Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.

Would you like to see the original DOOM on the CE?
Yes
 93%  [ 60 ]
No
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 64

Sooo...

On SAX today, me, doubledogdare610, and Merth were talking about porting the original DOOM to the CE. It's written completely in C, so that is a huge stumbling block out of the way.

To do list:
    1. Get the source code.
    2. Edit the source code so the controls are compatible with the calc (seeing as computer controls != calc controls).
    3. Test, edit, test, and repeat as necessary.


That's all for now. if anyone has tips, tricks, or ideas, please, feel free to post them.


Team Members so far:
    Caleb_J
    seanlego23
    doubledogdare610
    calcnerd_CEP_D


If you want to join, PM me.
Meh, we're going to have to work with the compiler included with the toolkit until there is a better compiler.
jacobly has apparently been working on adding ez80 to the LLVM Compiler Infrastructure. Let's see what happens Razz
A really big hurdle is probably going to file size. Maybe distributing the port in episode form would help, with one central core program and the episodes in several appvars? Also performance is going to make or break this. Could 15~20 fps be feasable?
Zaalane wrote:
A really big hurdle is probably going to file size. Maybe distributing the port in episode form would help, with one central core program and the episodes in several appvars? Also performance is going to make or break this. Could 15~20 fps be feasable?


Episode form: Possible.
FPS: Yes, 15 FPS is reasonable. I think it could be done. Not sure though.

Performance: From what I've heard about C, the CE can run it fine. So we should achieve about 15-20 fps. Should. Doesn't mean we will.
This is a huge project! How are you going to make the graphics compatible? Are you going to make your own library or use Mateo's?
calcnerd_CEP_D wrote:
This is a huge project! How are you going to make the graphics compatible? Are you going to make your own library or use Mateo's?


Maybe we'll use Mateo's. Not sure yet until we look at the source.
I'm going to propose a more detailed road map.

1. Clone into a new git repository.(Not done)
2. Remove sound code.(Not done)
3. Modify the shareware .wad to be smaller. (Already Under Way!)
4. Work on how the engine accesses files from the TI-OS and add a .wad selector to the program.(Not done)
5. Work on the graphics & controls.(Not done)
6. Adjust the code to clean up at the end for the TI-OS.(Not done)
7. Test & repeat.(Not there yet Razz)

Anyway I have been working on the .wad. I have removed sound and I am working on making the less important images smaller. The wad stripped down is about 947kb. We don't need to load the entire .wad into ram though, just load parts when needed. Anyway, we can do this!
You might want to poke critor about this. He ported DOOM to the Nspire awhile ago, so he might be able to lend some helpful insight.
The C SDK is a really great SDK, and the libraries that go with it are also great.
Pretty much every C program uses the Libraries that Mateo made, as well. They may not be well documented yet, but plenty people are ready t help Wink

The libraries consist of: Keypadc, fileoic, graphx, and a very nice debug library that works well with CEmu.

Good luck with this!
Ivoah wrote:
You might want to poke critor about this. He ported DOOM to the Nspire awhile ago, so he might be able to lend some helpful insight.


Thanks for the great suggestion!

Unicorn wrote:
The C SDK is a really great SDK, and the libraries that go with it are also great.
Pretty much every C program uses the Libraries that Mateo made, as well. They may not be well documented yet, but plenty people are ready t help Wink

The libraries consist of: Keypadc, fileoic, graphx, and a very nice debug library that works well with CEmu.

Good luck with this!


We already talked about it Lol Razz
Ivoah wrote:
You might want to poke critor about this. He ported DOOM to the Nspire awhile ago, so he might be able to lend some helpful insight.


Thanks! I'll see what I can do to get some help from him.

doubledogdare, I might be able to do the cloning to a new git repository. I'll work on that.
caleb1997 wrote:

doubledogdare, I might be able to do the cloning to a new git repository. I'll work on that.

Aight!
The website is here. This is what we'll be using, if anyone wants to take a look.
Mmkay has everyone got the SDK installed and CEmu?
Yes. I have it downloaded. Mateo's supposed to be fixing the graphx library when he gets around to it, so that may update in the middle of working on this project.
oldmud0 has suggested that we change the name of the repo to "zDoom"

And we have an issue on the github. It shows it as mostly C++.. That is a problem Razz
Also, go ahead and add me as a contributor. My github is: https://github.com/doubledogdare610
Well, C++ is not a huge problem, it can be transformed into C for the most part. Also, just for clarity's sake, we are using Mateo's C libraries correct?
Are we creating whole new source code files, or just editing the old ones and keeping them there?
Hhmm... porting the official Doom codebase might be difficult, but a 'rewrite' of the engine (or even just a raycasting engine) should be quite possible at a playable framerate.

It would be very interesting to see what you guys can come up with!
seanlego23 wrote:
Well, C++ is not a huge problem, it can be transformed into C for the most part. Also, just for clarity's sake, we are using Mateo's C libraries correct?
Are we creating whole new source code files, or just editing the old ones and keeping them there?

Well, if you look at it, it is already C code.. GitHub just shows it as C++ for some odd reason..
tr1p1ea wrote:
Hhmm... porting the official Doom codebase might be difficult, but a 'rewrite' of the engine (or even just a raycasting engine) should be quite possible at a playable framerate.

It would be very interesting to see what you guys can come up with!

Thanks! Very Happy
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement