As I've detailed to some of you in IRC, I am underway in a complete redesign of my bonus room, complete with a small home theater, multiple tv's fancy Raspberry Pi controlled lighting, and a R-Pi controlled information panel very similar to this. I've got a decent GUI set up, but connecting to the internet is a curious case. From what I've gathered, I believe that my R-Pi doesn't know what DNS to choose, so doesn't know how to talk to an websites. Here's my problems:

Symptoms:
    Raspberry Pi connects to my router with ease, and can access sites only by explicitly typing in an IP. It cannot load a standard URL, saying there was an error resolving the host. What's strange is that raspian's built in web browser is the only one having issues. the NOOBS OS that boots when you run recovery mode on the Pi has it's own web browser that works fine, even typing in URLs.
System:
    I have done as much as I can to fix the problem. I am running Raspian on a Pi 3 connected to wifi wirelessly. I should note that our router is set up to deny internet access unless your MAC is whitelisted, but I am certain that the Pi is on that list. I went into the a few network configuration files and set 1.1.1.1 as a static DNS, but nothing so far (cloudflare).
What can I do to fix my connection problems? My project is at a standstill until this is fixed.

Code:
sudo /sbin/route add default gw <router ip>
sudo echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" > /etc/resolv.conf
sudo echo "nameserver 4.4.4.4" >> /etc/resolv.conf

Change <router ip> with the doodad.
Which is to say, Mateo suggests you use Google DNS rather than Cloudflare.
MateoConLechuga wrote:

Code:
sudo /sbin/route add default gw <router ip>
sudo echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" > /etc/resolv.conf
sudo echo "nameserver 4.4.4.4" >> /etc/resolv.conf
This will only work reliably if the system is not automatically updating resolv.conf (which Debian does by default). That and the shell redirection there requires the shell itself to be running as root, so the sudo invocations there are either insufficient or redundant.

Is AT&T your ISP? You might have been affected by their accidental blocking of Cloudflare DNS (which should work now), which would have made your workaround ineffective.

Which file(s) did you try changing? How did you configure the wifi to begin with?
Tari wrote:
Is AT&T your ISP? You might have been affected by their accidental blocking of Cloudflare DNS (which should work now), which would have made your workaround ineffective.
Yes, but we are not using their provided DNS server. We've set up our router to default to OpenDNS only if it isn't specified by the device. I'll try again when I get home.
Tari wrote:
Which file(s) did you try changing? How did you configure the wifi to begin with?
I'll have to go back into bash to find their names, but I restricted DNS to CloudFlare and told the Pi to wait for networking before booting.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours