I have a list of ASCII values and I would like to name an appvar with those values. How do I turn those numbers into a string so that I can use them with the commands to create variables?
dankcalculatorbro wrote:
I have a list of ASCII values and I would like to name an appvar with those values. How do I turn those numbers into a string so that I can use them with the commands to create variables?

"<HEX code here>"->VAR
ICE should say the string is automatically squished...
No, use Copy(Str0,L1,length(L1)) provided these are 1-byte values.
Yeah that's also the only way I could find to concatenate strings in ICE.
PT_ wrote:

Does that really work? or are you assuming it was allocated first? or does ICE allocate automatically when copying to Str0-Str9? or did you just assume that it was already allocated? Razz
Some clarification on this would be nice.
beckadamtheinventor wrote:
PT_ wrote:

Does that really work? or are you assuming it was allocated first? or does ICE allocate automatically when copying to Str0-Str9? or did you just assume that it was already allocated? Razz
Some clarification on this would be nice.

Read the documentation.
So I used Copy(Str0, POINTER, BYTES) to turn my ASCII values into a string. When I display the string, it shows all of my characters correctly, but also a bunch of random symbols after it. I know C uses null-terminated strings so I assume the issue is that the string is not terminated? I tried copying a 0 to the end of the string (as the ASCII value for null, but I couldn't find an ASCII chart that confirmed control character values for the TI-84, so I don't know if that is correct). I also tried attaching "\0" to the end of the string, but then the "\0" just appeared as text.
Just checked the documentation, which confirms that ICE strings are null-terminated with a 0 byte.

So, my question is: Why are random characters showing up at the end of my string and how do I fix it?
Because you indeed don't copy the zero-terminating 0-byte. You can easily fix this by copying 1 byte more, i.e. "length(L1)+1".

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours