Ti says Python is coming to the 83 next year. Will the 84 CE get it as well?

Thanks.
I'm not aware that there's been any such announcement yet...
However, note that an unspecified part of the Python capabilities resides on the piece of external hardware that TI mentioned for Python support (otherwise they wouldn't be using such a weird technical solution in the first place), so technically, the 84+CE could contain the code for communicating with the external device.

This external hardware approach looks like a desperate emergency stopgap measure. Not only it's very inconvenient, but also, it means that Python for the 83PCE will be unavailable on standardized tests, since most of those forbid external hardware. Despite being notified multiple times over the past few years (even slightly before the 84+CE/83PCE came out, though at that stage, it was months after the weak hardware with a terrible C compiler was set in stone) that interest for Python was growing, TI has managed to become the last of the the three major graphing calculator manufacturers to add official support for some form of Python to, so far, a single calculator model... How very disappointing.
No word on official Python support for the Nspire CX series. Unofficial support has been available for years, thanks to the Ndless framework, but TI keeps spending energy fighting it.
Bummer, did not know about needing a hardware add on to make it work.

What about numworks? Do you think that is legit? Thanks..
Yes, Numworks has 'legit' Python on it. I don't remember if it's a limited version of it though.

Lionel, I'm confused why you say Python is banned on standardized tests just because it's in external hardware. Some administrators make you put your calculator in Test Mode which restricts BASIC, so why wouldn't Python be restricted too, even if it weren't external hardware?
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Lionel, I'm confused why you say Python is banned on standardized tests just because it's in external hardware. Some administrators make you put your calculator in Test Mode which restricts BASIC, so why wouldn't Python be restricted too, even if it weren't external hardware?

You can make programs during France PTT.
Officially:
* the Numworks calculator uses MicroPython, the first official implementation of Python on a graphing calculator, made in several weeks time, and certainly not full-time;
* on the Graph 90+E / fx-CG50, Casio's using MicroPython as well;
* the HP Prime uses modified snapshots of giac, in which Bernard Parisse recently implemented quite good compatibility with the Python syntax. That's not real Python, but it doesn't make too much of a difference for the intended use case: simple algorithms for school usage.

Unofficially:
* on the Nspire, in 2014, Vogtinator used the lightweight MicroPython implementation. He didn't spend weeks on it either;
* Bernard Parisse also ported giac to the Nspire series years ago (KhiCAS), and recently to Graph 90+E / fx-CG50, so new builds of giac for these platforms provide a Python-like language;
* "zardam" ported giac to a modified NumWorks calculator featuring an extra Flash memory chip adding 8 or 16 MB of storage, so in a sense, there can be two different ways to access a Python(-like) language on the NumWorks platform.

Down the road, the first NumWorks calculator model will suffer from its limited hardware (if kept in its pristine state, that is). They bought their large batch of SoCs slightly before ST introduced new models with more RAM and most of all, more Flash memory, so out of the box, the NumWorks calculators are stuck on 256 KB of RAM and 1 MB of Flash...
On the flip side, the PCB of all calculators of the first model has the pads and wires for adding an external NOR Flash chip of 8 MB for less than 1 USD / EUR, or 16 MB for less than 3 USD / EUR; the pitch is 1.27mm (0.05"), so the chip can be soldered without high-end equipment or skills. I've never soldered pitches below 2 mm myself, but I know from other people that 1.27mm is tolerable with a non-damaged soldering iron tip.
I don't know whether, and when, NumWorks plans on releasing another model containing another STM32F4 chip featuring more RAM and Flash memory Smile
Lionel Debroux wrote:
I'm not aware that there's been any such announcement yet...
Your own website made such an announcement. Smile We certainly have wanted Python on the TI-84 Plus CE for ages, and I've wanted to spend time I don't have to experiment with making it a reality, so I'm glad to hear TI is considering it!
As discussed on IRC, an announcement about the 83PCE, but not about the 84+CE, per TI's own text so far Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours