Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
That's right, folks! Another installment of Boxman coming your way!

I've programmed Boxman on Scratch twice, Python, Javascript, C++, Commodore Basic, TI-Basic 4 times, C for the CE, Blender, and Unity. So I thought to myself, "What if I made Boxman with no programming at all?"

So that's what's happening! I have designed 2 circuits in Eagle, a logic board and a video board, made entirely out of 74-series logic, 555 timers, and 3 parallel EEPROM chips. I'm to the point where I'm pretty sure it's done being designed (after over a month), but I want a second set of eyes looking at it to make sure nothing I've done is super dumb. The boards once they are made are going to be about 8" x 9" big, and the two will be stacked on top of each other with standoffs and connected with a 60-pin ribbon cable (much like old arcade machine boards. I took some inspiration from the Super Pacman board I found when making the arcade cabinet version of Boxman.) So, here are the links! I'm excited how far this project has come, and I'm excited to hopefully finish it when I get enough money to buy all the parts. (I plan on buying the components first, bread-boarding the major sub-circuits as laid out in the schematic before I buy the boards 'cause I think ahead Razz )

Logic Board:

Video Board:
Quote:
I plan on buying the components first, breadboarding the major sub-circuits as layed out in the schematic before I buy the boards 'cause I think ahead
I was reading through the beginning of your post, and that was the immediate question I was about to start typing. I'm glad you'll be breadboarding it first. Don't forget small capacitors across your power lines with all that TTL logic. Wink I can't wait to see how this goes! If it's successful, I feel like you should ship it to me for Maker Faire next year, so we can show calculator Boxman alongside hardware Boxman.
KermMartian wrote:
[...]If it's successful, I feel like you should ship it to me for Maker Faire next year, so we can show calculator Boxman alongside hardware Boxman.

That would be awesome! But that's pretty soon, isn't it? I'm concerned with how quickly this could get done in relation to the fast approaching maker faire. I'm not sure I can get it done in the next couple weeks. It will definitely be done before 2019 maker faire, however, and I'd be happy to send it to you for that!

EDIT:: haha, upon reading your post more carefully, I realize that what I recommended is exactly what you said. Also, you'll be happy to find that there are indeed 2 10uF caps across the input to the voltage regulator and ground, and the output from the voltage regulator to ground. Very Happy I'm learninnggg!!
I think I'm going to order the parts either tomorrow or thursday. I hope the lack of replies means that my logic is sound but something tells me that nobody had time to actually look at it Razz which is ok, I've been staring at this schematic for over a month and at this point at least in my mind it will work fine. So I have the digikey carts put together, and I'll keep this updated with progress on breadboarding the major subsystems. Again, I would reaaally appreciate it if anyone could quickly scan my schematic if they have time to make sure there are no stupid mistakes in connecting the chips and things. Thank you!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours