Hello, I am trying to write a piece of code that uses one-bit-per-pixel mode and a routine to clear the screen. But I cannot figure out what is causing only the first few lines to be cleared.

Code:
#include "includes\ti84pce.inc"
.assume ADL=1
.org userMem-2
.db tExtTok,tAsm84CeCmp
 call _homeup
 call _RunIndicOff
 ld a,lcdBpp1 ; setup 1bpp mode
 ld (mpLcdCtrl),a

ld hl,mpLcdPalette ; setup the palette
 ld bc,$FFFF ; 1 - black, 0 - white
 ld (hl),bc
 inc hl
 inc hl
 ld bc,0
 ld (hl),bc
 call CLR
loop: ;loop until button press
 call _GetCSC
 or a
 cp a, skEnter
 jr nz,loop

ld a,lcdBpp16
 ld (mpLcdCtrl),a
 ret
CLR:
 ld bc, 320*240/8
 ld hl, vRam
CLR_loop:
 ld (hl),$0
 inc hl
 dec bc
 ld a,b
 sub a,c
 or a
 jr nz, CLR_loop
 ret

The exit condition check for CLR_loop is incorrect. As written, it will exit the loop when b-c=0, aka. b=c. 320*240/8=$2580, so this will happen after writing $80-$25=$5B=91 bytes (2 full rows plus 8 pixels on the 3rd). The common exit condition logic that I think you're looking for is ld a,b \ or a,c.

For the record, there's a much faster way to fill a block of memory with a value using ldir:

Code:
CLR:
 ld hl,vRam
 ld de,vRam+1
 ld bc,320*240/8-1
 ld (hl),$0
 ldir
 ret
Runer112 wrote:
The exit condition check for CLR_loop is incorrect. As written, it will exit the loop when b-c=0, aka. b=c. 320*240/8=$2580, so this will happen after writing $80-$25=$5B=91 bytes (2 full rows plus 8 pixels on the 3rd). The common exit condition logic that I think you're looking for is ld a,b \ or a,c.

For the record, there's a much faster way to fill a block of memory with a value using ldir:

Code:
CLR:
 ld hl,vRam
 ld de,vRam+1
 ld bc,320*240/8-1
 ld (hl),$0
 ldir
 ret

Thank you! That makes sense. Could you please explain what the backslash does in this line
Runer112 wrote:
ld a,b \ or a,c
Many assemblers treat a backslash as if it were a line break, so that's just a quick way to type out a sequence of a few instructions in one line.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours