I was just looking at the bots that were on Cemetech, then I wondered... why does cemetech need bots?
If you know, then great... if not, then just take your best guess. I am open to any crazy answer or the correct answer. Thanks. Cool
There are IRC/SAX bots that either listen to commands and respond, welcome new users, or relay SAX messages to IRC and vice versa. If that's the type of bot you're talking about. Google and Bing (MSN?) keep bots on sites for some reason that I don't know. Plus, bots are cool!
jcgter777 wrote:
Google and Bing (MSN?) keep bots on sites for some reason that I don't know.
They're search engine spiders. How the forum tries to keep track of them is a whole different can of beans and I've long wanted to make it stop trying because the crawler identification data is terribly outdated and the whole model the forum software uses internally for that doesn't really apply well to today's web.
I'd like to add that nobody really cares to know about how many bots are online, I would suggest removing the can of beans and just letting them be Razz This would mean remove them from the online users tab, which sounds like a good thing to me.
mr womp womp wrote:
I'd like to add that nobody really cares to know about how many bots are online, I would suggest removing the can of beans and just letting them be Razz

I'm not dismissing how easy it would be to remove that from the template, but back in the day phpBB (or at least I presume) listed bots on the forum individually. There was a time where a search engine either was really aggressive or got caught in a loop somewhere because we had 100 or more of their bots on the forum at any given time, and this really cluttered up the online users. My timeline may be wrong here but basically it was difficult to see the users through multiple bots so we condensed the bots to a name and just showed how many were here from each respective company. To finish the story, we ended up banning the IP of that aggressive search engine company. Now, I realize there are two "MSN/Bing" entires...

So, to that, I think listing the bots is more of a neat little tidbit than anything. It shows us that our niche of the internet is not invisible.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours