I got my connectivity kit for my 73 today and now im actually serious about programming, is it worth the money to buy the 40 dollar TI keyboard?
Just wondering. Smile
No, don't get it. MateoConLechuga informed me that the TI Keyboard is not even compatible with the TI 73. You should really get a newer calculator like a TI 84 Plus to use the keyboard. Smile

Here's the original post:
As someone who uses a keyboard with their calculator, I say No. Unless you have no other keyboard that will work with your calculator, it's much more worth it to get an adapter instead. It'll save you $35. Another reason is because the TI Keyboard is quite small and missing things like the num-pad and other useful buttons. Also, since TI BASIC is Token based instead of ASCII based, you can't just type commands using the keyboard and run the program. You'd have to run the program through a tokenizer before it could function and I'm not sure a tokenizer is available for the TI 73. Confession, I'm using a much newer TI 84 Plus CE so I'm not sure how compatible most keyboards will be for your calculator. Therefor I would suggest finding a super simple wired keyboard that does nothing special. Although a few wireless keyboards may work for you, it's more likely that a wired keyboard will work than a wireless one.
I look forward to seeing what you can create! Smile
If you plan on doing any serious programming, it would be much more efficient to create the program on the computer and then transfer it over to the calculator. Newer TI-73 models have a USB port iirc, if not, it would be better to invest in a TI-graph link than a keyboard.
If you do need to type in lots of text data directly to a calculator, a used TI-92 will do the job even better and costs less than the keyboard.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours