Would you like (yet another) shell on your CE?
Yes!!! I'M EXITED!!!
 10%  [ 2 ]
Kinda
 36%  [ 7 ]
Not really
 52%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 19

I am working on a new TI 84 CE Shell: Chevron VS Shell
(name is credited to everyone on cemetech, as well as Alvajoy123, P_T, and I think disjax helped, but not for sure on the top of my head)
Oh I think pi_runner and _iPhoenix_ also helped, but still credit to them too.

IT STILL HAS SOME BUGS, run prgmINPUT to see a demo of opening a program from and ICE program!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1p8OgQsdnNLvjfCYzwLNwDCa6GynZM5tq?usp=sharing

Someone please look at my code and help me figure out what I'm doing worng in the Chevron Source program.

I found running programs is pretty simple, but look at the code of INPUTSRC (near the end) to see the code I used, given and help by Alvajoy123 and others (From Xenon and NOS), and you'll see how it opens a program, and I hope I don't get in trouble for that, because appropriate credit was given, but I do not want to get into trouble
CEMETECH FOR LIFE!!
Here's some features before you submit in the Poll:

- Windows-based GUI.
- Popups are movable, go to the popup title, press [2nd] to select it, move it around, and press [alpha] to deselect and clear to exit the import/export popup (it shouldn't show, that's a glitch)
- Click on the battery to view more information about your battery

Features not added (some I need help)
- The ability to change from analog and digital clocks (need help with analog)
- Completed GUI and related functions
- Imported Program Icons need to show right (need help on that too).
- More you'd expect, and:
- More I can't think of.
Quote:
(name is credited to everyone on cemetech, as well as Alvajoy123, P_T, and I think disjax helped, but not for sure on the top of my head)
Oh I think pi_runner and _iPhoenix_ also helped, but still credit to them too.

disjax is the name of the discord <==> irc linker Razz
Ok, recoding is probably necessary
Can I run programs from the Desktop or the command window already?
Neither, can't figure out how to get it to work, BUT I will add it in the terminal and add a feature to search and open them directly, as seen in prgmINPUT I provided
I will be redoing the whole shell.
Planned Features:
- New GUI. It will be like no other. I think I might make it have a "Standard" and "Space" theme. The whole GUI will be based off of the Space theme.
- New cursor(s) the image is here that I am copying from:
https://imgur.com/VpSSNyo
These cursor sprites will work as they should. These sprites reminds me of the Windows GUI, which is what Chevron will be "BASED" from, but with different themes.
- Icons will be firstly editable. The shell will not get the program's icon, but instead make a 16*16 Blank Icon, and you will be able to edit it afterwards.
- Settings, Time, and Battery pop ups will work properly, and a built-in program (not actually a program, but built-in code) will allow you to make Custom Pop-ups. These custom pop ups will be shown, but will not change any of the Shell's functions.
- Left and Right clicks will work properly.
- More features later, please comment your recommendations that I should add or change.
As far as the cursor part of the GUI, I would also recommend adding a quicker way to access programs as a mouse cursor is not the most practical way to navigate when you only have four buttons to press.
Jeffitus wrote:
As far as the cursor part of the GUI, I would also recommend adding a quicker way to access programs as a mouse cursor is not the most practical way to navigate when you only have four buttons to press.

I will add this option, thanks for the comment! Razz

So here's what I'm thinking:
First, if the appvar CHEVRON is missing, the shell will remake the appvar. This appvar, once made, will have a default of "Quick Navigation", and you can change it to "Mouse". That's what I'll add.
So, the "Quick Navigation" will be inspired by DCSE, only because of the black cursor behind programs so you can scroll that way, of course, it will be of my own idea as to how the cursor will look. But that cursor will be taken as inspiration from DCSE, as the Cursor will move very similarly. Kerm Martian will be added to the Credits for that.

The cursor seems to have some bugs: It has a blue background (Only while moving?) which shows while hovering over windows, and if you move the cursor down a black line appears.
It's a cool concept you have, if you manage to fix all of the bugs I'd probably use this shell.
You need to add transparency to your sprite if you don't want the blue background. (TransparentSprite or TransparentSprite_NoClip is what you're looking for)

The cursor is leaving a black trail behind because the very top part of the cursor isn't being erased. You'll notice the left, right, and bottom part have a slight blue boarder which is erasing the cursor as it travels, the top part doesn't have that boarder. You'll either need to add that boarder, or add something that will erase that part of the cursor when you scroll down.

Could you upload your source to Github? It would make your code sharing a lot simpler.

This reminds me a LOT of Windows 95, I like it! Keep it up!
You should add a task bar. Smile

Good job Smile
The Program looks good, I like the GUI.

(!) Needed features
The end product should should allow users to run programs from desktop and also should have a menu to view all programs. it should also have a way to view programs ICON (should be in Xenon Src or

so far, so good. keep the good work up!! Smile
Alvajoy123 wrote:
The Program looks good, I like the GUI.

(!) Needed features
The end product should should allow users to run programs from desktop and also should have a menu to view all programs. it should also have a way to view programs ICON (should be in Xenon Src or

so far, so good. keep the good work up!! Smile

Oh Alvajoy123, that's my problem. I put some of the code from NOS in Chevron, but the code is not working. I need help! Please help me take a look at my source code to fix my problems, and thanks for the comment you all!

And I'll try to upload it to github from now on
The code is still the same, I haven't done any new updates as of yet. But that cursor is a problem tho! I'll try to fix that as well! Very Happy
slimeenergy wrote:

The cursor seems to have some bugs: It has a blue background (Only while moving?) which shows while hovering over windows, and if you move the cursor down a black line appears.
It's a cool concept you have, if you manage to fix all of the bugs I'd probably use this shell.

I will fix that! Also, I have noticed myself that in this popup, the cursor moves a lot slower than it would if you exit that pop up. After exiting that popup, the cursor fixes the black lines issue and it moves a lot more faster.
BTW, close out of the popup to enter the shell! All bugs will be fixed shortly!
I am currently COMPLETELY Reworking the shell, and so far, so good. I do not have my link cable, so I cannot post screenshots, but I CAN tell you what it's like so-far:

- The GUI is almost exactly the same, but I added a Chevron VS Shell Logo. The cursor is based off of DCSE/DCS 9. It's a black box, which is the best color to be seen on a blue background. TI-Basic/ASM programs can be executed from the Shell itself, given you typed the program name, and selected the type of program (Basic or ASM)
Why'd you choose the name Chevron VS Shell again? Every time I read the thread name it looks like a court case to me (like Plessy vs Ferguson). Laughing
I look forward to seeing some new screenshots!
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Why'd you choose the name Chevron VS Shell again? Every time I read the thread name it looks like a court case to me (like Plessy vs Ferguson). 0x5

I don't remember who gave me the name, but the VS is not vs. (as in versus). It stands for something, but I didn't have the idea. If I cannot figure out who did it, I will see if Chevron VS Shell is a good name. I like it, but I don't know exactly what it means, so I might change it.
TimmyTurner62 wrote:
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Why'd you choose the name Chevron VS Shell again? Every time I read the thread name it looks like a court case to me (like Plessy vs Ferguson). 0x5

I don't remember who gave me the name, but the VS is not vs. (as in versus). It stands for something, but I didn't have the idea. If I cannot figure out who did it, I will see if Chevron VS Shell is a good name. I like it, but I don't know exactly what it means, so I might change it.

hehe... If you can't figure it out, add in a minigame with 2 entities: Chevron and Shell. Problel Solved.

***SM84CE drops mic and walks away

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours