Should this be developed into a real thing?
Yes!
 100%  [ 11 ]
Nope, looks totally lame
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

With inspiration from Banchor: Legend of Hellspawn, I decided to try my hand at a simple, home screen RPG. I wasn't originally going to make a post about this, but I guess since I wrote over 200 lines of code in under just a few hours then it could become a real thing...

Here is what I have so far:

F stands for "friends", B stands for "bushes", and "E" stands for enemies. The enemies have a simple AI that tell them to go toward the player.
Objects on the map can easily be changed out for different symbols when setting the symbol string at the beginning of the program.

Let me know what you think, and if I should develop it further. It's not the fastest right now but it can definitely be optimized.
This could easily turn into the next Source Seekers. I'd love to see that (especially a version where you can use your weapon in any direction, instead of only horizontally).
JWinslow23 wrote:
This could easily turn into the next Source Seekers. I'd love to see that (especially a version where you can use your weapon in any direction, instead of only horizontally).

Oh yeah, I just tried out that game and I enjoyed it!

In my game you can use your weapon in any direction. I originally had it as a sword but I wanted to see if I could make a ray gun. I'm thinking about keeping the same layout to my game but I might transfer it to the graph screen to give me a few more options (like colors).

The main thing right now, is that I need to switch over from using matrices to using a list for the map storage, if I can.

EDIT:
I've transferred the whole game to be stored in a list. However, even lists have a max storage of 999 elements. If I am storing one 10x26 room in it, it takes up 260 elements, and if I am storing 3 rooms in it (which I have now) then it takes up 780 elements. This means one list can only hold 3 rooms at a time, unless there is some better way to store the rooms.

Also I changed the ray gun to only go 4 blocks out, rather than to the wall. And I've also added another friend in the 3rd room.

I have now transferred all map storage over to a string.

In addition, I have created another program which allows me to design however many rooms I like through my own unique interface, which takes away a lot of the hard work.

More updates (and hopefully an actual RPG title) coming soon.
Michael2_3B wrote:

In addition, I have created another program which allows me to design however many rooms I like through my own unique interface, which takes away a lot of the hard work.

I should get you to help design levels in an RPG I'm working on too! Razz
/me runs
(I'm serious though, if you're interested)
beckadamtheinventor wrote:
Michael2_3B wrote:

I should get you to help design levels in an RPG I'm working on too! Razz
/me runs
(I'm serious though, if you're interested)

Sure! I'd be willing to take a look. Just pm me if you like.

Enjoy another overly long recording demo-ing what the program can do:

Again this is just a demo, not necessarily the final map design.

There is now a lives feature, a sword and a stronger sword, a water board, and an inventory button to see all this.
Enemies have been temporarily removed until I make their AI better or until I come up with the plot and title.
I remember making something very similar to this once during a class and continuing to make it after but I lost my code at some point. I couldn't do it anymore but its nice to see people are still interested in TI-BASIC.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours