To all the calculator gurus out there, help please!

The On Key of my TI-84 is not functioning. The calculator cannot turn on or off.
Right now, I can only turn it on by accessing the Software reset screen (hold Del and insert battery) and waiting for it to timeout so that I can go to the normal calculator screen. During then, i verified that all other keys are working except for the 'On' key

What should I do to repair the On key?
That is certainly a problem, the only thing I can think of is: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/TI-84+Plus+Silver+Edition+Individual+Key+Replacement/19489. The problem is that there is a large chance of breaking the whole calculator[/url]
Have you tried leaving the battery out for at least an hour?
Um, timedia, your link is broken. It leads to a 404 error. Wink

I don't have a way to fix your on button, however I think I have a better way to turn on your calculator without resetting it every time. Get out your mini USB A to mini USB B connector that allows you to transfer data across calculators. Now find the end marked with an A (If you cant find it, the A side has white filling instead of black)

If you plug the USB A side into the calculator's mini USB port, it should turn on. Once it turns on you can remove the wire if you want.
Note: this WILL work with any mini USB A, it will NOT work with any mini USB B connectors.
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Um, timedia, your link is broken. It leads to a 404 error. Wink

I don't have a way to fix your on button, however I think I have a better way to turn on your calculator without resetting it every time. Get out your mini USB A to mini USB B connector that allows you to transfer data across calculators. Now find the end marked with an A (If you cant find it, the A side has white filling instead of black)

If you plug the USB A side into the calculator's mini USB port, it should turn on. Once it turns on you can remove the wire if you want.
Note: this WILL work with any mini USB A, it will NOT work with any mini USB B connectors.

He included the '.' at the end of his sentence in the url tags, but fixing the link brings up a tutorial on how to open up a ti-84...
I like the usb trick Razz It will also work with usb-OTG cables/adapters.
It's hard to tell exactly what's going wrong, although I feel like it would either be a conductive thing (often a pencil lead) stuck in the link port, or some battery leakage onto the keypad (which is directly above the battery compartment)
If it is the link port, it can be fixed by removing the conductive thing clogging up the port, which is just a matter of opening it up and fiddling with it.
If it is a battery leak, then you could clean the affected portions of the board with some isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab, but that really depends on the extent of the damage.
If it is neither of those things, then I can't help you fix it, but if you can't turn off your calc either, then you can use a little program to do it.

Code:
AsmPrgm3E01D303FB76FDCB09A6C9

Which you can run using the Asm( token.
Nice trick, using the USB and the program is almost like having a button, except you cant break a program (is there any other way than on)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours