Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.


Cemetech Contest #22: Sprite Delight is all about letting users customize their game. You can submit a game in any language, for any platform. Games created for this contest should have some kind of menu or editor where the user/player designs their avatar. The options they make while designing their avatar should impact gameplay.

General
Games can be in any language, for any platform. Your entry must allow players to create their own avatar in some way. Having a list of pre-made avatars to choose from does not count. The result of their design should have an effect on gameplay. This can be as simple as equippable weapons and armor in a combat game or as complex as a game that lets you create and fly a plane. Be creative! You cannot copy or use part of any other program, and no program previously published is eligible; this has to be entirely new. You can choose how exactly you implement this. There must not be any inappropriate content, or any content that discriminates against others. This contest is open to all Cemetech users, whether you’re a contestant or a voter. Voting will be done in a separate thread, and not in this one.

Submitting your program
Submit your entries through email (contest at this website’s domain). Submit it in the same format as you would upload the file to the Cemetech archives. In the readme file, please include a contest specific section that includes the language it’s written in and the platform it was written for. Include any optional screenshot(s) in the submission itself. (If you need help getting screenshots, you should post in this thread). All entries must be in by 11:59 PM EST on the due dates outlined below. You may only submit one entry (if you want to submit an update to your entry, PM either _iPhoenix_ or KermMartian, and re-email your submission).

Development
Please create a thread to document your progress with the title format "CC22: <username>". You are allowed to receive help for this particular contest, provided that it is done publicly on either the forums, or on SAX/IRC. If you receive help from someone, make sure to give them credit!

Timeline
The contest will begin on March 31st and end on May 1st. Assuming no delays or extensions, voting will start on May 2nd, and end on May 12th.

Good luck and happy programming!
Quote:
Having a list of pre-made avatars to choose from does not count
So just to clarify, can we have multiple parts of the avatar pre-defined (i.e. different hair styles, or different faces being pre-defined) or does this mean the user needs to create the hairstyle themselves? Can we have both?
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Quote:
Having a list of pre-made avatars to choose from does not count
So just to clarify, can we have multiple parts of the avatar pre-defined (i.e. different hair styles, or different faces being pre-defined) or does this mean the user needs to create the hairstyle themselves? Can we have both?


Yes, parts of the avatar can be premade.

The user doesn't need to design each individual piece, but it's certainly allowed.
I guess I'll try and participate...
So in theory, would a game where you can choose to outfit your character with specific tools that change the chances of winning be acceptable?
RogerWilco wrote:
So in theory, would a game where you can choose to outfit your character with specific tools that change the chances of winning be acceptable?


Yep! That's perfectly allowed.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
RogerWilco wrote:
So in theory, would a game where you can choose to outfit your character with specific tools that change the chances of winning be acceptable?


Yep! That's perfectly allowed.


Ok, thanks! I look forward to competing! Very Happy
I'm using Scratch 2.0 for this!
Does the avatar editor and the gameplay have to be separate or can I combine them.
Michael2_3B wrote:
Does the avatar editor and the gameplay have to be separate or can I combine them.


Not sure how that would work out but sure!
Would making a simulation thing where you change certain parts of the simulation and seeing how it changes be allowed?
jcgter777 wrote:
Would making a simulation thing where you change certain parts of the simulation and seeing how it changes be allowed?


As long as it's a game and the parts being controlled affect the player sprite, it's all good.

If your game doesn't have a player sprite, I am allowing games to have customizable maps and stuff.

You sent me further information on discord, clarifying that you meant a sort of science simulation where users could alter famous science experiments.

This is not a valid entry on two levels.

1) It's not a game. My definition of a game is very loose ("It must masquerade as a game"), yet this somehow fails to pass.
2) There's nothing here that particularly follows this contest's theme. At least, in my eyes.

This is not to say this wouldn't be super cool- I'd love to see how you would handle this. It's just not a viable entry in this contest Wink
Does the game have to be 100% done at the time of submitting?
Dunno if I'll actually participate, cause college, but I may put a little something together.
Pieman7373 wrote:
Does the game have to be 100% done at the time of submitting?


The only actual requirements are that you have a game that follows the contest theme.

But you should submit something presentable- remember that cemetechians will indeed be voting to choose the winner.

Luxen wrote:
Dunno if I'll actually participate, cause college, but I may put a little something together.


I hope you do- good luck!
If user choice impacts gameplay, can different combinations of predefined fuels/propellants impact gameplay, along with other aspects, such as control input? If I can do this, I'll try my best, I have AP tests in May...
SM84CE wrote:
If user choice impacts gameplay, can different combinations of predefined fuels/propellants impact gameplay, along with other aspects, such as control input? If I can do this, I'll try my best, I have AP tests in May...


As long as you have the user making more than one choice while making their character and these choices impact gameplay, you are in the clear.

If by control input you mean something like movement keys that are inputted in real time by the player during whatever form of gameplay you have, no, that does not count as "designing their character". That counts as "playing the game".

To clarify, the selections made by the player don't necessarily need to be the only choices the user makes, you are allowed to have users input stuff during gameplay.
Must the game feature graphics? I have an idea, but the game doesn't actually feature any graphics right now, just menus. Players will be creating a character, but the character won't actually appear.
Zingzing wrote:
Must the game feature graphics? I have an idea, but the game doesn't actually feature any graphics right now, just menus. Players will be creating a character, but the character won't actually appear.


That is fine.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement