KnightsWhoSayNi wrote:
I think this'll work very well! The Trello board will be very handy. I love the customization system that you proposed, as it seems like a perfect idea. Very Happy Can't wait to see the screenshots!
Also, do you have a plan for the settings menu?
Keep up the amazing work!
-Knights

Thank you. Smile

Sadly Sad I have not a solid plan for the settings menu yet. I was wondering if it should be a pop-out menu or a whole new window filled with settings for the shell.

Development Log:

Adding Background is a very feasible idea.
Before making more customizable features I need to be focused on core features like running programs once that is completed I can move to shell features.

(DON'T MIND MOVIE ICON LOGO'S).
When a user uploads a background the upper and lower tab will change color based on what color is on a certain part of the screen.

Which one is your favorite?

Also, I am allowing users to pin program by hovering over the icon and clicking the pin icon.
if the users clicked the icon but not the pin sprite then it will run prgm. Smile

If you want to see the progress check out the Trello here. (working on the board, editing later)

as for the development update ... it needs its own post. Smile
it looks amazing. keep the good work up. Good Idea
That's AWESOME. I love the way the color changes based on the color of the screen.

EDIT: The Back to the Future background is sick Cool
Wow this looks great! Maybe, since the help menu is it's separate "window", than you should use the same window thing for the settings menu. I'm not really sure, but I really like how the backgrounds look! The only thing though, is that on some backgrounds the colors are the same as the text showing the program names. Maybe you could have a setting that allows you to toggle a 1 pixel glow around the text, making it readable? Anyway, looks amazing and keep up the great work!
-Knights
Looking good, I am VERY excited for the release. The icons show up very nicely in front of the background, which is something that I think is important when you allow users to have custom backgrounds. Overall, great work!
This looks very interesting! I'm excited for this! If this has more features than Cesium, then I'll switch over to this from now on.
shak0579 wrote:
it looks amazing. keep the good work up. Good Idea

Thanks Smile . Also Thank you for the support "means a lot"

KMisthebomb wrote:
That's AWESOME. I love the way the color changes based on the color of the screen.

EDIT: The Back to the Future background is sick Cool

Thank you Smile . Now looking at it The Back to the Future background background does looks slick.

BioHazard wrote:
This looks very interesting! I'm excited for this! If this has more features than Cesium, then I'll switch over to this from now on.

I'm very excited for this too. Smile
It's better than Cesium, But Don't expect much on the first release "Beta".

KnightsWhoSayNi wrote:
Wow this looks great! Maybe, since the help menu is it's separate "window", then you should use the same window thing for the settings menu. I'm not really sure, but I really like how the backgrounds look! The only thing though, is that on some backgrounds the colors are the same as the text showing the program names. Maybe you could have a setting that allows you to toggle a 1 pixel glow around the text, making it readable? Anyway, looks amazing and keep up the great work!
-Knights

Thank you Smile. I agree I will make the settings a separate window. I can change the text background from transparent to a solid color. maybe the text should have a white background.
Alvajoy123 wrote:

Ooh! When is the Beta coming out? I am REALLY looking forward to trying this out!
TIny_Hacker wrote:
Alvajoy123 wrote:

Ooh! When is the Beta coming out? I am REALLY looking forward to trying this out!

Now that I read the whole thread... I REALLY want to try this out! This looks Awesome! When will it be released?
are you still working on this
shak0579 wrote:
Are you still working on this?

Not really right now, But I plan to start development in a few weeks (after school finals). The images above are concepts (photoshopped) and I plan to disclose some more information sooner or later.

A little snippet:
Also keep in mind that Xenon has been split into two parts (CLI, and GUI), personal I will be working on the CLI first as it will be much easier. There will be a poll in about a few weeks about CLI commands and possibly a new GUI.

Thanks to everyone that is supporting and keeping me motivated Razz

Edit:
Just to clear any confusions A CLI is Command Line interface basically a terminal (names of the shell could consist of Xenon terminal, Xenon shell, or maybe Xenon cli). I believe this would be the first cli shell. Smile
very similar to Terminal CE

Then we have the "GUI" which is the graphical interface of the shell it, which gives stunning "visual" features.
Quick update:

Xenon command interface final name is "Xenon CL" (short for command line). If you have a better name please leave a reply Very Happy .
I've also recently started working on CL, and I've been using the fonts from command block guy Terminal CE. I don't have any visual right now, but I will be posting development screenshots soon Razz.

So here commands for CL:
Code:
RUN (run programs)
EXIT (exit cli)
DEL (deletes a program)
RAND (generates a random number)
ICON (shows inputted program icons)
ARC (archives selected program)
UNARC (unachrive a program)
CLRPRGM (edit program information)
EDITPRGM (opens ti editor for program)
ABOUT (shows information about cli shell)
HELP (shows all commands in command bank)
ADDCMD (adds a command via appvar or prgm) // Favorite so far.
PRGM (set and show current set program)
LOCK (locks a set program)
PRGMINFO (shows program information)
COLOR (sets or show current input color)
CLS (clear the screen)
CD (Change Directory - move to a specific Folder)
DATE (Display or set the date)
Not much for syntax yet. But which command do you like the most or what command should I add or remove?

** if you don't have any ideas feel free to glance at Windows CMD command list or any site of course Razz **

There is not much news for Xenon (GUI) yet, I will be posting the new UI renders so keep a look-out.
This is looking awesome! keep up the good work! Very Happy
The command line idea is interesting-how are you planning on having that interact with your directory system?

I can't think of any commands off the top of my head, besides a command that would delete all of the files within a given folder, as well as the folder itself (like right-clicking on a folder and then deleting it works in VYSION).

Looking forward to seeing those GUI renders and more updates!
epsilon5 wrote:
The command line idea is interesting-how are you planning on having that interact with your directory system?

Thanks Smile, Overall oxygen is split into 3 different parts (graphical, mouse, virtual file system). The virtual file system allows third party programs to use the xenon file system (which includes Notifications, Users and passwords, Folders, etc), Xenon CL is doing just that (but only using one section of oxygen, the file system).

epsilon5 wrote:
I can't think of any commands off the top of my head, besides a command that would delete all of the files within a given folder, as well as the folder itself (like right-clicking on a folder and then deleting it works in VYSION).

Thanks for the suggestion Smile. I will update the "DEL" command, so it works with deleting folders and all of it's content.

epsilon5 wrote:
Looking forward to seeing those GUI renders and more updates!

arusher999 wrote:
This is looking awesome! keep up the good work! Very Happy

Thanks for the support, I will be showcasing the new GUI renders soon and the poll will be available on my projects thread Very Happy.
Uh... In term of commands, I think the set should be something like:

Code:

exec (run program/command)
exit (exit cli)
rm (-r)(remove thing)
cd (change dir)
pushdir (directory stack?)
popdir (^)
man (display man page)
whatis (display single line description)
etc.

I don't think you need to have a dedicated "addcmd." The best thing to do in this case would probably to just search the "bin" directory for the command.

Essentially, just *nix-like commands.
My meaningless opinions:
    1. RAND is unnecessary in a little CLI like this
    2. CLRPRGM doesn't do what it's name suggests, PRGMINFO would work best by setting a program's description and such when parameters are supplied, and otherwise just displaying them when called by itself; kinda like how DATE works (but swapped, it looks wrong)
    3. INFO is shorter than PRGMINFO and therefore easier to type at 1 AM.
    4. CLS < CLR
    5. There needs to be a LIS/LS command to work with CD
    6. A SELECT command would work for choosing programs or appvars to edit/examine/run

Something else that I want the most is the ability to use shorthand for commands so we can be lazy 1337. Look at how the DISKPART utility works, all the commands can be called by the first 3 characters, so "create partition primary size=490000" is the same as "cre par pri size=490000" which looks horrendous but is so much easier to use I screwed my boot manager recently and I had to learn how to use diskpart... I have suffered.

Anyhoo, this is neat, if you do add support for externally loading utility programs with arguments then you might even have to create a new standard or something. Soon I can perform hax on my CE and scare the crap out of my teachers even more than I do already!
Michael0x18 wrote:
Uh... In term of commands, I think the set should be something like:

Code:

exec (run program/command)
exit (exit cli)
rm (-r)(remove thing)
cd (change dir)
pushdir (directory stack?)
popdir (^)
man (display man page)
whatis (display single line description)
etc.

I don't think you need to have a dedicated "addcmd." The best thing to do in this case would probably to just search the "bin" directory for the command.

Essentially, just *nix-like commands.

Thanks for the responds Smile, Those are some great suggestions. I like all of them and they simplify the amount of commands needed. (Your suggestion have been taking into consideration. Razz)

King Dub Dub wrote:
    1. RAND is unnecessary in a little CLI like this
    2. CLRPRGM doesn't do what it's name suggests, PRGMINFO would work best by setting a program's description and such when parameters are supplied, and otherwise just displaying them when called by itself; kinda like how DATE works (but swapped, it looks wrong)
    3. INFO is shorter than PRGMINFO and therefore easier to type at 1 AM.
    4. CLS < CLR
    5. There needs to be a LIS/LS command to work with CD
    6. A SELECT command would work for choosing programs or appvars to edit/examine/run

Something else that I want the most is the ability to use shorthand for commands so we can be lazy 1337. Look at how the DISKPART utility works, all the commands can be called by the first 3 characters, so "create partition primary size=490000" is the same as "cre par pri size=490000" which looks horrendous but is so much easier to use I screwed my boot manager recently and I had to learn how to use diskpart... I have suffered.

Thanks Smile, 1-6 where very userful. The shorten command input ("create partition primary size=490000" is the same as "cre par pri size=490000") seem like a very great idea. (I've taking your suggestion into consideration Razz)
Xenon CL: Quick Update:

Currently changing command syntax and added some of the suggestions:

Code:
"EXEC" - Execute Program
"EXEC -C" - Execute Command
"EXIT" - Exits Xenon CL
"RM" - Removes a file or folder.
"MAN" - Shows a manual for a command.
"PUSHDIR" - Move into a directory
"POPDIR" - Return to pervious directory in stack
"WHATIS" - Gives a description a program and displays icon.
"LS" - List files in current directory
"CP" - Copy file to directory
"MV" - Move a file to a different directory
"MKDIR" - Make a folder or directory
"CD" - Change/move to different directory
"PWD" - Tell you current directory location
"EDIT" - Edit a file in directory location
"COLOR -F" - Sets Foreground Color
"COLOR -B" - Sets Background Color
"!!" - Repeat previous command (just use the up key)
"DATE" - Display date.

and with commands come keys shortcuts:

Code:
[UP] = Use previous command in stack
[DOWN] = Go to next command in stack (if there is any)
[MODE] + [RIGHT] = Move to the end of input text.
[MODE] + [LEFT] = Move to the front of input text.
[MODE] + [R] = Redraw screen and clear screen
[MODE] + [C] = Copy directory
[MODE] + [P] = Paste copied directory (if there is any)

As for adding commands via appvar, I think would have to make a new programming language to allow users to run commands in the shell, maybe something like ICE Compiler. Then the user will use:
Quote:
EXECUTE -C APPVARNAME

-C stands for commands. The command is then added to Xenon's Command stack/database then maybe it will install a command/basic program or encrypt the program in the appvar and decrypt a the start of Xenon CL.

I guess Adding command will be put on hold.

How do you think commands should be made and added? Also What do you think about the key shortcuts and new commands?

Xenon "GUI": Quick Update
I won't be releasing Xenon's new GUI renders, until Xenon "GUI" v1.0 has been released. But, I may use the new renders for Xenon "GUI" v2.0. ~ "The renders have been completed" Razz
I don't think you need to have a compiled language. Just something basic (simple) would do where you parse commands, i.e. split by space.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 6 of 10
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours