The Quake game by the TICT can do 90 fps, but its texture mapped. had greyscale and a level maker, but it was stilll texture mapped. In fact its just a wolfenstein game named arena. Im not hating on the TICT, I'm just trying to learn a thing or two. The game Im trying to mathematically map an environment on the TI89. I have been droning on about this, but I know that it can be done. I spotted something sort of like what I'm trying to do on Benryves but the tutorial was spotty and incomplete. A little help here. There has got to be a badass wizard coder here.
When you say 'texture mapped' do you really mean raycasting? Although yes raycasters do employ a style of texture mapping, I assume that since you mentioned matrices though that you are looking for a true 3D engine?
I have to be honest. I dont know what im looking for. Im just someone who wants to learn. In the end yes I would like to learn to make a true 3D engine. Right now ill just settle for any sort of tutorial.

There is something to being able to truly map objects. In Masters of Doom, John Carmack is viewed as having seen the mountaintop once the engine for Quake was written.
OK I'm not sure that there is anything specifically for the TI-89 regarding a tutorial for an actual 3D engine - but there are games that you might be able to learn from like Space Dementia II: https://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/303/30397.html
Thanks triplea: I went and downloaded the game. I will try and see if I can break it down. Do you know of any tutorials on the fundamental principles of 3D and 3D engines for other platforms? I saw a great youtube video of a guy that made an engine in HTML CSS and JavaScript. When I get my graphlink cable from Amazon I will load the rudimentary things that i have written in TI-Basic for the 89. I wrote a program that is really a drawing environment that allows for drawing cubes and pyramids. I have yet to master all of the Newman and Sproull techniques because their implementation is beyond my understanding.
Decepticon7 wrote:
Thanks triplea: I went and downloaded the game. I will try and see if I can break it down. Do you know of any tutorials on the fundamental principles of 3D and 3D engines for other platforms? I saw a great youtube video of a guy that made an engine in HTML CSS and JavaScript.

For PC? Do you want to make an engine using an API such as OpenGL, or do you want to make your own software implemented-renderer that does the rasterisation and texture filling yourself? (OpenGL is an API that allows your program to communicate with your Graphics Card)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours