Quote:
I doubt that they actually told the truth in their email to you, because I honestly doubt that there really was a bug, that TI just needed to solve, and if they did, I am almost 100% sure that they are deleting the ASM prgm indicator as a result of constant pressure from the DOE because students are getting games on their calculator.

Remember what I said? Now I got the reply:

Quote:
Hello Steven,

Thank you for contacting Texas Instruments.

I understand that you are curious as to why access the "Asm84CEPrgm" command was disabled with the latest TI-84 Plus CE Graphing Calculator Operating System update. I will be glad to provide information on this subject.

There are classroom exams and other test scenarios where simple calculator clearing or calculator resets are used instead of test modes such as Press-to-Test. This restriction strengthens calculator security to support those exam scenarios.

While the use of the Asm84CEPrgm command is now restricted when writing programs on the stand-alone calculator, its functionality remains. Programs that are written using computer tools such as the TI Connect CE Program Editor have access to the Asm84CEPrgm command in the catalog tree. Programs that use these commands to create an Asm program can then be linked to, edited and run on the calculator.

For useful resources to answer questions and provide example calculations, visit our online Knowledge Base - accessible to you 24/7 at the following URL:

https://education.ti.com/go/kbase

I hope that you find this information useful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to send me an email.

Sincerely,

Daryl
Texas Instruments
So what else did they add in 5.3.1?
All colors (added by me) in your post correspond to colors in my post.

coolcrab123 wrote:
I doubt that they actually told the truth in their email to you, because I honestly doubt that there really was a bug, that TI just needed to solve, and if they did, I am almost 100% sure that they are deleting the ASM prgm indicator as a result of constant pressure from the DOE because students are getting games on their calculator.

Why would they lie to me?
Nothing in their response to me mentioned a bug they needed to solve. I have no clue where you got that idea.
Writing games via the Asm84CEPrgm token is incredibly impractical, so what you said is entirely irrational. If you were able to do that, you probably don't need your math class.

Your reasoning is entirely unfounded.
So what they are scared of is people writing archive undelete inline during a test in the case where their calc has been reset, but is not in PTT... That sounds equally non-trivial and implausible... If TI provides an exam mode, and schools don't use it, that's on them. Also, saying that the token is available on ti-connect CE is really dumb, because if you are on a computer, you will use an assembler, you won't write inline hex. If just the RAM has been reset (I've had exams where that's what the teachers did), then just dumping your programs in the archive and unarchiving them after would be enough, defeating the purpose of all this.
They did this because I wrote a program that disabled PTT while in PTT with just a few bytes and sent to them. It would even keep blinking the testing led. Now stop with the speculation.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
They did this because I wrote a program that disabled PTT while in PTT with just a few bytes and sent to them. It would even keep blinking the testing led. Now stop with the speculation.

Even if this is true, that only reinforces the fact that TI should have blocked the token ONLY in PTT mode.
mr womp womp wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:

Even if this is true, that only reinforces the fact that TI should have blocked the token ONLY in PTT mode.

Actually, unless you're talking about something else that you sent them yourself, we showed/shared its launcher in a few bytes of hex, but did not share the program itself, since it's not to be made publicly available anyway, and they already know that with ASM full control is easily doable, because of the many flaws. I mean, they can figure out their PTT/LED code better than us, they wrote it... so disabling PTT is trivial for them.

Their answer regarding schools/places where only a reset instead of full-on PTT does shed some light on a reasoning they've had, however - at last an information they should have publicly provided early on.
Um... I connected my calculator and TIConnect did not mention an update available... Did TI take the update down?
You can check on the TI website if 5.3.1 is still there.
jcgter777 wrote:
You can check on the TI website if 5.3.1 is still there.

I did not see it
It's still there. Link here.
Isn't it possible to store the token to a string and recall it from that, allowing non-reset calculators to access the command and preventing cleared calculators from accessing it?
Or, using Rcl on a program containing the token?
The token is still in the catalog. It just doesn't work. From the screenshpts, you can see the blue line crossing it out.
Minxrod wrote:
Isn't it possible to store the token to a string and recall it from that, allowing non-reset calculators to access the command and preventing cleared calculators from accessing it?
Or, using Rcl on a program containing the token?

Yes it is, it's only blocked in the catalog. As far as I can tell, their reasoning is based on the fact that for some tests or whatnot, teachers (not using PTT for some reason) will reset the calcs, and put them on the students' table/desk, and no transfers (by the students) will be done etc.
Here is a beta video I created warning people about OS 5.3.1. Could I get it fact checked and any other feedback please? [REMOVED]
EDIT: Thanks for your feed back everyone! Especially Adriweb, I'll be fixing the errors immediately. Smile
You spelled calculator wrong a few times, otherwise, great!
I thought that the video was very good. It had a few typos, but it was very detailed! I can see you're a great youtuber! Razz

One thing. I don't really know how much TI actually cares about our concerns, other than some certain people that are familiar with them, like on TI-Planet, because when I emailed them with a question about my broken calculator, or more like I-don't-know-how-to-fix question, I should really have posted here, or asked on SAX/IRC. Their answer was very not to the point, and didn't help me at all. I've talked with 3 or more different representatives, and only 1 was very nice and actually tried to help. (Go look for a quote by john35588 on SAX/IRC). I don't know, but from my experience, they don't care as much as they claim to. I hope they do listen to people that email them about this, because it is cool to be able to program ASM on-calc (even though I don't know how) and use small ASM utilities that help a lot.
Did Mateo get money ?
It's Mateo, thank you very much, and I do not think that he is the type of person that would take a bribe from TI (TI!)
it was just a bug that allowed people to perhaps cheat, and lots of good seasoned ASM programmers know how to do it. Because of this, TI decided to, as mentioned in the video, "step up their security", and so they restricted use of ASM tokens like Asm84CEprgm and stuff like that which allow for on-calc programming.
Alvajoy123 wrote:
Did Meteo get money ?

What?! Where did you possibly get that idea? Of course he didn't get any money! He simply found a bug, and notified TI about it. Wink

Anyways, thanks for your feedback jcgter and SM84CE I'll fix those typos. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours