Here is probably the coolest thing I have ever seen. Too bad it costs $18,000.... although on the plus side it won't be outdated quickly. Smile

http://pcgames.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/10042/
oh wow, that is crazy.
omfg, wow. Thats freakin crazy
Yeah... The first use that came to my mind would be for a CGI company to hook a couple of em together for a CPU-less mini-rendering farm as the quatro series (i mean the regular expansion slot style ones) is generally used to help with rendering...
wtf?! Is it even worth anything near $18K? I hardly believe it'll last for a century Laughing
Um 12 mega pxl hd video? Thats gotta be worth around 5-10k. I mean seriously. This the a revolution to the gaming industry.

But the funny thing its, in about 10 years. thats going to be nothing compaired to what they'll have then.

I think that they could've had it a bit smaller. Its too big. Its oldies style.
swivelgames wrote:
Um 12 mega pxl hd video? Thats gotta be worth around 5-10k. I mean seriously. This the a revolution to the gaming industry.

But the funny thing its, in about 10 years. thats going to be nothing compaired to what they'll have then.

I think that they could've had it a bit smaller. Its too big. Its oldies style.

Read, it is not made for gaming, it is more for corporations (it also says without a bunch of cpus you would have a big bottleneck).
Yowza!!! I say we start a fund to buy somebody one of these.
Get that and get you one of those wall-screen monitors (the ones that cover almost an entire wall of a room), and a theater system with very large subs, and run your HD cable box through your PC and you'll have it made. Cool
And who might that be? Who would help buy something $18k for someone else. It depends on who you buy it for.
You guys DO realize its not 1 card but rather many GPUs combined? Like super-duper SLI. Hence the big box and crazy specs. Its not some futuristic mega GPU, just a crapload of current gen GPUs all slammed together Smile (which works surprisingly well, as GPUs are parallel processing beasts by design, so its not like a renderer has to be programmed to support multiple GPU's like regular programs have to do for a multi-CPU arrangement) So swivel, no, they couldn't have made it a bit smaller. Well, short of time traveling to the future and bringing back their tech anyway.
Mmm, who wants to buy that for me in exchange for the ~2000 hours I will have spent on DCS? Then I can actually get paid $9 per hour. Very Happy
some more info http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/01/nvidia_quadro_plex_1000/
If they had had it out Friday-Sunday (previous) then you would not have had to pay taxes on it (tax-free weekend). Smile
pyro_xp2k wrote:
If they had had it out Friday-Sunday (previous) then you would not have had to pay taxes on it (tax-free weekend). Smile
No sales tax, but there's still income tax on the $18,000. Razz
Don't you live in South Carolina?
No, Saluda NC... the thing with Jpez is because i'm very close to the NC/SC border, if he'd been in the upstate he coulda come to visit Razz
Yeah, like how much bandwidth will that sucker need to stay busy.... Jeez, wonder how you hook it up to your comp in the first place... Only thing I could think of was eSATA (external SATA), which is ~6 times faster than USB 2.0 (300MB/s), but its designed for hdd's.
It said something along the lines of 20 of the latest processors to feed it data fast enough o.O
No, that was for games. It doesn't take any CPU speed to send data over a bus like SATA or PCI-E (well, minimal amounts anyway, as both have [almost] no overhead whatsoever)

But that doesn't help answer my question any Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours