink).

I believe that this country should be identified more by it's principles than it's culture. The country was originally founded by people from many nations and different cultures, and it continues to recieve more and more people from various other places. I don't think that America should have a defineable culture; instead our principles should be our defining princple. Our acceptance of all peoples, our freedom for all, and our lack of a cultural identity are all great things IMHO that should define America.

Some (like this author) believe that we should have a soul American culture. Think about it, do you really want countries to identify us (as most of them already do) as fast-food eating, Christian, assholes. To define the culture of America as this is completely wrong in my mind. America is a mix of people with various beliefs and various practices. That's what *should* make us special. An undefineable, melting-pot, freedom-for-all culture is what I believe in. And as such, I believe that this author has it wrong. We are much more than the white, christian, home-grown american stereotype: we are (or at least, should be) the manifestation of freedom and heterogeneity.

In response to the author, I would suggest that we go about apealing to everyone in a different way. Instead of preventing people from saying Merry Christmas, and whatever else to comply with what's politically correct, we should allow everyone to practice their beliefs. Christians should be able to say Merry Christmas just as Jews should be allowed to say Happy Chanukah, etc..
I also have to disagree with the author.
Quote:
I celebrate Christmas, but because it isn't
Christmas...

I don't see why you can't say Merry Christmas anymore. There's no law against it. People just want to respect other's religions and don't want to force their own religion on others. So what if it's called differently now. It's still the same thing. Only the name has changed. I don't think it makes much difference to practitioners of other religions either. Everyone still celebrates their religious holidays.
Quote:
This idea of America being a
multicultural community
has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity.

It's actually the author's attitudes toward a multicultural community that has done this. In fact, immigrants serve to enrich our sovereignty and national identity. Everyone enjoys going to an Italian or Chinese or any other cultural restaurant every now and then. American culture wouldn't be what it is if immigrants weren't here and that is what the author needs to understand.
Quote:

Well then maybe you should take the time to learn these languages. You would learn a lot by doing so. By the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, Americans have a reduced perception of reality because of their reluctance to learn languages other than English.
Quote:

Didn't we adopt that slogan in the 50s in response to the godless Soviets? Also, it's not an issue of wether or not god offends me. The Constitution guarantees separation of Church and State. It is not appropriate to display this slogan on the walls of our schools. It's almost like saying Creationism and Intelligent Design should be in our schools. They just don't belong there.
Quote:
to another part of this planet...
Our First Amendment gives every citizen the
so.

The First Amendment also gives every citizen the right to be offended by Stars and Stripes and Uncle Sam. It gives every citizen the right to complain. If no one ever complained, no one would ever find possible flaws in the system.
I believe his point of view is outdated in today's society. The American culture the author defined is rapidly changing. Maybe the author should adapt to changes in America, just as he expects immigrants to adapt to life in the United States.
something1990 wrote:
Quote:

Well then maybe you should take the time to learn these languages. You would learn a lot by doing so. By the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, Americans have a reduced perception of reality because of their reluctance to learn languages other than English.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. That'd be like me saying "Hey, I want to move to <insert non-English speaking country here>. Now make all those bastards speak English to accomodate me." Kind of an arrogant attitude, don't you think?
Quote:

Who says that you cannot say merry Christmas any longer. Seasons greetings is said to include everyone, not to be politically correct. It is available for a mixed room to incorporate every group. Who says it the most? Things that are commercial, they are trying to get the 14% to still come in and buy their products. It happens to be politically correct, but don't be confused about the real reason for it. People still say merry Christmas, sometimes accompanied with happy Hanukkah and merry Kwanza, it hasn't been banned.

Quote:
However, the dust from the attacks had

I'm not sure where this came from even. I believe that this came much later. It's basically an imaginary issue at this point, but it is repeatedly harped upon.

multicultural community

Quote:

Lots of people speak quite a few languages and only displaying English is just going to make it more difficult for them to adapt. The majority of work requires some knowledge of the English language, but forcing them through shunning is just ignorant. They can't drive without being able to read the road signs, so basically it's impossible to function without English. We haven't made the national language anything else, so quit complaining and let them read the occasional Spanish.

Quote:
of our culture.

Pure ignorance showing true. First, let's take a look at another national slogan, France's. Liberté, égalité, fraternité, which means liberty, equality, fraternity, but have you seen the amount of racism in France? It's appalling, so their moto doesn't hold true, why must ours? Yes the people were christian, but of many different kinds. America was FOUNDED upon religous freedom. People, for the most part, were trying to escape religious persecution that was occuring in Europe at the time. This is clearly documented. Spawning forced religion off of people who severly opposed that view is ignorant. God is not part of my culture and certainly not the United States'. Ever read the constitution? There's a little something that is stated there that prevents God from being openly supported in government owned/supported property. It is completly inappropriate to do what is suggested, there are plenty of people, me included, that would be offended. Ignoring the 14% of the population is wrong, we just as soon should have California and Oregon secede. BTW most mentions of God were inspired during the Cold War, as well as a change in how the pledge was said in 1945, to seperate ourselves from the "Godless" Soviets.

Quote:
This is
OUR COUNTRY,
THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

Ignoring the First Amendment before and now quoting it. Yes just move everyone who disagrees away, that's a great solution. Reminds me of a song "Lock'em Away." Here's a sample, "dont like what they do, lock them away. Dont like what they say, lock them away." Sound similar?

Sorry if that got a little heated, I'm just all too used to this. I used to be really into a political forum.
Sage Orator wrote:

Quote:

Lots of people speak quite a few languages and only displaying English is just going to make it more difficult for them to adapt. The majority of work requires some knowledge of the English language, but forcing them through shunning is just ignorant. They can't drive without being able to read the road signs, so basically it's impossible to function without English. We haven't made the national language anything else, so quit complaining and let them read the occasional Spanish.

Yes, but things are getting rediculous when they are offering people spanish classes, instead of trying to help the spanish-only speaking people to learn english. That is backwards. I don't mind one bit if people speak all those languages. BUT, English is the prominent language spoken in the US. EVERYONE should have to learn to speak it to some extent.

My mom is originally from Germany. Before coming over here, she spent 4 hours proving to this "tester" that she could speak English fluently, and what not. This upsets here greatly that all these mexicans are over here, and cannot speak a lick of english. And I know lots of Mexicans that can speak English, and are madder than fire at the ones that dont, because they think the same way.

So he is right in that sentence.

If you are going to be here, be able to learn to speak the language.
It wouldn't do Americans any harm if they learned an extra language or two. In fact, it's beneficial business-wise. Many employers will be more likely to hire a person if that person is multilingual. It looks good on a college application if you took four years of a foreign language in high school. It's generally a good idea to learn a foreign language if you're willing to devote time to learning it. Besides, it's not like the immigrants are being arrogant by making all those bastards speak their languages and writing articles in Tampa Bay newspapers proclaiming that those bastards should speak foreign languages to accomodate foreign cultures.
Kllrnohj wrote:
That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. That'd be like me saying "Hey, I want to move to <insert non-English speaking country here>. Now make all those bastards speak English to accomodate me." Kind of an arrogant attitude, don't you think?

Have you ever been to another country? Pretty much everyone speaks english to accomodate inconsiderate Americans. I'd learn other languages (technically, I'm learning spanish...technically), but I'm too lazy. And I think that's the consensus for most Americans. It really shouldn't be. One day I should whip myself and learn a new language.

TI-Freak wrote:
Yes, but things are getting rediculous when they are offering people spanish classes, instead of trying to help the spanish-only speaking people to learn english. That is backwards. I don't mind one bit if people speak all those languages. BUT, English is the prominent language spoken in the US. EVERYONE should have to learn to speak it to some extent.

I agree, but it's good for English-only speaking Americans to learn a new language as well. It helps as the world becomes smaller and smaller...
Chipmaster wrote:
Have you ever been to another country? Pretty much everyone speaks english to accomodate inconsiderate Americans. I'd learn other languages (technically, I'm learning spanish...technically), but I'm too lazy. And I think that's the consensus for most Americans. It really shouldn't be. One day I should whip myself and learn a new language.

Indeed I have, but do remember, it isn't just us "inconsiderate Americans" that speak English as their primary language Wink And it is generally only the younger generations in other countries that can speak english decently, but that only goes for countries with good schools (read: mainly European countries). There are many, many countries whose populations don't speak a word of english....
true, the way some people talk, we should go out and learn every language that people speak.
rivereye wrote:
true, the way some people talk, we should go out and learn every language that people speak.
Indeed, but as people have said, this is America. Even though we're a melting pot etc etc, there's no reason that people have to resist learning the national language just to preserve their heritages. They're welcome and invited to keep their individual heritages alive, including continuing to use their own language, but they also should know English in my opinion. If you go to live in France, do you insist that everything be made bilingual for you? No, you learn French. It's as simple as that: in going out of our ways to respect other people's cultures, we've dangerously eroded the quality of our own national identity.
KermMartian wrote:
rivereye wrote:
Indeed, but as people have said, this is America. Even though we're a melting pot etc etc, there's no reason that people have to resist learning the national language just to preserve their heritages. They're welcome and invited to keep their individual heritages alive, including continuing to use their own language, but they also should know English in my opinion. If you go to live in France, do you insist that everything be made bilingual for you? No, you learn French. It's as simple as that: in going out of our ways to respect other people's cultures, we've dangerously eroded the quality of our own national identity.

w00t! You got it Kerm!
Very True. Almost makes you wonder what it means to be "American".
How is it ridiculous to offer Spanish? We shouldn't learn other languages? It's not offered to accommodate Spanish-speaking immigrants, it's to learn the language, and it's impossible to control who takes those classes. There is also English class, or ESL, that is required in nearly every school. They will be learning English too, so they are helping them learn English too. So I don't know why it is wrong to teach Spanish.

Yes European countries are great about teaching people English. The countries that many people come from do not have that kind of luxury, they have to come to the United States and learn here. Very few actually resist learning the language. I volunteer with an adult literacy group and we get lots of people from Spanish speaking countries coming to learn, even though there isn't a high amount of immigrants in the area.

Like I said, it is nearly impossible to function in the United States without speaking some amount of English. Just forcing people into it without any sort of middle ground with the amount of immigrants we have is wrong and they'll never learn that way. Also, the majority of immigrants into France come from northern Africa where a large portion of the people already speak French. The only way for that to be an accurate comparison would be for the immigrants coming to the United States to be Canadian.
Laughing Respecting other people's cultures? You gotta be kidding me. Americans barely respect African-American culture. It'll be a long time before the majority of Americans come anywhere near respecting others' cultures. How is calling someone from South America a Mexican respectful? How is calling a Korean a Chinese respectful? Americans are a racist people as they have been for hundreds of years. If Americans are to respect other people's cultures, then attitudes like that presented in this article will have to change.
@Something: The WORLD is racist, not just Americans.

Oh, and calling someone black is less racist than calling them an "African-American", as that makes two critical assumptions. 1) that they are african (heaven forbid black people come from a continent other than Africa Rolling Eyes ), and 2) that they are American. On the other hand, calling someone black just describes a physical characteristic.
It annoys me when people call Jamaicans (sp?) African-Americans. Especially if they don't even live in America.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours