timedia wrote:
Google docs just got a redesigned logo, did you see it

You forgot a question mark...
***jcgter777 runs

Just Joking

The logo does not really matter, I don't think. This is just supposed to be related to a holiday (or more, I guess Razz)

Let's see SAX on a calc!!! (You might try IRC if you have excess time Wink )
timedia wrote:
Google docs just got a redesigned logo, did you see it

By chance, I did.

It's all extremely easy to change, but I'll need to be sitting in front of an actual Docs picture this time.

I created the intro, too. It's a bit large, at exactly 700 bytes, but it's pretty sweet.

https://youtu.be/Wjdzu8kGauw
Nice work on the intro
timedia wrote:
Nice work on the intro

Thinks!

I got some basic gameplay (as in, progress is tracked and the two aforementioned bars are drawn) done and it turns out that it's a really boring game. I've decided to replace the SAX screen with a sweet custom upgrades menu that will hopefully not be an excellent way to catch up on your sleep.

Edit: I'll try to remember to get a screenshot and update my repo.
Can't wait to see the screenshots (or gifs)
This project is far from dead! I've been working hard during my study halls to both finish my homework and add this upgrades screen. I'm thinking of adding both thematic upgrades (holiday-specific) and more general things, like point bonuses and whatnot

EDIT: I added the new updates to my Github repo. (including the unfinished upgrades screen and the functioning bars)

I'm proposing the following system:
If you optimize my code somehow, I will include your Cemetech username (or, if you don't have a Cemetech account, a username of your choice) and the number of bytes you managed to shave off.

Just create a pull request on the GitHub repo or post with your optimizations here! For those unable to post their optimizations on Cemetech or GitHub, I have created a form where you can submit a username and your revised code. Here's a link to my GitHub repo, where you can find the source. A functional downloadable .8xp program file and its TI-BASIC source code (use SC3, located in source.txt) are all available, as well as my screenshots.
I really like the intro! Is [enter] the only key that shows stuff on screen? I was spamming [enter] in CEmu and it took me a long time to fill up the screen, since no other keys showed any output. Also, is the bar(s) going out of it's "bucket" meant? Or is that just a known bug?

Too bad an error closed it out after filling up the Google Docs screen and made me miss out on Sublime text and SAX (?). (TLM said that first)
I absolutely adore your intro! I couldn't get enough of it, so I edited your program so it would loop the intro. Razz

You are a heck of a lot better at BASIC than I am, it took me half an hour to make this simple change because your code was so optimized, I couldn't read it! Laughing

I like how the game looks so far, just implement the game mechanics and it'll be great!
When you have about 90 minutes each day, you get really good at creating random crud. I am pretty good at text effects, it's something I was challenged to do by a friend, and I got... quite good.

I made my own scrolling text routine for one of the error messages on the upgrades screen.
I got a ton done since I last posted! Here's a changelog.

Changelog:

• Code and Essay length are now stored and re-drawn correctly.
  • Google Docs screen updated to better reflect the improved Google Docs. I really like how it turned out, despite the fact that it still needs work.
  • Optimizations- Program is now 10% faster, according to my tests.
  • Added a clock! Game is now 10 minutes long, excluding screen redraw times and the "Pause Clock" upgrade effect.
  • Added names to the upgrades, as well as a shop info thingie.
  • Added upgrade functionality to certain upgrades:

• Point Booster: Dramatically increases minimum number of points received while writing code.
    • Pause Clock: Pauses the countdown clock for 30 seconds immediately after purchase.
    • Grammar Check: Increases the speed at which you can write your essay.
    • (planned) First-Person War Narrative: Decreases the rate at which you get bored, increases essay writing speed, and significantly slows down (not freezing) the clock.

• If you are too bored, you no longer are able to complete your essay and need to do some programming.

It took me an extremely long time to figure out how I could pause my clock in TI-Basic for a certain duration of time. It's relatively simple to pause the clock while other code executes, as shown below.

Code:
//Note that the startTmr token is essentially a variable holding a number that represents the current
//time, and the checkTmr( command essentially takes the current value of startTmr at execution and
//subtracts the value stored in the provided variable from it.

//Initialize a timer to variable A by storing the current time to A
startTmr->A

<put code to execute while clock is running here>
//Get the amount of time elapsed since the time was stored to A, and store it to B, for safe keeping. Optionally, you can even store it back into A.
checkTmr(A->B
//note that the clock still technically runs here, so none of the calculations here can use the timer stored in A.
<put code to execute while clock is paused here>
//Take the current time, and move backwards B seconds, storing it back into A
startTmr-B->A

Having it pause for a certain duration is much harder, and I leave that as an exercise to the reader. I'm sure some form of microscopic code snippet for what I am trying to do is posted somewhere, but I'm quite proud of my solution nonetheless.

I also want to say that you can skip the intro by pressing [sto->]. You could do it in the last update, but I forgot to post it.

I updated the GitHub repo, and the previous challenge still applies. If you can shave off some bytes in the program, I will include your username in the README, as well as the number of bytes you shaved off!

Believe it or not, the code was at 4500-ish bytes, but I have since shaved off about 800 bytes off of the already-optimized program, which I am extremely proud of.
Please post a screenshot
timedia wrote:
Please post a screenshot

I unfortunately cannot, because my CEmu is extremely old not working, and I don't have the time today to wrangle with my program and get some interesting eye-candy with TI-Connect's understandably limited screencapturing capabilities.

I could get another phone-gif later today, though, if I find the time.
If you need to, I can get a gif to post here. CEmu (mostly) works for me, but the only thing I've done with it so far is to play TimePilot using computer arrow keys Razz. I'd be willing to help if there is need! Smile I like the new features! Nice work!
jcgter777 wrote:
If you need to, I can get a gif to post here. CEmu (mostly) works for me, but the only thing I've done with it so far is to play TimePilot using computer arrow keys Razz. I'd be willing to help if there is need! Smile I like the new features! Nice work!

If you could get a gif showing off freezing the clock, it would be awesome. If you change this line in the program, it will give you points when the game loads. It won't render the score until you make a purchase or gain other points, though.
Reasons to vote for my submission:
- I've been working on it for longer than any of the other contestents.
- I've spent over 90 minutes each school day on it.
- It features quality BASIC graphics, obviously better than all of the other submissions combined.
- I can ban you from make it extremely difficult for you to use my services.*
- It's less than 4200 bytes.
- IIRC it's 420 lines of code, if that matters to you.

*ok, just kidding. This contest is all in the name of good fun and programming. Vote as you wish on what you think is the best entry, and it's all anonymous anyways. This post is a joke (sort of).
I will vote for you if you stop hacking my website
Just by looking at the GIF jcgter took I can already tell that I'm most likely going to vote for it! (Can I get a special rank on your services because of that? Razz )

timedia wrote:

Maybe you should code your website better, _iPhoenix_ had to suffer through people hacking and exploiting his sites with no mercy. At least he's not hacking just to mess with you, he's trying to point out vulnerabilities that you need to fix . Wink
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Just by looking at the GIF jcgter took I can already tell that I'm most likely going to vote for it! (Can I get a special rank on your services because of that? Razz )

timedia wrote:

Maybe you should code your website better, _iPhoenix_ had to suffer through people hacking and exploiting his sites with no mercy. At least he's not hacking just to mess with you, he's trying to point out vulnerabilities that you need to fix . Wink

I have known this issue for a while, will fix fully tommorow, obfuscating the code today as a temporary fix.

And the rest of the code is fine, plus this a google replacement website, it is really complicated so there are plenty of issues to fix ( 3,839 commits on github)
I was not hacking your website. I was looking for potential vulnerabilities that you could fix. I'm sorry if it came across this way. I never did anything besides disabling your script to prevent devtools from being opened. You should make a topic once you are done fixing it, because I really like your ideas.

This is literally all you need to do Smile

• Fix the login things. Firebase provides several authentication methods. It's really simple Smile
  • Remove the script preventing users from opening devtools, it's easily disabled and bad practice. It throws a huge red flag.

I'm just going to state this again, I'm trying to help you, not hurt you, and I'm sorry if my actions made it sound like I was trying to do the latter. I can tell that you really put a lot of effort into making it as it currently is. I respect that, and I hope to see more of your project.

Let's keep this thread on-topic, though Smile

SAX/IRC wrote:
<iPhoenix> Hacking is also known as debugging, but it's more forceful.
[TheLastMillennial] door kicking is just like uninstalling a door, just more forceful

semi-relevant irc logs ftw
Is there a download link to test out your prgm, and how did you disable the script? (I want to know as well, sometimes i need to test things and can't)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours