Okay so I deliberated for a long time but I decided to have a crack at a contest entry. Been a long time since I did any calc coding (even though I should have been ...) but I'm hoping to get something at least in playable demo form released - even if it's not by the deadline, but fingers crossed.

I have been busy since Friday coding a lot of background routines for my idea, which will be *kind of* like Splatoon in the sense that you run around trying to cover as much of the play area in ink vs an AI player. The player with the most coverage when the timer expires wins. After the contest I plan on adding more modes, but since timing is tight this is likely the only game mode for now.

So far I've got the destructible tilemap stuff working, have some pretty basic sprites and have a simple title screen shown here:

So yeah, called Splatown lol

This screenshot shows how the player & AI can draw over the map in memory etc
The AI is VERY basic...

Unfortunately I won't have other Splatoon like features just yet, like swimming and different weapons etc since there is only like 2 days remaining.

NOTE: The map screenshot is what things look like in memory, the player will see things from a different point of view Smile.
Wow, I was NOT expecting this! That's amazing progress so far! But I'm curious, what view would the player see?
Thanks NoaxPrime Smile.

I've been hacking away at it today and can show you what it will look like for the player.

A completely rewritten mode 7 style renderer!

Note that this is very hacking and a bit buggy, but the concept appears to work imo!

The tiles are all test ones and the sprites are quick ones I made that I might have to redo later on. The AI is basically random though lol ...... :S
WHAT?! How did you do that? That's incredible!
That looks absolutely incredible. I can’t believe you did that much in the time frame you had. Imagine what you could have done in the full month...

Also, would you mind releasing your mode 7 engine after the contest? I have some stuff I want to try out with one. Also, it would be a game changer for calculator gaming in general.
Just to clarify- commandblockguy's program counts as a valid entry because the map acts as the player and you can modify the map.

This is different than a game in which you modify the map as the player through an avatar. It's kind of a subtle difference.

In order for this entry to count, you'd have to have some form of UI where you can modify the player in some way that impacts gameplay.

Sorry for the last minute update- this really isn't fair to you because I only just noticed.

Good luck!

Edit: also, how much of this did you have to rewrite- from discord you made it sound like you had to rewrite most of it.
This is AMAZING! I always wanted a mode 7 style engine on my ce! I love it!!
After a quick discussion with Kerm and commandblockguy on discord, a consensus was reached- you can't use parts of other programs if the programs in question are not public before the start of the contest. I feel this is fair.

Sorry about the rapid, last-minute change. I'd love to see this program (and I'm sure the vast majority of the community will agree here) come to fruition, but maybe not as a contest entry.
If this isn't going to be in the contest, or if it's withdrawed, can we get a download link of what you got so far. I kind of want to play with it already!
Well, I think it's fine if this won't be in the competition because otherwise this would be VERY rushed, and might not end up as good as hoped.
All good, rules are rules - I had a feeling it would go this way given the feedback I've received since before I even started lol.

But at least I can stop working on this for now as there is no rush/deadline, though I am happy with how much progress I made in 4 days. I was able to do this because I was ill - but I'm a bit better now so I have other work to do.

Not sure what I will do with this project, hopefully it won't become yet ANOTHER shelved tech demo of mine lol Very Happy. Sure was good to do some calc coding since I've been out of it for a while Smile.
Well, if you end up polishing up the build you have, I'd love to see what you have so far!
NoaxPrime wrote:
Well, if you end up polishing up the build you have, I'd love to see what you have so far!

That's what we said about xlibce Laughing

Anyway, this is a pretty sweet demo tr1p1ea! How did you implement the mode7 stuff? Or rather, do you have any good recommendations for learning? Razz
tr1p1ea wrote:
But at least I can stop working on this for now as there is no rush/deadline, though I am happy with how much progress I made in 4 days.

Nonono, keep working on it! Otherwise you'll pick it back up in 4 years! Razz

I'm quite impressed with how smooth you got it to run even with few optimizations! I hope you're able to keep developing this (and release xlibce) even with your extra work.
tr1p1ea wrote:
All good, rules are rules - I had a feeling it would go this way given the feedback I've received since before I even started 0x5.

But at least I can stop working on this for now as there is no rush/deadline, though I am happy with how much progress I made in 4 days. I was able to do this because I was ill - but I'm a bit better now so I have other work to do.

Not sure what I will do with this project, hopefully it won't become yet ANOTHER shelved tech demo of mine 0x5 Very Happy. Sure was good to do some calc coding since I've been out of it for a while Smile.

This is simply to great to stop coding. We all love the progress, contest or not. I knew I wasn't the only one who wants to try it! Who knows, maybe you can make more maps or something.
Still, I think this is cool and I would say it's worth releasing after a few polishes here and there.
Congratulations tr1p1ea, this looks quite amazing!
I've showed the screenshot and post on TI-Planet too, everyone show know some sweet stuff like that are in the works Very Happy
Woo! It's great seeing that mode7 engine in action!
Amazing indeed. Looking forward to a release, when you have some time to work on it Wink
Thanks man, it was a very rushed throw together job because I decided to start it too late.

I lost the last update I had due to a HDD failure, but I have an earlier version to build back up on.

I plan on taking out all of the hacks and streamlining things a bit more before continuing.
tr1p1ea wrote:
I lost the last update I had due to a HDD failure, but I have an earlier version to build back up on.

Is there a reason that you do not subscribe to any online revision control? This isn't the first time. That sucks man.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours