Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
What's that? Did I hear someone wanted find & replace implemented?

Edit: The update has been accepted to the archives!

Well even if not, I implemented it anyways! Update v1.1.0 is out, and here's what it includes:
-find&replace feature
--text boxes can be used just as easily as the editor, includes special characters, deletion, etc and [enter] characters are displayed here as the xbar symbol.

-compression on/off option
--if you know Str6 won't be tampered with, there's no need to have compression on
--if Str6 was tampered with, and compression is off and the program has trouble starting, then the next time the program is run, it will turn compression back on and try to load the last save.

-auto-saving is set to a permanent interval of every 20 edits
—this can still be manually changed by editing the 3rd element of LBNER

Fancy find&replace screenie:
That interface looks awesome! Is there a reason that "replace" is "Rplace" in the "Func" menu? I assume it is to save horizontal space, but it looks a little weird Wink

I don't know if you saw my IRC message, but (using the data -> .8xs script I wrote) I added auto downloading to Txt2Note in my PR.

All you really have to do is enter the escape sequences for the bytes of each character that is in the "dictionary" that isn't in the lookupTable look up table already (I added some of the tokens myself). You can find the bytes on TIBD.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
That interface looks awesome! Is there a reason that "replace" is "Rplace" in the "Func" menu? I assume it is to save horizontal space, but it looks a little weird Wink

Yes, it is because I could not fit the entire word in that horizontal space. What might you suggest instead?

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
I don't know if you saw my IRC message, but (using the data -> .8xs script I wrote) I added auto downloading to Txt2Note in my PR.

All you really have to do is enter the escape sequences for the bytes of each character that is in the "dictionary" that isn't in the lookupTable look up table already (I added some of the tokens myself). You can find the bytes on TIBD.

Ok, awesome! I accepted the PR but the site isn't quite operational yet. I will try to get it working here soon.
Remember, if you find a bug, be sure to report it here! I am compiling a list and will likely miss some if you don't tell me.

+I've recently fixed the find & replace routine. If your replacement string contains stuff that's in your find string, it no longer goes on an infinite loop. For example, want to put the letter "A" at the beginning of each new line in your note? You would need to replace "x̄" (x̄ pops up in the text box when you hit enter) with "x̄A".

+I've also fixed a bug where the cursor doesn't show up in the right spot in the text box after using special characters.

EDIT:
+fixed a bug where program would crash because it incorrectly dealt with the line break character (x̄) in the text box

+fixed a bug where token and token width dictionaries weren't initialized at proper spot

Other bug fixes and optimizations are coming soon in v1.1.1.
Another update, v1.1.2 is out.

This update fixes several bugs and has some minor graphical improvements.

+The "OK" button in find&replace is green now when you are on it. However if either of your two text boxes are empty, the button will be red. Clicking it while red will simply take you back to the editor.

+Optimized find&replace routine

+Improved deletion rendering in text boxes

+Fixed bug where cursor wasn't updated in text box because of text scrolling

+Fixed bug in editor where cursor wouldn't update after pasting the clipboard

+Fixed bug where string2note calculation algorithm couldn't handle two line breaks next to each other.

In addition, you should know that .txt to Note is still on its way, I just need some more time.
BasicNote has reached over 500 downloads! Thank you all for checking it out and be sure to leave a review if you like.
Sorry to report a bug, but I have a bug (I feel like this should already be fixed, but here it is):

The scroll bar overlaps the menu when the last line of a scrollable piece of text is deleted.

Extra side note: when the first line of a file is empty, The name is an x̄ (not sure what I'de do about that though).

Regardless, this is a great program, and I look forward to many future versions.
LogicalJoe wrote:
The scroll bar overlaps the menu when the last line of a scrollable piece of text is deleted.

Wow, that is such an incredibly important issue... /s
Lol but yeah, that should be a really simple fix. As it is a rather complex program as a whole I'm not surprised I messed up on little things here and there.

LogicalJoe wrote:
Extra side note: when the first line of a file is empty, The name is an x̄ (not sure what I'de do about that though).

The program is designed to scan for the first actual text in the file. It displays the first line that has text as the title of the note. If it doesn't find any text, but there are the paragraph breaks as you're saying, the title defaults to x̄.

LogicalJoe wrote:
Regardless, this is a great program, and I look forward to many future versions.

Thank you! I don't know if I'll actually be making "many future versions" as I'm quite done with this project already. But I'll let you know.
I found 3 related crashes (that's right, these are more than just graphical issues).

1-Ghost Text Syndrome
2-Random crash
3-Text duplication (almost the same as Ghost Text Syndrome, just the text is displayed)

Every one of these requires that you first make the first line of text exceed the line length (cause it to rap)

1 - Delete a few characters off of the end of line 1 (note that it does not correct the rap), then move the cursor to the start of the 2nd line and delete what appears to be the new line, this will cause ghost text to appear in place of the first line, editing the ghost text (or pressing right enough) will cause a crash.

2 - Move the cursor to the beginning of the 2nd line and press [del] (delete what looks like the newline character.)

3 - Delete the 2nd line entirely (you can delete text on the first line as well) and insert text on the first line.

Please note that I was for the most part just spamming the keyboard and if any readable text is there, it is meaningless.

Fix these bugs and I'll do my best to find more of them. Smile
Good finds.
I can't explain there any better then the APNG's can… But I'll give it a try.

1 - having a line of text (with a space in it) and typing a catalog character will cause a crash.

2 - having an unbroken line of text and typing a catalog character causes the catalog menu cursor to do some funny things and can be used to cause more graphical issues (including a crash).

The more I use BasicNote the more intricate bugs get, I had a few others, but I was unable to reproduce them.

Should I keep reporting these bugs? Sad
LogicalJoe wrote:
Should I keep reporting these bugs? Sad

Well, it is helpful to have a list of bugs and know some of the specifics, so thank you for that!

I'll consider trying to fix these bugs, but only if I get $100 per fixed bug.
I'll give you $100 equivalent to Nuclear Reactor Sim CE currency, if you'd like... Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 4
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours