Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
Hello, all. I am currently working on a new game called Text Dungeon, a first-person adventure RPG about going through a seemingly endless dungeon, and it is going pretty smoothly.

I have some plans, although unimplemented, like enemies, bosses, chests with random loot, and more.
I thought I'd post about this to get feedback/opinions/suggestions on the idea. Let me know what you think, and thanks for reading!
Hi,
It's a very good idea, on wich calc do you plan to write it ?
Can you give us some more information about it? Is is a text RPG or an RPG with text graphics? Home screen or graph screen? Will it actually be an endless dungeon or will there be an ending? Will there be floors where you can travel back to different rooms or will it be a game where you can only progress forward? How will you store the room data? How will you handle enemies and player weapons?
Dear Friend wrote:
Hi, It's a very good idea, on wich calc do you plan to write it ?

I plan on it being on the TI-84 Plus CE.


dankcalculatorbro wrote:
Can you give us some more information about it? Is is a text RPG or an RPG with text graphics? Home screen or graph screen? Will it actually be an endless dungeon or will there be an ending? Will there be floors where you can travel back to different rooms or will it be a game where you can only progress forward? How will you store the room data? How will you handle enemies and player weapons?

Sure thing! It is an RPG with text graphics on the home screen. It will probably have an ending, although it will take MANY rooms to get to it, alluring to "seemingly" endless. You can only progress forward and room generation is mostly random, with a bit of predictability. The room data will be based on a variable that goes up with every room you go through. I plan on the enemies being a separate encounter from the game, opening an RPG-style fight (hopefully). Weapons and equipment will increase basic stats like health and attack. I hope this gave you some insight!
[PixelPerfect] wrote:
You can only progress forward and room generation is mostly random, with a bit of predictability. The room data will be based on a variable that goes up with every room you go through.

I was developing a Ti-BASIC RPG that had rogue like elements, that used an X/Y grid for room generation. The game used the X/Y coordinate as a seed for a pseudorandom algorithm to generate a ten digit number, and used that for determining the room's characteristics (Such as taking the last digit to determine the room type, and the fourth digit for determining the enemies). Using an algorithm based off of the X/Y of a room made it so that each room would stay the same.
For randomization, it used a combination of squaring, subtracting, and culling unneeded digits.
A similar process can be done in assembly, and is rather easier due to having bit testing at your disposal.
Making an interesting and worthwhile RPG is incredibly hard, as it is difficult to make combat more that "spam your best moves until the opponent is dead". I attempted to use a focus on status conditions and reactive and interactive combat to avoid this, but I'm curious what you'll come up with.
EscherLochran wrote:
[PixelPerfect] wrote:
You can only progress forward and room generation is mostly random, with a bit of predictability. The room data will be based on a variable that goes up with every room you go through.

I was developing a Ti-BASIC RPG that had rogue like elements, that used an X/Y grid for room generation. The game used the X/Y coordinate as a seed for a pseudorandom algorithm to generate a ten digit number, and used that for determining the room's characteristics (Such as taking the last digit to determine the room type, and the fourth digit for determining the enemies). Using an algorithm based off of the X/Y of a room made it so that each room would stay the same.
For randomization, it used a combination of squaring, subtracting, and culling unneeded digits.
A similar process can be done in assembly, and is rather easier due to having bit testing at your disposal.
Making an interesting and worthwhile RPG is incredibly hard, as it is difficult to make combat more that "spam your best moves until the opponent is dead". I attempted to use a focus on status conditions and reactive and interactive combat to avoid this, but I'm curious what you'll come up with.

Thank you! I'm trying my best to make this game interesting, and I do want to do something a little unique with the combat system, but I don't want that to make what this game is about, since it's mainly about going through the dungeon itself. That being said, I still do want to experiment with things I can do.
Hello all! I come bringing an update!

I finished most of the coding with the menus, so next I'm going to start working on how loot works, and after that, enemies. So, I thought that what better way to show off something you're working on than with pictures, right? So, here's a little taste of the game so far!






(Keep in mind that images from the game are not final, and things may change between updates.)

This is all for now, but keep a lookout for updates in the future!
This is fantastic! The graphics look awesome!

For the D in your first screenshot, try this:

|--\
|  |
|__/
WOW! That looks really awesome!

Do you have any animated screenshots by any chance?
This is ascii art !
I really like.
There are free software to transform a picture in ascii art.
If you want to show a picture it could help you.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
This is fantastic! The graphics look awesome!

For the D in your first screenshot, try this:

|--\
|  |
|__/

Thanks for that suggestion! I'll be sure to try that.


tr1p1ea wrote:
WOW! That looks really awesome!

Do you have any animated screenshots by any chance?

I don't, but there isn't really much "animation" other than rooms being cleared then new ones being output. There will be more screenshots, though!


Dear Friend wrote:
This is ascii art !
I really like.
There are free software to transform a picture in ascii art.
If you want to show a picture it could help you.

I'm probably not going to convert real images, I like doing it by hand. Or, by keyboard. Cool
Whew, it's been a while since the last post, huh? Sorry about that, school work is taking up a bit of my time, so updates won't be too frequent. That being said, however, I come with another progress update!


To start this off, thanks tr1p1ea for the idea of changing the "D" on the title! It looks much better, now.


Next, I've basically gotten the whole item system down. You'll be able to check your equipment to see what you have, as well as basic descriptions for your gear.


Finally, I'd like to show off and explain the chest system. Most items you acquire will be found in a chest, which requires a key to open. So far, keys can only be found randomly, but there may be more ways to get them in the future. As for the items you find, the better they are, the rarer they are, so it may take a lot of keys before you get the real good stuff.



That's all for this update! I'm glad I finally got this one out. As for the future of the game, I hope to next add shops, then the fighting system. After that, I should hopefully be on the play testing phase of development. Until then, keep a look out for the next update!
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement