Hello,

As some of you may know I am an avid fan of the TI-85. Inspired by what CVSoft has been doing by collecting and documenting TI-82 hardware revisions, I thought it might be fun to start doing the same for the 85 (or at least getting an idea of what is out there). According to TICalc, there are eleven ROM revisions (including the 8.5V ViewScreen model) out there and I have seen two different faceplate designs (one with a white "TI-85" and one with an italicized gold/yellow "TI-85").

I have the former with a ROM revision of 10.0. What 85s do other members of the community have and what have others gathered on the history of the 85 as a whole?
I've updated TI-Planet's wiki article about the TI-85 to reflect what we've gathered so far about it regarding hardware revisions Smile
https://wiki.tiplanet.org/TI-85#R.C3.A9visions_mat.C3.A9rielles

The VSC ones probably exist in each of the revisions, but oh well.

Let us know if you have/find any unknown datecode for a hw revision (or out of the known date range)!
Adriweb wrote:
I've updated TI-Planet's wiki article about the TI-85 to reflect what we've gathered so far about it regarding hardware revisions Smile
https://wiki.tiplanet.org/TI-85#R.C3.A9visions_mat.C3.A9rielles

The VSC ones probably exist in each of the revisions, but oh well.

Let us know if you have/find any unknown datecode for a hw revision (or out of the known date range)!

Thank you! That's very helpful! Very Happy

I now know that I have a HW2 revision model. Do you know where I can find the date code? There are numbers on the back, but I can't decipher if it is a date code or not.

I can post a picture if you want. It says CBL on the back if that is of any interest. Smile
Actually I don't know what the HW2 means in the wiki, I'm not familiar with the 85.
From the date and change in MB I guess it would correspond to hw revisions G and up.

Anyway, on the back of your calc, to the right of the serial number, you'll have a code like "I-0395H". This means it's been manufactured in the "I" (Inventec) factory in March 1995, and it's a HW revision H.
Adriweb wrote:
Actually I don't know what the HW2 means in the wiki, I'm not familiar with the 85.
From the date and change in MB I guess it would correspond to hw revisions G and up.

Anyway, on the back of your calc, to the right of the serial number, you'll have a code like "I-0395H". This means it's been manufactured in the "I" (Inventec) factory in March 1995, and it's a HW revision H.

Ok, cool! Thanks!

It looks like my 85 has a date code of I-0496I. So that means that I have a calculator made in the Inventech factory from April of 1996 that is HW revision I. Very Happy

Do you know why my 85 would say "CBL" next to the date code? I know what the CBL is, I just don't know why it would say that on the back. Smile
I'm quite interested in this topic. I also like using the TI-85.
Not that it's uncommon, but I have an I-0396I CBL TI-85 with ROM 10.0. From what I have read, the CBL variant has at least ROM 9.0 and introduces support for the programs required to collect data from the CBL.
Pi Time wrote:
I'm quite interested in this topic. I also like using the TI-85.
Not that it's uncommon, but I have an I-0396I CBL TI-85 with ROM 10.0. From what I have read, the CBL variant has at least ROM 9.0 and introduces support for the programs required to collect data from the CBL.

Ok, cool! Thanks for that bit of info Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours