Ok, so as soon as I can get collision detection for homescreen 100% figured out, I will be slowly working on this, and It will probably be a good while for a demo to even be close to released, but I will do this eventually.
Sonlen wrote:
Ok, so as soon as I can get collision detection for homescreen 100% figured out, I will be slowly working on this, and It will probably be a good while for a demo to even be close to released, but I will do this eventually.
Fun stuff! So this is going to be a homescreen Legend of Zelda?
KermMartian wrote:
Sonlen wrote:
Fun stuff! So this is going to be a homescreen Legend of Zelda?

Well a bit of both, the pause menu with the items and whatnot I am hoping to get on the graphscreen, but that is where a custom gui menu would be a MUST, and I have yet to learn that, with the selections as the items instead of like a battle screen.... So yeah, this will probably be put on hold when tifreak8x gets to the point where I can help with PP.
That sounds like a plan, I hope it's a success. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
That sounds like a plan, I hope it's a success. Smile

Any good places to look for a way to make a gui like on the original game?
Umm, how about drawing it as a pic on the graphscreen? The transition sounds about impossible to duplicate in BASIC, but the menu itself wouldn't be. if you make the HUD look identical on the homescreen and graphscreen (if you have a HUD Razz) it will look more like the original IMO
willrandship wrote:
Umm, how about drawing it as a pic on the graphscreen? The transition sounds about impossible to duplicate in BASIC, but the menu itself wouldn't be. if you make the HUD look identical on the homescreen and graphscreen (if you have a HUD Razz) it will look more like the original IMO

The issue about the Graphscreen, I would have to split every single room into 4 parts, or half the size of all the sprites, which are all 16x16, and 8x8 from a 16x16 would take alot of modification, even though most of the tiles are just different pallates on the game, it would need a ton less tilemaps, but shrinking is never that easy.
Yeah, it would be hard to make it look good in monochrome 8x8 sprites. The main menu would probably look fine on the graphscreen with some modification, though, which is what I think willrandship is suggesting.
That is the main reason for wanting to use the graphscreen, black and white won't compare to 8 bit I beleive
Sonlen wrote:
That is the main reason for wanting to use the graphscreen, black and white won't compare to 8 bit I beleive
Sorry, I'm not following you there. What do you mean by black-and-white versus 8-bit? 8-bit color?
KermMartian wrote:
Sonlen wrote:
Sorry, I'm not following you there. What do you mean by black-and-white versus 8-bit? 8-bit color?

I messed up, 8 bit is what the nes used, and 2 bit, or black and white(also monochome), is just as it sounds, 4 bit results in 16 color pallates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth
Sonlen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Sonlen wrote:

I messed up, 8 bit is what the nes used, and 2 bit, or black and white(also monochome), is just as it sounds, 4 bit results in 16 color pallates.

I know, I'm quite familiar with color depth, but my confused was thinking you meant 4-bit color or 16 colors. Smile Glad we got that cleared up.
KermMartian wrote:
Sonlen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Sonlen wrote:

I know, I'm quite familiar with color depth, but my confused was thinking you meant 4-bit color or 16 colors. Smile Glad we got that cleared up.

I was really hoping you knew the difference, you actually had me worried there. Laughing
Hehe, I haven't been coding and hacking hardware for the past 15 years or so for nothing, you know. Smile

So in all truthfulness and realisticness, how far off is this project? It seems to me that Zelda is a pretty massive undertaking, and that perhaps your BASIC skills are still developing to the point where this would be within your abilities?

Here is what I got for the sword attack, what do you think?
Sonlen wrote:

Looks nice to me! Smile You didn't answer my question, though:

So in all truthfulness and realisticness, how far off is this project? It seems to me that Zelda is a pretty massive undertaking, and that perhaps your BASIC skills are still developing to the point where this would be within your abilities?
KermMartian wrote:
Sonlen wrote:

Looks nice to me! Smile You didn't answer my question, though:

The AI is all I am truly worried about, and scrolling maps, other then that, I can make it all, just making it work is the issue... I could get every single map made in a week if I really wanted to, I have quite a few sources to pull from. It would take a few more things to get going and I can get alot of the basic things going, this will be a long process, but I tend to learn coding faster then anything else amazingly enough. I hope that answers your question.
It definitely does, I just want to make sure that you don't bite off more than you can chew. Smile I've seen many a beginner injure their reputation by announcing massive projects before they had the skills or time to complete such projects, and while the scope of yours is a bit more manageable, I still want to make sure you're mindful of what you're taking on. Smile Sounds like you have it under control, though, so good luck.

Regarding possible characters to use for objects and sprites, have you checked out this program that TIFreak8x and I made together?
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/384/38404.html
KermMartian wrote:
It definitely does, I just want to make sure that you don't bite off more than you can chew. Smile I've seen many a beginner injure their reputation by announcing massive projects before they had the skills or time to complete such projects, and while the scope of yours is a bit more manageable, I still want to make sure you're mindful of what you're taking on. Smile Sounds like you have it under control, though, so good luck.

Regarding possible characters to use for objects and sprites, have you checked out this program that TIFreak8x and I made together?
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/384/38404.html

Well as I said, there are about 3 major things I must learn and get working flawlessly aside from the menu, and that is map scrolling, AI, and the last I didn't mention, but it would be detecting if you have the raft and ladder and those items to use the docks and whatnot. Which I am sure it is as much as If R=1 for the raft to use the docks, and 1->R when you obtain the raft, oh, and I need to figure out how to save, just remembered.
For saving, most people use a named list (eg, [size=small]L[/size]LOZ) to save all of the requisite variables about the player's state; often, multiple lists are required. When gameplay resumes, loading from the save is as simple as reversing the save process, ie, unpacking any save lists back to the original variables and/or lists.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 16
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours