Could I realistically move sprites in basic or should I use assembly?
Basic
 16%  [ 2 ]
Assembly
 16%  [ 2 ]
Ice
 66%  [ 8 ]
Other
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

I have this idea for a chess game where each player is on different calculators, connected via a link cable. The pices could be represented by numbers in a matrix.

Things I need to do
- Make a basic chess peice moving program based on matrices.

- Translate the matrix into sprites.

- create a wait and update system.

- Move sprites somehow. (Needs to be quick and small)

- killing pices.

- Debug rinse and repeat.

- other steps I find I need to do
A few things: good idea, but the CE doesn't have USB support yet, and ICE doesn't either. ICE also doesn't support matrices (there are some libraries, iirc), so you might have to wait on that. Other that that, sounds like a good idea... As for making it, BASIC is your best bet, although moving sprites in BASIC might just generally be slow. (BASIC can send/ receive data, though).

So the tradeoff here is multiplayer support vs. speed, multiplayer=BASIC, speed=ICE or ASM
I'm assuming that this is for the CE. Moving sprites in basic is definitely not very efficient, and it would be VERY SLOW. For this, you could use ICE (when/if matrices have been implemented) because ICE is quite easy to learn if you know Basic. If you want a challenge, you can try C, which Mateo used to make his chess program. (You should check it out). ASM is generally the hardest to use, unless you know it already, that is. Lots od games have been written in ASM, and they have a reputation of being very fast and high quality. (ICE compiles to ASM, IIRC) Personally, I'd say that you should try either ICE or C. For ICE, head over to the downloads for CE ASM programs. Link here: https://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=1481. For C, head over here and download the latest release for your platform. Then follow the directions on that site, and you'll be on your way.

Whoops. If you want multi-player, you might have to do something else. ICE I think you can work something out, but I don't know. C still needs USB documentation, so you might have to wait for that.

EDIT: Matrices will be supported in ICE 3.0, but that hasn't come out yet. (Thanks TLM)
You can do multiplayer in Basic, but moving sprites is just too slow. I don't know if you can, but maybe you can use ICE's run Basic command thing to send stuff over a link cable.
SM84CE wrote:
A few things: good idea, but the CE doesn't have USB support yet, and ICE doesn't either. ICE also doesn't support matrices (there are some libraries, iirc), so you might have to wait on that. Other that that, sounds like a good idea... As for making it, BASIC is your best bet, although moving sprites in BASIC might just generally be slow. (BASIC can send/ receive data, though).

So the tradeoff here is multiplayer support vs. speed, multiplayer=BASIC, speed=ICE or ASM
[quote]

I’d write the program in basic but would use either ASM, C or ICE to move the sprites.
Technically, if you really want to do it 2-calc multiplayer, your best bet would be basic, because it's possible to hammer out something really slow with send(), get() and GetCalc()
*click here for more information and routines on that*
However, this is a pain, both to code and to play, because it will be slow anyway. Fortunately, chess is one of the few games where a few seconds of latency between moves isn't really a big deal.
If you are willing to accept playing on only 1 calc, then ICE is your best bet, and a little bird might have told me that matrices were going to be included in upcoming versions of ICE, which will have a fixed dimensions of 25x25 (more than enough for a board of chess).
ICE will be much faster than basic, and allow for easy manipulation of sprites.
ICE does compile to ASM. It might sometimes be a bit tricky to make the move from pure basic to ICE, but it's worth learning, because

Also, I guess you could have a handful of ICE subprograms only for the displaying and moving of the sprites, but that will likely be quite messy to work with.
mr womp womp wrote:
Technically, if you really want to do it 2-calc multiplayer, your best bet would be basic, because it's possible to hammer out something really slow with send(), get() and GetCalc()
*click here for more information and routines on that*
However, this is a pain, both to code and to play, because it will be slow anyway. Fortunately, chess is one of the few games where a few seconds of latency between moves isn't really a big deal.
If you are willing to accept playing on only 1 calc, then ICE is your best bet. . .

. . .Also, I guess you could have a handful of ICE subprograms only for the displaying and moving of the sprites, but that will likely be quite messy to work with.

Or I could make a basic program in basic Very Happy Laughing that only deals with waiting and updating the matrix. Or the other option would be to make a battle ship program as this wouldn’t require moving sprites. And it would have less updates.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours