Hey Guys, I have a suggestion/complaint about the SAX chat and the website in general. This is a rather small issue, but still manages to bother the @$#% out of me.

In essence, every time you go to a different part of the website, (For instance, you use the search bar, you download something, you make a post, you click on a post made by someone else, or really any activity that takes you to a different link, the screen and page will refresh. But why is this an issue? Every time the page refreshes, so does the SAX chat. This becomes especially frustrating, as it does not go to the latest messages, but rather showing the messages that were on the screen when you first logged in.

It also tends to stay on the screen where it shows the messages from where you first login. Now, if this just happened once, it would be ok, and I probably would not have made such a lengthy post about something that only happens once. Judging from the last sentence, you probably have guessed, this happens every single time you download something from the archives, or make a post, or quite frankly do anything on this website. It becomes very, very frustrating. I have checked numerous times and by many different methods, and this does not just happen on my computer, as I have tried on my computer, on another computer, and on my phone.

I have to wait an extra 5 seconds if I want to send out a text on the SAX. After a rather short period of time, this seemingly tiny issue becomes more and more bothersome. I don't know if I am the only one bothered by this, but I would much appreciate it if this problem is fixed. I also know that this issue does not come from my WiFi connection, as my internet speed is 144 MB per second, assuming that the software I installed on my mobile phone is not lying to me, but it is generally reliable, so I am going to assume that it is in fact 144 MB per second. Since the above possible reasons have been ruled out due to the fact that I have disproven them, the only other logical conclusion is that there is a bug in the website code. Once again, this could just be my OCD on going ballistics, but I genuinely believe that it would be much better off of this small bug is fixed.

I also have another, but this time less important suggestion, which is to allow devices with a small screen size i.e. mobile phones to use the SAX chat without having to use the pop out option all the time. It becomes annoying to have to click pop out view every time I want to just check if there is any new posts or new messages and things of that nature. I am not overly bothered by what I have just completed describing, but i would still love if any of the website designers here at Cemetech could just rid the website of that ‘SAX Chat Widget Disabled due to Small Screen Size’ message whenever you use Cemetech on a small device.

Also, if any of you guys thinks that this issue is due to something other than a website bug, please feel free to give me any suggestions as to how this rather annoying issue can be fixed, and all input will be very much appreciated.

I hope I posted this in the correct thread, which I think that I did, as this is a suggestion pertaining to the website. However, if I am wrong, alert me of that, and I will post this in the correct forum location.

I am sorry for making you read through all that, but in the short time that I have been a Cemetech user, this seemingly tiny and harmless bug has become very, very annoying each and every time I log in.
As things are right now, it needs to reconnect to chat for every page load. We might be able to work around that with a SharedWorker, but I don't think that API existed when the current iteration of SAX was created.

Delay in getting connected is going to be largely unaffected by your connection speed- that'll be almost entirely latency to our server, since connecting requires a few network round-trips and that's very difficult to reduce without a lot of work.

Quote:
It also tends to stay on the screen where it shows the messages from where you first login.
Probably a small bug here- it tries to store messages locally so they can be displayed immediately on page load before reconnecting to the server and getting chat history. That's probably not totally right in all situations.
Quote:
Quote:
It also tends to stay on the screen where it shows the messages from where you first login.

Probably a small bug here- it tries to store messages locally so they can be displayed immediately on page load before reconnecting to the server and getting chat history. That's probably not totally right in all situations.

Do you think this "small bug", as you call it, can and will be easily fixable? It somehow finds a way to bother me every single time I try to use the SAX Chat Widget. I have also noticed that this also happens in the SAX Chat Popup View, though I do seldom use it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours