When would "TI-Nspireā„¢ CX II-T CAS" be available at the stores?
BushBush Saur wrote:
I saw that the next t3 is march 2019, and one of the things is exciting updates to the ti Nspire world. Yeah, it's propably coming out in march. Graphing Calculator

enough said.

Hopefully, TI isn't monitoring this thread and are NOT playing by Kerm Martian's "you ask for a release, the prgm gets a 1 week delay"
SM84CE wrote:
BushBush Saur wrote:
I saw that the next t3 is march 2019, and one of the things is exciting updates to the ti Nspire world. Yeah, it's propably coming out in march. Graphing Calculator

enough said.

Hopefully, TI isn't monitoring this thread and are NOT playing by Kerm Martian's "you ask for a release, the prgm gets a 1 week delay"

Haha TI has been observed to lurk occasionally Rolling Eyes
I am new to cemetech.

Has anyone heard if the US and European version (T) will have the same programming capabilities?
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Now give it a touch screen, a 512mhz cpu, and improve the track-pad and I might buy it! Razz

I bought one of these, the CX model to be specific, and I find the Navigation and User Interface to be absolutely atrocious. It's not at all intuitive. Is it based on M$ Windows or what? Starting out, I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. Eventually I did discover somehow that it is done with the "<CTRL> key.

That said, it's very user unfriendly. It desperately needs a touch screen and the touch pad is a huge question mark. Android phone don't have a touchpad, and they are easier to navigate. I bought an HP-Prime which does have a touch screen and the navigator button at the top seems to be a much more positive maner to get around the device.

Getting back to the so called "Home" screen, how do you get from that to the Document you are working on, and why do you return the Home Screen to add more pages to your existing document. It seems the <Menu> button from within the document should have all the choces that are on the "Home" screen. Why wouldn't there be something like "New Page" and then the option of what type of page you want.

The "Home" screen should have a button "Return to document" or something to that effect. It's an entirely clumsy calculator from my new user perspective.
GRB wrote:
I bought one of these, the CX model to be specific, and I find the Navigation and User Interface to be absolutely atrocious. It's not at all intuitive.

Maybe it's a generation thing ? idk.
I can't bear the HP Prime philosophy of just apps and no documents with everything setup inside the way I want it. The HP Prime is more of a calculator that has several distinct features just thrown together inside a home screen and you jump from one to another as you need to. The Nspire architecture is file-based, allowing you to switch from a context to a totally different other one by simply opening a document. And this "context" can be comprised of many pages themselves having multiple apps linked together, interactive with one another, sharing variables, states, all with dynamic stuff. It's really a whole different philosophy. Once you're in it, you can't go back. It's too powerful to abandon.
In fact, it's such a totally different approach (with different goals) that TI also thought about people not having the need to create documents with apps etc. all the time, when you just have a quick calculation to make : just go into the scratchpad from the home or the dedicated keyboard key. There you'll have a fixed calculator tab and graphing tab. Easy, nothing to configure.

GRB wrote:
Is it based on M$ Windows or what?

It's based on a folder/files architecture, yes. But that's not windows-specific. That allows many great stuff that other calculators simply can't do. I detail this a bit in further replies below and more explicitly in the hp prime review article that I link later as well

GRB wrote:
Starting out, I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. Eventually I did discover somehow that it is done with the "<CTRL> key.

Wut? All graphing calcs except the numworks do it this way. [2nd][on], [ctrl][on], or something like that. Just read the keyboard labels, you'll notice it's right there. Colors aren't random, they indicate which modifier key is to be used.

GRB wrote:
That said, it's very user unfriendly.

That's your opinion though. Mine is that other calcs, especially the HP Prime, are a pain in the a** to use. Simpler calcs (84+) are OK because they are made simple on purpose. But don't expect to do something complex with multiple apps working together, when you can manipulate graphs, equations, formulas, scripts, all interactively and at the same time. The HP Prime also can't do this. AFAIK, there's only the Nspire series that has achieved this level of dynamic interaction between everything in a document.

GRB wrote:
It desperately needs a touch screen

I don't believe so. Putting a touch screen where the UI isn't made for it won't result in a good UX.
Lots of stuff would have to be redesigned for things to be done correctly. and even though TI had looked into it, they said that the screen is basically too small to provide a sufficiently good UX. All I can find for a good use of a touch screen on a calc is graph zooming, basically...

GRB wrote:
the touch pad is a huge question mark.

Its reactivity/accuracy wasn't that great on the CX yeah. It's better in the CX II.
It's sometimes useful to quickly reach an element by make the cursor show up (and with ndless you can control it with a USB mouse) but honestly you rarely need it, precisely because the OS makes it so the focus is appropriately automatically located where it makes as much sense as possible.

GRB wrote:
Android phone don't have a touchpad, and they are easier to navigate.

That may explain your comments. You're used to one type of device only, and intuitively want other devices/UI to behave like the one you know. No, that won't work. OF course the HP Prime being a bit more touch-oriented, it fits your vision better.

GRB wrote:
I bought an HP-Prime which does have a touch screen and the navigator button at the top seems to be a much more positive maner to get around the device.

That aligns with what I just said above - the UI and the hardware go hand in hand. Thats why you wouldn't want to just throw a touch screen on the Nspire - its design is made that way on purpose. Stuff would have to change in the UI to fit touch use cases. Just look at the Nspire iPad app, it's really nice, but has a big screen so they have a completely different UI where touch makes sense.
For more examples of some UI flaws I noticed, from my initial review of the HP Prime, but also with a general analysis and comparisons of the Prime vs the Nspire CX, I suggest you read the part 6 here: https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12805

GRB wrote:
why do you return the Home Screen to add more pages to your existing document. It seems the <Menu> button from within the document should have all the choces that are on the "Home" screen.

[menu] is for actions related to the current app. So, it will have menu items dedicated for math stuff if you're in the calculator, plots and equations if you in the graph app, etc.
[doc] is for actions related to the current... document. So you'll find there page management, layout, doc settings etc.
I mean, it just makes sense to me.

GRB wrote:
Why wouldn't there be something like "New Page" and then the option of what type of page you want.

Did you actually explore the menus even a bit? Just press the [doc] key where you'll find the "insert" item describing exactly what you want, with even more possibilities: either insert in the current page (so ti will split the view), or in a new page/tab. A useful shortcut is [Ctrl][i] (as in insert page). It will just spawn a new tab where you will choose which app to use (calculator, graph, spreadsheet etc.) So, literally 3 keypresses, app selection included. Not sure how that could get easier. Oh wait, it can! [home] then click on the app you want. So two simple ways to do that.

GRB wrote:
The "Home" screen should have a button "Return to document" or something to that effect. It's an entirely clumsy calculator from my new user perspective.

Sigh... Press '4' ? I mean it's written right there: Documents > Current

All in all, both the HP Prime and Nspire CX have different philosophies and goals. Don't bash one (or the other) without really knowing what you're talking about though, you'll make a fool of yourself.
If you're looking for more raw power and more powerful programmability (by default, anyway), choose the HP Prime, that's just an indisputable fact, even with the CX II refresh. if you want a much bigger community, an almost infinitely bigger program archive (either in basic/lua/native (through jailbreaking) programming), and/or a more computer-like experience, choose the Nspire. Of course there are actual school curriculum stuff to consider. But for high school, for instance, both will have no problem fulfilling your needs, most probably.
I'm looking forward to buying the new TI nSpire CX II CAS later this year. It's one of the calculators I have not worked with much.
It looks great but if it is locked down like the other ones then it is not even good.
It's more locked down than the Clickpad, Touchpad, CM and CX I...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours