Internet Stumped over Geometry Problem

After my class learns Chapter 10 of Geometry, they might be able to solve it.
You can solve this geometrically.
The coordinates (-1/2,√3/2) means the left line of the triangle is the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle with side lengths of 1/2 and √3/2. With Pythagoras, you can figure out the length is 1. The right side is obviously the same length since it is also a radius of the same circle. I think you can convince yourself by looking at it that the top line is also of length 1 but you can also just look at the coordinates and check with the distance formula. So we have an equilateral triangle of side length 1.
You can then solve the area of that using the formula (√3/4)*a², which follows from the Pythagorean theorem again. Then you just have to subtract that from the area of the sector. Since it is formed by an equilateral triangle, the angle is 60°, so you can do (60/360)*πr², with a side length of 1, that gives you an area of π/6. You then subtract the area of the triangle, which is √3/4 to get the answer: π/6-√3/4 or approx. 0.0906.

Edit: That was fun! I haven't done this kind of problem since high school Evil or Very Mad
clevor wrote:
Internet Stumped over Geometry Problem

After my class learns Chapter 10 of Geometry, they might be able to solve it.

What Geometry class r u in? I'm in Geo honors, and we are doing circles for chapter 10 as well, lol, we might have the same textbook.
For the record: I figured out how to solve that one pretty quickly (within a few seconds). Didn't solve it, though. Pretty sure womp is right Smile

(There's a big difference between figuring out how to solve for a certain number and actually solving it. Solving it is trivial; it's how you go to figuring out how to solve it that's important...)

If you like these kinds of problems, go and take a look at AoPS. It's essentially Cemetech but math and also they actually have classes and are an accredited school. At least in California. The community is very friendly, and I suspect that Cemetech and AoPS (despite their different focuses... foci?) have communities that would mix very well.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours