Hello, I have a TI-84 plus calculator and I want do get Pokémon Red or blue on it. But everytime I try it I get an error saying that I don't have enough memory. Can somebody please help me?
Thank you very much,
Félix
That means you probably don't have enough RAM. Try this video, it'll help fix most issues you can encounter:

There's an index in the description so you can quickly find the error you're getting.
RAM? Do you mean archive memory? Also, if you use Ti-Boy, this is what calc84maniac says, "This is a quirk of TI's Archive storage system. Archive memory is split into 64KB sectors, and any given variable must be contained completely within that sector.
Meanwhile, converted ROM files are split into 16KB contiguous chunks for performance reasons (several of these chunks may be contained in a single AppVar).
If there is no empty space at the end of these ROM chunks that can be trimmed out, only three of them can fit into an AppVar, taking slightly over 48KB of space. Whichever Archive sector holds this variable can only store files less than 16KB large in the remaining space, which means no more ROM data.
In this worst case scenario (when no trimming is possible), this would mean you can only use 3/4 of your Archive space to store ROMs."
Hello DanielSquad,
Thank you for replying! I'm quite new to all of this stuff so I don't understaind everything you say about the storage... Do you mean it's just not possible? Because in the readme file calc84maniac says that pokemon should be possible.
Felix
Of course, it's possible. And, just to be clear, TI-Boy CE is for the TI-84+CE, not the 84, as you have said your calculator is at the beginning.
That aside, just clear your archive a bit, delete things you don't need, and keep retrying. I can fit all three Gen I games and one Gen II game on calc at once, so I don't see how you could be having a problem. Wink
felix.boddez wrote:
Hello DanielSquad,
Thank you for replying! I'm quite new to all of this stuff so I don't understaind everything you say about the storage... Do you mean it's just not possible? Because in the readme file calc84maniac says that pokemon should be possible.
Felix

Pokemon is possible. It all depends on how much archive is in your calculator. Pokemon takes up quite a bit of space in the calculator. Try to delete large apps such as unnecessary languages or old games to make space for Pokemon. That's the only solution. Wink
jcgter777 wrote:
And, just to be clear, TI-Boy CE is for the TI-84+CE, not the 84, as you have said your calculator is at the beginning.

Although the above is true, if you wish to play pokemon (or any other gameboy game) on a 84, you can use this version of TIBOY instead of the CE version.
Ty all for replying to my post, but I have one more question do I have to delete all the apps that are on the calculator from the beginning? (I have nothing else installed on it) or is there enough space with the apps on it, and is it hard to put them back on the calculator if it doesn’t work?
You will want to press [2nd] + [+]. This brings up the memory management menu. Then press [2], [ALPHA] [A]. Now scroll to the unwanted app and press [Del].
Hmmm, I know how to delete programs, but is it needed? I have 23k ram and 91k archive memory free... is that enough for a pokemon game? Also, I have downloaded a ROM fir Pokémon red but it’s 1.3 MB, I think it’s to much. Can someone send a link to a ROM that works on the TI-84 plus? Thank you!
Nope! its about 450k iirc. I'd delete all apps you don't need if you are REALLY tight on space.
Hey if you update your calculator to at least OS 5.3.0, or install Cesium, you can store everything in the Archive memory of your calculator. That'll let you have at least 140Kb of RAM.
Pokemon takes up roughly 570 Kb to 655Kb of Archive space (depending if you've played the game and have save files) I don't know how you have such little Archive space left, even I have 1069K of Archive left and I have a bunch of large picture AppVars on my calculator. Razz

Like xMarming_ said, to free up some Archive space, delete some of the apps you don't, and probably will never use. This could include: EasyData, CelSheet, CabriJr, and Hub. Really the only ones I'd consider keeping is SciTools, PlySmlt2, and Cesium. You can also delete any pre-installed PicVars and ImageVars. Those are the easiest to delete and regain lots of space. After that, you'll just have to filter through the memory management menu and delete what you don't need.
I strongly suggest to update to 5.3.0 and NOT any higher for obvious reasons
Just to be clear: I have a TI-84 plus, not the color edition. Can someone who has pokemon plz send a link to the right ROM, that would be super handy!
And is it hard to put deleted apps that are on the calculator when you buy it back on it?
Do you get the error when transfering the ROM? Pokemon ROMs are large; some games, such as Tetris, do not take up as much space. And legally, ROMs cannot be shared. Pokemon Red should be about 1 MB and that number should be constant.
felix.boddez wrote:
Just to be clear: I have a TI-84 plus, not the color edition. Can someone who has pokemon plz send a link to the right ROM, that would be super handy!
And is it hard to put deleted apps that are on the calculator when you buy it back on it?

We do not allow sharing of ROMs. Legal stuff like this should not be shared. Also, if you use the Ti-Boy SE, know that you cannot save your game.
Nope, I don’t have a SE, just the TI-84 plus. My ROM is 1,72 MB, is that to big for my calculator. And is it hard to put the standard apps back on the calculator if I deleted them?
felix.boddez wrote:
Nope, I don’t have a SE, just the TI-84 plus. My ROM is 1,72 MB, is that to big for my calculator. And is it hard to put the standard apps back on the calculator if I deleted them?

To be clear, the Ti-Boy SE is for the 84 plus. Also, how is the ROM 1.72 MB? Pokemon Gold is only 0.7 MB. So how is Pokemon Red that much? It's best not to use that file. Also, putting the standard apps back on the calculator is a simple task. Just redownload them from the Ti website and use Ti-Connect to send them to your calculator.
DanielSquad wrote:
felix.boddez wrote:

To be clear, the Ti-Boy SE is for the 84 plus. Also, how is the ROM 1.72 MB? Pokemon Gold is only 0.7 MB. So how is Pokemon Red that much? It's best not to use that file. Also, putting the standard apps back on the calculator is a simple task. Just redownload them from the Ti website and use Ti-Connect to send them to your calculator.

The Ti-boy SE is for the 84 plus? so you mean for the silver edition and the non-silver edition? But I don't really know what for ROM I need to take... I took one for the normal GameBoy and I just putted it inside the gamboy emulator... The file that I got out of that Is 1.73 MB on my computer, I expect it's the same on the calculator. Do I need to put the emulator on the calculator as well or just the pokemon file? and do I need something as 'Mirageos' or isn't it nessecery? and final question: do I need to send the pokemon file to the RAM or archive memory?
Hehe ROM downloading? Ooooh

There's a converter to make the GB rom into appvars readable by the calc. It's smaller. The music's gone, which is one reason.
Pokemon Red's rom is quite tiny. Only a few hundred KB. I don't know how you got the 1.72 MB from.
It's not hard to download apps, just do as DanielSquad said.
You need the emulator to run the rom files, and it doesn't matter whether it's in Archive or RAM, just that there's no space for more than maybe 2 rom appvars.
If you're talking about TI-Boy CE, I know for a fact that there's a readme that tells you everything you need. If it's for the SE, there probably is one as well. Please consult that before asking any more questions.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours