I bought a TI-83 plus calculator from a friend so I could sell it. I cleaned off the paint (it was painted) and prepped it for sale, but I noticed there was a paint chip stuck behind the screen. So, I pulled out the screws and pulled it apart. I was able to get the paint chip out, but after I put it back together, it wouldn’t work anymore. It was working fine before, but now, every time I press the on button, nothing happens. Well, actually, that’s not quite true. If I remove all 4 batteries, put them back in, and then press on, the screen will momentarily flash black, then turn back off and once again, nothing will happen unless I repeat that process again. Before anyone asks, Yes, I’ve tried adjusting the contrast, cleaning the battery contacts with 91% isopropyl, checking the gold internal contact points for corrosion, and pressing all the buttons to see if they do anything (they don’t). Also, I’ve tried removing a battery then slowly reinserting it while holding del (no luck).

If any one might know what could be causing the issue, that’d be great. I’ll be sure to provide any additional information you might need. Thank you!
Did you try reassembling the entire calculator again? Like take it apart then put it all back together again? Otherwise, I would not know what to do.
Dunlavdy- yes, I have tried that. I keep taking it apart to see if I accidentally messed with something, but I can’t figure out what’s the problem.
That's bad. I have no other idea what I would do. (see if you could sell it on ebay or something). Wink
Although it sounds kinda like a hardware failure, have you tried removing a battery then pressing and holding [2nd]+[del] then reinserting the battery? That will uninstall the OS which may be bugging out for some reason.
The only other reason I could think of is the ribbon cable randomly failing which you can learn more about here. Or you accidentally broke something while cleaning it.
Good luck.
Are you show there was no other damage besides the paint before you opened it?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours