I have an old TI-83+SE that I want to fix. Every time I turn it on, it turns off in a few seconds. I've reset it, cleared all memory, and replaced the batteries.

Any ideas on how to fix? (I don't have a cable at the moment. I need to find one)
I've never heard of such an issue, my first thought was that the batteries were very dead, but since you said you've already replaced those, I'm fresh out of ideas Razz
I guess the next step would be reinstalling the OS, and then cleaning, which I guess would be some pretty generic steps, but I doubt those will be successful.
I guess I'll have to stick to my CE! Razz

I think I have a TI89 Titanium somewhere. I just need to find it Razz.
What shows up on the screen before it turns off? Normal text and a flashing cursor, or just solid black (or something else)?
It just fades out. It now says that I'm on low battery, but the batteries are new, and when I test them, they're full. I think it's a problem with the power connections.
That's entirely possible. Have you tried cleaning the contacts in the battery compartment with rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball or a Q-tip? Was there ever battery corrosion in the battery compartment that could have leaked onto the mainboard?
KermMartian wrote:
That's entirely possible. Have you tried cleaning the contacts in the battery compartment with rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball or a Q-tip? Was there ever battery corrosion in the battery compartment that could have leaked onto the mainboard?

I don't have rubbing alcohol, but I have cleaned it before. It's still dirty, but it's mostly rust. No batteries have leaked, as far as I know. Would I have to take it apart?

EDIT: The contacts are all really shiny, so I guess they're clean? Also, does not having a backup battery affect it?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours