amihart wrote:
However, this requires writing to specific ports using the "in" and "out" instructions, which cannot be done on the TI-84+CE, as these instructions are blocked.

lol wut. This is wrong.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
amihart wrote:
However, this requires writing to specific ports using the "in" and "out" instructions, which cannot be done on the TI-84+CE, as these instructions are blocked.

0x5 wut. This is wrong.

Eh, could you care to elaborate?

WikiTI wrote:
Port access via IN and OUT is prohibited: IN is censored outside of the OS, and OUT will cause a reset.

- Source
It is entirely possible. You just have to know how. You are also confusing mapped io with physical "ports", that's not what they are. They are directly connected via an ahb bus to the device they communicate with. It's quite common in most asic designs these days. The reason we cannot write to the data pins on the CE is because the processor isn't even *connected* to those pins. It is tied to a separate usb controller, which will only follow the usb specification.
Is there a way for me to, on an Arduino, specify certain bit "arrangements" for characters? The reason is that I will only be transmitting five place decimals (1.2345 - 0 - 9 and a period). This will allow me to transmit coordinates at a faster rate then the typical ASCII or Unicode or whatever text transfer, for faster location update.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
It is entirely possible. You just have to know how. You are also confusing mapped io with physical "ports", that's not what they are. They are directly connected via an ahb bus to the device they communicate with. It's quite common in most asic designs these days. The reason we cannot write to the data pins on the CE is because the processor isn't even *connected* to those pins. It is tied to a separate usb controller, which will only follow the usb specification.

Oh, okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
I just don't know how to do any of this. So, I need someone who does know to point me in the right direction, or help me, or maybe even tell me if it is possible to transfer decimals from an arduino to a ti 84 calculator assembly program.
oh, yeah, I was going to post this here.
Ok, I looked at it. Now, how on earth do I use it?
I would try making a C program that does not use USB first using the CE toolchain. It works basically the same as programming the Arduino, if you have any experience with that already.

Once you are comfortable with C, add the files in the src folder of the repo to the src folder of your project, and add usbserial.h as an include file. You can then use the functions described in usbserial.h. Also check out the example for an example.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours