Hello, and welcome! I have started working on a plane simulator, written in TI-BASIC, for the TI-84 Plus CE and CSE. Not much progress has been made, but I wanted to document my journey in making this here before continuing. Though, I already have a basic (ba-dum tss) idea of how it is going to work. Here is what I have planned for this:

Semi-3D graphics (True 3D can only be so fast in BASIC)
    Custom maps

Here is a screenshot of the main menu:

Give me a few days until I can post actual game play footage Very Happy
That sounds like an interesting project! My efforts to build a "flight simulator" 21 years ago are rudimentary at best, so I look forward to seeing what your concept for 3D-ish graphics.
KermMartian wrote:
That sounds like an interesting project! My efforts to build a "flight simulator" 21 years ago are rudimentary at best, so I look forward to seeing what your concept for 3D-ish graphics.

Thanks, I will (try to) not disappoint!

Question: When updating the graph screen frequently, is there a good way to reduce flicker while erasing the previous frame's contents? I tried this:

Code:

Lbl I // Init
BackgroundOn WHITE
StorePic 1

Lbl L // Gameplay loop
getKey->K
// (Input logic)

RecallPic 1
// (drawing code)
StorePic 1
Goto L

But apparently that was a bad idea (the calc just started defragmentation on like, the tenth frame)

Any help is appreciated! Smile
On color models it's generally recommended to minimize the use of StorePic commands as much as possible because of the high amount of writing to flash memory it does and, of course, the resulting defragmentation process that ends up happening too often (kinda like in two of my monochrome screen RPGs). If you want to erase what's moving on the screen without much flickering then it's generally better to erase or overwrite the moving parts rather than everything.
I just want to quickly say that I can only update this thread on weekends (I'm still in the intermediate cycle of school)
It's cool to see people still trying to make things work on the CSE! I'm excited to see what progress you make on this~
I should really get back into ti-basic stuff :p
Still in the testing stages Razz

DaniNyaaa (formerly Pieman7373) wrote:
It's cool to see people still trying to make things work on the CSE! I'm excited to see what progress you make on this~
I should really get back into ti-basic stuff :p

Well, I decided that since CE BASIC and CSE BASIC are basically the same except a few changes, I was like, why not Laughing
I actually started making a fighter piolet game that also is kinda in 3d, I want to know how you redrew the flight when a button is pressed because that is my greatest flaw
Finally, after one month, I have updated this to v0.2. It should be in the archives, after it gets accepted of course. Very Happy

linkjt9 wrote:
I actually started making a fighter piolet game that also is kinda in 3d, I want to know how you redrew the flight when a button is pressed because that is my greatest flaw

Well, I just went with Omnimaga's suggestion and only erased and redrew moving parts of the screen, if you meant by reducing flickering.
How would you do that because Right now I draw over everything and its really flickery Becuase they would be very very helpful Graphing Calculator
Did you forget to setup the window dimensions? Because after choosing "Fly" all I see is a white screen.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Did you forget to setup the window dimensions? Because after choosing "Fly" all I see is a white screen.

I am indeed setting the window dimensions using ZStandard then ZInteger under Lbl L1 (the initialization section). Though, can you please detail more on what happens on your calculator?
EDIT: I think something like this happened on my calc when I pressed Enter immediately after selecting the option. Though, I'm not completely sure.
Development may slow down (even though it's already rather slow) or halt, until the end of the month, due to some important school exams and Ramadan.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours