Hi,
New to the forum and Im having a problem as I cant seem to compute variables such as x * x equals x^2. The key to the right of the alpha key doesnt seem to work as it appears the X is being interpreted as a 4 instead of as a variable. I hope this is just me as it is really important that I am able to do this!
anyone have an answer?
thank you any help is much appreciated
I'm not sure I understand your problem...

It sounds like the value of 4 is stored in the variable X. If you want to store something else in X, simply do something like 3.14159->X or 65536->X or whatever value you want.

The "->" is the [sto] button, by the way.
the ti-84 is not very good at doing symbolic math (which is what you are trying to do)... if you are trying to solve for x, you can use the equation solver under the [math] key, it should be "B:Solver..."
Michael2_3B wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your problem...

It sounds like the value of 4 is stored in the variable X. If you want to store something else in X, simply do something like 3.14159->X or 65536->X or whatever value you want.

The "->" is the [sto] button, by the way.

No, I dont want to store any numerical value at all. I want to calculate symbols.
Pieman7373 wrote:
the ti-84 is not very good at doing symbolic math (which is what you are trying to do)... if you are trying to solve for x, you can use the equation solver under the [math] key, it should be "B:Solver..."

aww, it looks as if the ti-84 is not really capable of this function. that a real letdown Sad
michaelcreed1 wrote:
Pieman7373 wrote:

aww, it looks as if the ti-84 is not really capable of this function. that a real letdown Sad

yeah... that is one of the things that the 84 doesn't do well... i'm sorry to disappoint you ;-;

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours