Today I noticed that one of the pixels on my screen near the top left is either dead or stuck. It's not solid color, in fact I can't seem to figure out what color it's trying to display (it changes when I move the screen around) so I'm hoping it's just a stuck pixel. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I looked online and a lot of solutions involve physically touching the screen which I can't do anymore. I saw some software fixes too though, one displays colored static on the screen which has about a 50% chance of fixing the pixel. I was wondering if this could also work on the CE? I made a quick program that fills the screen with random colors that change really quickly to simulate the software, but I have no idea if it's actually going to work the same way.

I'd like to know if anyone knows anything about these displays that could fix the pixel.

Here are some images, it's really obvious in the checkerboard ones.
(click for full images)

Dang that sucks, yeah it could be either dead or stuck.

Also not to be silly, but could it also be something stuck to the screen like dust etc?

I would try some software solutions before looking at more drastic measures like manual massage etc.
It... worked?
I wasn't expecting to make this post but that color changing program actually fixed it! I left it running for an hour and when I came back it was working again.

If anyone is wondering the code I used, here's the ICE source code:

Code:
[i]PIXEL
det(0
Repeat getKey(1)
randInt(1,255)->C
det(5,C
End
det(1

If you don't want to compile it, here's the compiled code. Press the down arrow to exit and make sure you have the C libraries!
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al_ZukYl7Xyyp08GxCAteVheAcyR
Nice work man!

You should upload this to the archives Smile.
TheLastMillennial wrote:
It... worked?
I wasn't expecting to make this post but that color changing program actually fixed it! I left it running for an hour and when I came back it was working again.

If anyone is wondering the code I used, here's the ICE source code:

Code:
[i]PIXEL
det(0
Repeat getKey(1)
randInt(1,255)->C
det(5,C
End
det(1

If you don't want to compile it, here's the compiled code. Press the down arrow to exit and make sure you have the C libraries!
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al_ZukYl7Xyyp08GxCAteVheAcyR

What's the physics behind this? How could a single pixel become "stuck", and how can a program that turns it on/off make it "unstuck"?
TheLastMillennial wrote:

Code:
[i]PIXEL
det(0
Repeat getKey(1
det(5,randInt(1,255
End
det(1

/me can't help optimizing...
I dunno the detailed physics, but here's the article I referred from that helped me fix it, it also explains a bit into what's going on and why each fix can fix the pixel.
I got an email back from TI-cares basically stating that my calculator is screwed and I need to pay $81 to replace it. Rolling Eyes
I haven't told them it's fixed yet. I've sent them back an email asking where I can buy a replacement display, I doubt they'll tell me anything useful though. I also told them I took the calculator apart, I wonder how they'll react to that. Razz
I once had an LCD monitor that developed a stuck pixel (it always stayed a cyan color; most visible against a dark background. I tried those various “static” apps and stuff, but nothing seemed to help, so I just lived with it for a while. Then several months later, I discovered it had finally fixed itself at some point! Crazy.

That's about my only experience with bad pixels up to this point. Except an old camcorder I came across recently which has a stuck CCD pixel! Bright blue dot in the middle of the frame, even in total darkness. Pretty annoying. Razz
I guess I'm a bit late, but you might be able to get physical access to the LCD from behind.

You can order replacement LCDs from the same place TI gets them---direct from the original manufacturer (can you read and write Chinese?). Given that the TI-84 Plus CE already has a screen protector on it, such Shenzhen shenanigans are probably more profitable for the B&W models. I'm sure you could get a nice little side hustle going if you could lay out the $1000 or so you'd need to get a full production run of LCDs---you'd only have to fix a few dozen calculators to make back the initial investment.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours