I've been trying to figure out the name of this scale for weeks. I know I played it at some point in a feature solo way back in early high school jazz band, but it's been bothering me that I don't know what it's called. It's very close to the Locrian mode, but it's not exactly right. Here's the scale:

As you can see it goes Half-step, Whole, Whole, Half, Whole, Half, Whole, Half-step.

Anyway, I really would like help figuring out what this is even though I'm posting it on a calculator forum Razz I know there are some musically minded people here so I wanna see if we can figure this out. Thank you!
F#/Gb ichikosucho

(I'm not an expert.) Start in the fifth note of this scale and see where that takes you.
That is very very close. It's still not exactly the same if you follow the interval structure though. I've never heard of that kind of scale before though, and it does indeed have 9 notes.
I looked at a bunch of foreign musical scales (another 20 minutes of my life wasted, lol), and I don't seem to see it. Also how long ago was it? And I assume you wrote this on a music program. Spill the beans, what music program did you use? Smile
I played this actually now that I think about it in 10th or 11th grade which would have been in 2015 or 2016. It was in a song called Oblivion. The measure in question can be heard here and here. Listen especially to the chords going on in the background. When I played this scale I started on a concert D. It went D, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb, B, Db, D.

As for typing that music, I used Musescore 2.0
So I asked my music-guru friend about this, he said his best guess is that it's a "tonic diminished with a flat 2 in the key of C".
Hopefully that means something to you, I never got into the vocabulary of scales. Razz
I asked another one of my music friends and yeah, he said diminished with a flat 2nd as well. I'm willing to accept that but what bothers me is that the clinician to told me about this had a name for it. Furthermore, online if found something that said "There is no naming convention for diminished with a flat 2nd."

... yeah, so at least I have something I guess Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours