I am trying out the Brass assembler included with the DCS SDK, and I am having trouble assembling programs from within Bash even though I have Mono installed. Kerm included compile.bat for cmd and compile.sh for Linux shells. Typing compile source in cmd executes compile.bat, assembles source, and outputs source.8xp to the exec. I've tried using sh and source in Bash which I got from StackExchange, but that isn't working.

I'd prefer not to use a batch file or shell script at all so I can take advantage of the option arguments, but I don't know how to use those either. I have checked wikiti's choice of assembler section and the Brass Manual, but neither have helped.

Any suggestions?
If you read the readme that came with the SDK, you will realize that you use the commands:

Code:
chmod +x compile.sh
./compile.sh docde7.asm

Then you merely extract what you need from the shell script.
I'm sorry I don't see a readme in the SDK.

Trying out what you wrote returned this:
Quote:
----------------------------------
Doors CS Assembler/Compiler
Version 2.0L
Written by Kerm Martian
http://www.Cemetech.net
----------------------------------
----- Assembling HelloW.asm for the TI-83/84 Plus...
WARNING: The runtime version supported by this application is unavailable.
Using default runtime: v4.0.30319
Brass Z80 Assembler 1.0.4.11 - Ben Ryves 2005-2006
--------------------------------------------------
Assembling...

Unhandled Exception:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Drawing, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'System.Drawing, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
at Brass.Program.AssembleFile (System.String Filename) <0x7ffc7b30 + 0x00233> in <filename unknown>:0
at Brass.Program.Main (System.String[] args) <0x7ffc2960 + 0x009bf> in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Drawing, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'System.Drawing, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
at Brass.Program.AssembleFile (System.String Filename) <0x7ffc7b30 + 0x00233> in <filename unknown>:0
at Brass.Program.Main (System.String[] args) <0x7ffc2960 + 0x009bf> in <filename unknown>:0
----- There were errors.

The same program assembles fine using cmd.

I'd prefer not to use any script at all, so I can get better at using shells in general, but I'll take whatever help I can get.
Looks like you have an old version of mono. I would highly recommend running:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
I just installed mono yesterday so I don't know how it could be an old version. Anyway I ran update and upgrade but I got the same error message as before.

Also where is the readme that you mentioned earlier?
Mono is huge, so you probably didn't install all the libraries you need (which are packaged separately). Easiest might be to install mono-complete which includes everything, or your could just try to pull in the necessary packages; libmono-cil-dev is probably okay, or the sharp point might be libmono-system2.0-cil (I'm guessing a little as to what you actually need).
Deoxal1 wrote:
Also where is the readme that you mentioned earlier?

Root folder > DCS7_SDK.pdf
When I hear readme I think of a .txt file or an extensionless file.

I'll probably switch back to spasm(since it's open source) once I am done reading Kerm's book, and until then I can use cmd.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours