Are there features you want to see in ICE, that are not available yet? Please post it here! A few things to notice:
  • Be sure it's not already implemented. A commands list is available in the latest ICE download, and there are all the functions described.
  • Be as concrete as possible: what would it do, what would the syntax look like?
  • Be sure other people didn't already featured the same thing, by looking at the list below

If you have ideas, be sure to throw them here, I'm always open for suggestions!

Current suggestions:
  • randInt(EXPR1,EXPR2) - returns a random number between EXPR1 and EXPR2. - v2.0.4
  • Display xLIBCE palette when pressing [GRAPH] in the program editor.
  • For(EXP):code:End - runs code exactly EXP times.
  • toString() - converts an expression to a string.
  • VAR++, VAR-- and *{VAR}++, *{VAR}--
  • Call labels with arguments
  • Display output name at compile screen - v2.1.0
  • Move data output to end of program output - saves 50kB free RAM - v2.1.0
  • Timers - v2.1.0
  • Input "STRING",<var> - v2.1.0
  • Run output program after compiling - v2.1.0
  • Compare strings
  • Replace substrings in string
  • Option to include library in program
  • Archive input programs before running
Use 2nd as a selection key?
jcgter777 wrote:

Already implemented. Razz
PT_ wrote:
jcgter777 wrote:

Already implemented. Razz

Since which version? The one I have doesn't work, and I updated it like 2 days ago.

Nevermind. It works.
Command suggestion:

Code:
For(EXP)
code
End

which would repeat EXP times.
This is minor and I don't know if the CE/ICE already does this, but somehow adding a value to a string?
Like Disp Str9+V will give an error so maybe have this not happen?
Command request:
VAR++ increments the value pointed to by VAR.
VAR-- decrements the value pointed to by VAR.
REMINDER: *{A}+1->*{A} Is wrong
You NEED to add this because I hate that xLIBC doesn't do this: Changing the size of displaying text.
EDIT: This is already added.
Suggestion: Subroutines with arguments.

Code:
Disp SUB(1,2),i
Return

Call SUB
ARG1+ARG2
Return

This should return 3.
i think that there should be a warning before over-writing an old version, and an option to rename it.

Also, will the name be displayed next to the src name anytime soon?
I suggest showing a constantly moving loading symbol so I know if ICE is still compiling or is frozen. Pun not intended of course.

jcgter777 wrote:
i think that there should be a warning before over-writing an old version, and an option to rename it.
I personally don't want this, it'll only take up time. Unless you add settings and an option to enable or disable this feature.
JWinslow23 wrote:
Command request:
VAR++ increments the value pointed to by VAR.
VAR-- decrements the value pointed to by VAR.

BonziCE has support for that (1 char variables, though...) ... (still need to get a beta done, screw finals...

***Idea thieves... I see how it is!! Just Joking
P.S. I call dibs on BonziCE in ICE or C !!!!!!!!!!
TheLastMillennial wrote:
I suggest showing a constantly moving loading symbol so I know if ICE is still compiling or is frozen. Pun not intended of course.

jcgter777 wrote:
I personally don't want this, it'll only take up time. Unless you add settings and an option to enable or disable this feature.

I mean, it would hardly take any time at all... If you know what you are doing, then kind of like how in old text-based systems, you would just press return twice, once to enter your command and once to confirm your action. pressing enter twice rather than once on the calculator is really not a hassle, and could save a whole lot of trouble if it prevents just a few people from accidentally overwriting a program. So I think it would be a good thing to have.
Also, an interesting feature would be to auto-compile programs. This one might need a toggle switch in an option menu, but I think it could be good to have an option that somehow detects when you are done editing a program (i.e. leave the program editor), then if it is an already compiled ice program, silently recompile it on the spot. Of course, this would be quite dependent on how much time it takes to compile an ice program, but from what I've seen, it's essentially instant, even for relatively large programs. Presumably, there is an appropriate hook that could be of use here, but as I've stated countless times before, my assembly is really rudimentary, so someone would have to confirm this.
Maybe a thing that once you finish editing a src program and try to run the compiled version, it auto-detects an older version of the compiled prgm via the name in the SRC, and asks you if you wish to recompile the program before running it.
SM84CE wrote:
Maybe a thing that once you finish editing a src program and try to run the compiled version, it auto-detects an older version of the compiled prgm via the name in the SRC, and asks you if you wish to recompile the program before running it.

That's impossible. Then the output program needs to call ICE to compile it's source, and compare it with itself. Even if an API was added to ICE, it's still not reasonable.
Here’s an idea, could you make the program editor not in overwrite typing mode, but in insert mode, like a computer?
99th post!
Maybe a cancel key?
Cancel compiling would help, I've done prgmICE:prgmA1 before, and selected A2SRC instead of A1SRC (names made up). A cancel compiling and return to ICE "main menu" and a continue compiling <selected SRC prgm> would ease frustration! Smile
john35588 wrote:
Here’s an idea, could you make the program editor not in overwrite typing mode, but in insert mode, like a computer?
99th post!

[2nd][del] Evil or Very Mad
EDIT: It appears there is no easy way to lock insertion mode in asm. Unlike alpha and 2nd, there is no flag that can be set for locking it in, only for setting it the same way the OS does when you press 2nd del.

Code:
equates pertaining to 2nd and alpha keypresses:

shift2nd      equ 3      ;1=[2nd] has been pressed
shiftAlpha      equ 4      ;1=[ALPHA] has been pressed
shiftLwrAlph      equ 5      ;1=lower case, 0=upper case
shiftALock      equ 6      ;1=alpha lock has been pressed<<<<<<<<
shiftKeepAlph      equ 7      ;1=cannot cancel alpha shift

equate pertaining to insert mode:
textInsMode      equ 4      ;0=overstrike, 1=insert mode<<<<<<<<

Therefore, although it would definitely be possible, it would be much more difficult than just switching a bit somewhere.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours