I wanted to begin making a simple game where you must dodge various moving objects. I have it so it will set up the area around the screen, and put a "*" as the moveable character. How would I get input from the user to move the "*" This was my first idea, and I thought it would work, but it doesn't. Right now it just ends before I can move.

P.S. All of the extra spaces are so I can check each little bit of code at a time.

Code:

ClrHome
1->A
1->B
13->C
5->D
Repeat B>25
   Output(A,B,"0
   B+1->B
End
Pause
Repeat A>9
   Output(A,B,"0
   A+1->A
End
Pause
Repeat B<2
   Output(A,B,"0
   B-1->B
End
Pause
Repeat A<1
   Output(A,B,"0
   A-1->A
End
Pause
Output(6,1,"
Pause
Output(6,26,"
Pause
Output(1,12,"
Pause
Output(10,12,"
Pause
Output(1,13,"
Pause
Output(10,13,"
Pause
Output(1,14,"
Pause
Output(10,14,"
Output(D,C,"*
While getKey=25
   Output(D,C,"
   D-1->D
   Output(D,C,"*
End
Pause

Thanks for your help.
Sorry, ignore that last post, unless you saw more to fix, then please tell me.

I think I figured out how to prevent the sudden end of the program, but a new, even stranger problem arose. When I try to move, it will only move after I press the arrow several times, or it won't move at all

Code:

ClrHome
1->A
1->B
13->C
5->D
1->E
1->F
1->G
1->H
Repeat B>25
   Output(A,B,"0
   B+1->B
End
Pause
Repeat A>9
   Output(A,B,"0
   A+1->A
End
Pause
Repeat B<2
   Output(A,B,"0
   B-1->B
End
Pause
Repeat A<1
   Output(A,B,"0
   A-1->A
End
Pause
Output(6,1,"
Pause
Output(6,26,"
Pause
Output(1,12,"
Pause
Output(10,12,"
Pause
Output(1,13,"
Pause
Output(10,13,"
Pause
Output(1,14,"
Pause
Output(10,14,"
Output(D,C,"*
Repeat getKey=105
   While getKey=25
   Output(D,C,"
   D-1->D
   Output(D,C,"*
End
While getKey=34
   Output(D,C,"
   D+1->D
   Output(D,C,"*
End
While getKey=24
   Output(D,C,"
   C-1->C
   Output(D,C,"*
End
While getKey=26
   Output(D,C,"
   C+1->C
   Output(D,C,"*
   End
End

I have no idea what is going on and would appreciate the help. Sorry for being so needy Sad .
If you'll excuse an advertisement for a moment, my book Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus has a whole chapter (Chapter 6) devoted to explaining this sort of thing. I believe they actually offer it for free as a teaser if you click through.
To accomplish what you are trying to do, I would use code that looks like this:

Code:

Repeat G=45 //This loops until the getKey (stored in g) is the clear button

//This draws the character if the x or y has changed since the last drawing. Excuse me not having the not equals symbol.
If X is not equal to S or Y is not equal to T
Then
Output(Y,X,"*
Output(T,S,"
End

getKey->G

//I store these values to create a backup of x and y so that I know where to erase
X->S
Y->T

//Checks for each of the arrow keys and then increments/decrements x or y. I use Then so that you can put multiple lines in the statement, such as checking for collision.
//Arrow keys repeat their value, so there's no need for the while that you added, you will only have to press the button once
If G=24
Then
X-1->X
End
If G=26
Then
X+1->X
End
If G=25
Then
Y-1->Y
End
If G=34
Then
Y+1->Y
End
End
KermMartian wrote:
If you'll excuse an advertisement for a moment, my book Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus has a whole chapter (Chapter 6) devoted to explaining this sort of thing. I believe they actually offer it for free as a teaser if you click through.

I do have the book, but I'm in chapter 4. I guess I got ahead of myself. Smile
Would this work then. I looked at dankcalculatorbro's post and tried to modify it to fit my variable and I got this. I also tried to implement a detection system if the "*" touches all wall.

Code:

Repeat G=45
   If C!=E or D!=F
   Then
      Output(C,D,"*
      Output(E,F,"
   End
   C->E
   D->F
   If G=24
   Then
      C-1->C
   End
   If G=25
   Then
      D-1->D
   End
   If G=26
   Then
      C+1->C
   End
   If G=34
   Then
      D+1->D
   End
   If (C=1 and D<=5) or (C=1 and D>=7)
   Then
      ClrHome
      Output(5,13,"Game Over
   End
End
That probably could work, but here's a much more optimized version of the movement system (I think you're using a color calculator):

Code:

If G
Then
Output(E,F," " //I added the end quote to show that there is a white space here
max(1,min(26,C+sum(ΔList(G={24,26→C
max(1,min(10,D+sum(ΔList(G={25,34→D
End
Output(E,F,"*

Looks pretty complex right? I'll break it down the best I can.

Code:

getKey→G
If Ans //this detects if getKey is not 0. 0 is returned when no key is pressed

Then //I hope you know what this does :P

Output(E,F," " //I added the end quote to show that there is a white space here

//I'll break the  next line down into it's individual parts
max(1, //this sets the minimum value that the variable you want to change (in this case it's C) can be. I'll explain why it uses max( at the end

min(26, //this sets the maximum value that the variable you want to change (again, it's C) can be. I'll explain why it uses min at the end

C+sum(ΔList(G={24,26 //ok this is going to be the hardest to explain. I'll start from right to left
so
G={24,26 //this looks at variable G and compares it to the list {24,26}, depending on what G equals, this command will return  {1,0} if G equals 24, or {0,1} if G equals 26, or {0,0} if G doesn't equal 24 nor 26. (it cant return {1,1} because G cant equal two different values at the same time)

ΔList( //according to TIBasicDev, "ΔList( calculates the differences between consecutive terms of a list, and returns them in a new list." So if the previous command I explained  returned {1,0} (remember, this would happen if G=24) then ΔList( would return {-1} because 0-1=-1 . If it returned {0,1} (remember, this would happen if G=26) then ΔList( would return {1} because 1-0=1 . If it returned {0,0} (remember, this would happen if G didn't equal 24 nor 26) then ΔList( would return {0} because 0-0=0 .

sum( //this takes the list ΔList( returned and converts it into an integer. (or in Laymans terms, a plain number) So {-1} becomes just -1 and so on

C+ //this takes the value that sum( created and changes C accordingly. So if C equaled 5 at first, and sum( returned -1 , C would now equal 4 . And so on

//Gear shift: So why does it use max( for the minimum value? Because it's comparing (in this case 1) to the new C value to see which is bigger. If C>1 then it will return C because C is the bigger of the two options. If C<1 then it will return 1 because in this case 1 is larger. (If C=1 then it will just return 1)

//The same goes for min( , it's comparing (in this case 26) to C. If C>26 then it will return 26 because 26 is smaller, if C<26 then it will return C because C is smaller. (again, if C=26 it will return 26)

→C //don't forget to store the new value to C!

//This is exactly the same as the previous, only with different numbers and variable. In this case, C is just replaced with D, the minimum value of D can only be 1, the maximum value of D is 10,
max(1,min(10,D+sum(ΔList(G={25,34→D
End
Output(D,C,"*

I hope this helped!
Without getting too complicated, is there a way to optimise this code used to detect if the "*" hits a barrier?

Code:

If (C=1 and D<=5) or (C=1 and D>=7) or (D=1 and C<=11) or (D=1 and C>=15) or (D=10 and C<=11) or (D=10 and C>=15) or (C=26 and D<=5) or (C=26 and D>=7)
This was my attempt at writing an "A.I." for the enemies that follow your movements. However, when they get drawn in, it freezes and then gives a domain error

Code:

randInt(1,50)->X
   If X<=3
   // This determines if the enemy moves by drawing a random integer between 1 and 5. If it is three or less, it will move
   Then
      Output(G,H,"
      If (D<=5 and C<=13)
      // this looks to see if player is in top left quadrant
      Then
         randInt(1,2)->Z
         If Z=1
         Then
            G-1->G
         End
         If Z=2
         Then
            H-1->H
         End
         // This determins if the enemy will move up or side to side. 1=up 2=side to side
         Output(G,H,"+
      End
      If (D<=5 and C>=13)
      // This determins if the player is in the top right quadrant
      Then
         randInt(1,2)->Z
         If Z=1
         Then
            G-1->G
         End
         If Z=2
         Then
            H+1->H
         End
         Output(G,H,"+
      End
      If (D>=5 and C<=13)
      // This determins if the player is in bottom left quadrant
      Then
         randInt(1,2)->Z
         If Z=1
         Then
            G+1->G
         End
         If Z=2
         Then
            H-1->H
         End
         Output(G,H,"+
      End
      If (D>=5 and C>=13)
      // This determins if the player is in the bottom right quadrent
      Then
         randInt(1,2)->Z
         If Z=1
         Then
            G+1->G
         End
         If Z=2
         Then
            H+1->H
         End
         Output(G,H,"+
      End
   End

I am afraid I have gotten in over my head.
You asked about collision detection:

The reason I gave the relatively inefficient code that I did was for ease of understanding and for ease of adding in collision detection.

For each If-Then statement, you can add another if in to control the screen boundaries. For example,

Code:

If G=26
Then
X+1->X
End

Can become,

Code:

If G=26
Then
If X<26 //26=Right screen boundary
X+1->X
End

As for the AI, if I wanted to be able to add more enemies as the game progressed, I would store all the AI x and y values in a list.
dankcalculatorbro wrote:

The reason I gave the relatively inefficient code that I did was for ease of understanding and for ease of adding in collision detection.

For each If-Then statement, you can add another if in to control the screen boundaries. For example,

Code:

If G=26
Then
X+1->X
End

Can become,

Code:

If G=26
Then
X+1->X
End

As for the AI, if I wanted to be able to add more enemies as the game progressed, I would store all the AI x and y values in a list.

I'm not sure what you were trying to show with this code.
dankcalculatorbro wrote:

Code:

If G=26
Then
X+1->X
End

Can become,

Code:

If G=26
Then
X+1->X
End

That's inefficient and takes up room. This is the simplest way to do it.

Code:
If K=24 and X<#:X-1->X

Also, the Y variable doesn't work on any calculator, I would recommend X and Z.
What exactly do you mean by this? I have never had a problem with Y not working.

mets11rap wrote:
dankcalculatorbro wrote:
What exactly do you mean by this? I have never had a problem with Y not working.

mets11rap wrote:

Hm, interesting. It doesn't work for me or my friends.
After drawing the map and the enemy, the game freezes, and then either the enemy shoots out of bounds, (even though I thought it was coded to not allow that) or it will appear instantly be on top of the player. I have tweaked it several times, but it still doesn't seem to work. It also will randomly draw a second enemy.

Here is the link to the code: http://sc.cemetech.net/?hash=DvP3IvPTeQvWbQctucVT66fmSrmR

If you have some extra time, please look at it, laugh at the clutter, and maybe find a mistake. Thanks!
I think it is instantly going on top of you is because

Code:

If (D and C)=(G and H)

should be

Code:

If D=G and C=H

and it is shooting out of the map is because you used G for getKey and for your enemy's position. So if no keys are clicked it will set G to 0 causing it to be out of bounds (or at the value of getKey for the random second enemy).
mets11rap wrote:
dankcalculatorbro wrote:

mets11rap wrote:

Due to an old bug in the calculator’s OS, the Y variable is reset every time you call ClrDraw.

According to the footnotes on the TIBD page this has been fixed on the CSE, but not the CE.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
mets11rap wrote:
dankcalculatorbro wrote:

mets11rap wrote:

Due to an old bug in the calculator’s OS, the Y variable is reset every time you call ClrDraw.

According to the footnotes on the TIBD page this has been fixed on the CSE, but not the CE.

I think this explains why one of my programs hasn't been working, I've been banging my head on the table trying to debug it for weeks. I kept thinking I had to be doing something wrong. Thanks for this information. Very Happy (Also, this is on my CSE but it's quite possible that I need to update it)
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
mets11rap wrote:
dankcalculatorbro wrote:

mets11rap wrote:

Interesting. I have the latest OS and still can't use it.
Will outputting a character where something already is cause a domain error? That is the only thing that I can think about for why my program is giving an error:DOMAIN. Thanks.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours