I would like to write some software that communicates with a running TI BASIC Program. Is there some kind of code library that does that? (Python, C, C++). If not, what can I do to make that work, or how does serial communication work on the TI 84 Plus? Ideally I would like to use the Mini USB Port.

P.S. I'm new to this site, Pls let me know If I'm doing something wrong.
Depending on what's at the other end, it sounds like ArTICL, which interfaces the Send/Get commands to an Arduino, might be useful to you. It works over the DBUS (I/O, 2.5mm) port.
KermMartian wrote:
Depending on what's at the other end, it sounds like ArTICL, which interfaces the Send/Get commands to an Arduino, might be useful to you. It works over the DBUS (I/O, 2.5mm) port.

I forgot to specify that I would like to connect it to my computer (Windows 10). Is there a way to do that? If not, I can still use the Arduino, and definitely use that in the future. I would like to connect it directly to the calculators USB Port.

Also, This whole little community behind completely misusing calculators in awesome ways is just so cool. Awesome site.
Traditionally, Send and Get work through the legacy I/O port, not through the mini-USB port.
The protocol used by Send / Get is largely understood and partially documented in e.g. the linkguide.

On the computer side, last year, I added partial support for the Send / Get communication protocol through legacy I/O port (not mini-USB) to libticalcs in https://github.com/debrouxl/tilibs (experimental2 branch). The test_ticalcs_2 TUI front-end makes it possible to send a bunch of commands to e.g. a CBL2, see the input_dbus_ti68k_* files in https://github.com/debrouxl/tilibs/tree/experimental2/libticalcs/trunk/tests .
I focused on the TI-68k protocol, and on transferring lists, since that's the main input for the CBL2; you need the TI-Z80 protocol and possibly other file types...
The task was quite a bit more complex than I envisioned, and took me a lot of time; I haven't worked that much on new high-profile features since then.

EDIT: oh, and you can always take advantage of the TilEm TI-Z80 emulator, which also uses the tilibs, to communicate with your 84+ calculator using Send / Get. Most other emulators don't provide support for communicating with real calculators. For the same technical reason, the tilibs-based TIEmu TI-68k emulator can do the same thing with real TI-68k calculators.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours