Are ROMS good?
Yes
 66%  [ 4 ]
No
 33%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

So, I created this topic to discuss the nature of ROMS. With the TI-Boy released, everyone is trying to get a ROM to test out the emulator. But is this ethical? Are we allowed to get these ROMS? Who controls the legal system of the downloads? Is this pirating? I am hoping to here some pretty interesting input because I, too, want to test out the TI-Boy, but every ROM I download contains a virus or malware.
Downloading roms for software you do not own is illegal.

Use your head when you download roms, and don't be a dimwit when it comes to figuring things out. Asking "how do i download roms" is a sure way to be ignored without question.
It's a very tricky gray area. This StackExchange response does a decent job of explaining it.

user56 on August 6th, 2010 wrote:
I'm not going to bore you with the specific DMCA regulations (you can look them up yourself if you really want to) but suffice to say they're almost always illegal. Emulators aren't because they don't violate any law, ROMs violate copyright laws. So while it doesn't make sense to use emulators without ROMs, it is legal. Just like it is legal to have an empty beer bottle if you're under 16 but not have alcohol.

There is no 24/48 hour exemption. Linking to copyrighted content, hosting it and downloading it is always illegal.

You can get in trouble for downloading ROMs of games no longer sold as well, and hosting illegal content is illegal too.

But, the DMCA Law allows you to make copies of digital media so long as you don't break the DRM.

LegalZoom wrote:
You want to make a backup copy of a DVD that you bought. The DVD is copyright protected, and the copyright holder has encrypted the DVD to prevent you from making a copy. In the U.S., under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, if you hack or crack the security measures of a copyrighted work to make your copy, you are violating the law and can be sued.

There's a lot of differing opinions on what is, and isn't allowed. An resource you may find useful is the Copyright Law and Video Games article from LegalZoom. Every three years there are exemptions placed under the DMCA, you can find the current list of exemptions here. From the date of the article it looks like these exemptions will expire at the end of this current year unless they are renewed.
DanielSquad wrote:
So, I created this topic to discuss the nature of ROMS. With the TI-Boy released, everyone is trying to get a ROM to test out the emulator. But is this ethical? Are we allowed to get these ROMS? Who controls the legal system of the downloads? Is this pirating? I am hoping to here some pretty interesting input because I, too, want to test out the TI-Boy, but every ROM I download contains a virus or malware.

Speaking of TI-Boy, when looking on the internet for Gameboy Emulators, search the website with "spyware" or "malware", etc. attached to the end, so you don't download something harmful on your computer. I say this from experience.
It's probably worth mentioning that there are ROMs available under public domain (for example at PDRoms), though the vast majority of them are homebrew. Still, a nice and perfectly legal option for running things in emulators.
Don't copy that floppy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours