Okay, let's start off with processor specs. We want to have a powerful proc, but not too powerful, or we'll never be able to finish the project Razz Some procs that come to mind:

Parallax SX chips
FPGA's of some sort
some type ARM proc
Atmel AVR

Also, there's the new AVR32 that's come out just recently; so far it's looking preety good.

Preferably we should be looking for at least 16-bit procs with a lot of i/o pins. Also, the higher the MIPS, the better Smile
If I were you, I'd start with a 32bit proc so that you can access more than 65k of RAM without needing to flip pages....
Yeah, the 68k line is 32-bit, so I'd go with that rather than the (quite) limiting 16-bit. Then again, I never really had to deal with a 16-bit barrier, so that's bias.
Or, you could have a full-blown king-of-the-handhelds that uses a 64bit proc... Laughing
Well, I've never really worked with anything that required more than a 16-bit embedded proc...so I set that as the lower limit.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Or, you could have a full-blown king-of-the-handhelds that uses a 64bit proc... 0x5

I like to use my calculator without oven mitts. Razz
I vote 32 bit.
kirb wrote:

Wuss Razz Do they even make embedded 64bit CPUs yet?
I don't think in your standard x86 they do (just as a heads up, my MSCE Books on Win2K prior to SP1 talk about 64 bit procs, so some have been around a while).
Kllrnohj wrote:
kirb wrote:

lol, you could always just go with an 8-core Opteron processor.....

seriously though, AVR32 sounds like a good idea.

also, @rivereye why would we want x86?
Kllrnohj wrote:
kirb wrote:

I'm not worried about the heat, it's the melting plastic that is 100% guaranteed not good for your health. Plus, oven mitss make hitting individual buttons near-impossible.
elfprince13 wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
kirb wrote:

0x5, you could always just go with an 8-core Opteron processor.....

seriously though, AVR32 sounds like a good idea.

also, @rivereye why would we want x86?

the question was if 64bit procs were imbeded yet, I said most likely not in x86, I am not puching for it.
Quote:
Do they even make embedded 64bit CPUs yet?

Yes, but no one uses them Razz
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Yes, but no one uses them Razz

Well its about time someone should! Ti's measely Z80-based calcs can only access 65k of ram, but a beastly 64bit-based CPU could accesss an ungodly amount of ram, somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 exabytes (eb = 1024pb, pb = 1024tb, tb = 1024gb - so 16eb = 16*1024*1024*1024gb)....

From wikipedia:
Quote:
As of 2006, exabytes of data are almost never encountered in any practical context. For example, the total amount of printed material in the world is estimated to be around five exabytes. However, one may hear of 16 or 18 exabytes of address space when discussing 64-bit architectures.

It was estimated that by the end of 1999, the sum of human knowledge (including audio, video and text) was 12 exabytes.[1]

Research at the UC Berkeley School of Information suggests that 5 exabytes of storage space was created in 2002 alone, 92% of it on magnetic media, mostly on hard discs.[2] However, the vast majority of this space is used to store redundant intellectual works such as music and commercial video.

It is claimed that 5 exabytes of data approximately equals "all words ever spoken by human beings."[2][3][4] The 2003 University of California Berkelely report, often cited as the source of this statement, itself cites the website of Cal Tech researcher Roy Williams where the statement can be found as early as May, 1999.[5] The validity of this estimate is disputed.
My Dad was telling me about this last year when his company upgraded their data storage units; we calculated that it would take (at the time) 100,000 Clarions to equal that amount Laughing (Note: a Clairion is a data storage unit produced by EMCC; basically one big-@$$ hard drive Laughing)

EDIT: Did some more research on the AVR32...I'm starting to like it Very Happy
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/devices.asp?family_id=682

Too bad they're only available via dev boards right now Crying

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours