I recently got a 3d printer, and I figured why not print something cool with it?

There is this anime/cosplay convention that I have attended with my partner the last few years, and last year I went as your basic jedi (with 3 lightsabers Cool ) but this year I am planning on going as the Doom Slayer (or Marine) from Doom 2016!

I already have about half of the helmet printed, and 1/5th of one of the guns!

Here is a chunk of the helmet, I will post more pics soon

(For those who don't know this is what I'm making: )
I printed another piece of the helmet, so now I can put together the pieces that I already had

2 of the pieces are glued together with superglue. And the rest are glued on with jb weld kwikweld (a fast acting 2 part epoxy). The dark gray stuff is jb weld steelstick (an epoxy putty) which I used to fill in gaps/ smooth some stuff out
That looks very good. will you add some sort of hollow plastic to the eyesight?
malagas_fire wrote:
That looks very good. will you add some sort of hollow plastic to the eyesight?

Yep! The set of 3d models I have includes a mold for the visor, so I'll warm up a piece of clear (or mirrored if I can find it) acrylic, and mold it, then trim it and glue it in.
The structure if the helmet is now 90% done (the visor will come later)

Looks awesome! I was going to ask 'does it fit?' but you've proven that one Smile.

How will you be looking to paint etc?
tr1p1ea wrote:
How will you be looking to paint etc?

Mostly spray paint, but I will use other paint to do the fine details and the inside of the grilles and stuff
I decided I'll do a color coded progress update:

Helmet structure 100%
Helmet paint 0%
Chestplate structure 50%
Chestplate paint 0%
Pauldrons structure 0%
Pauldrons paint 0%

Gloves structure 15%
Gloves paint 0%
Gauntlet structure 0%
Gauntlet paint 0%
Spine armor structure 0%
Spine armor paint 0%
Abdominal armor structure 0%
Abdominal armor paint 0%
Figure out leg armor (cant find premade files for them)

Days left until the con: 57

(When I break it down like that, it seems a bit overwhelming, but whatever >~< )

Also, do you guys think I should print everything and then paint them all at once? Or just paint the pieces as they are finished?
The helmet looks very nice. Do you plan to include some cushions to protect head, plastic structure and hold it in place?
malagas_fire wrote:
The helmet looks very nice. Do you plan to include some cushions to protect head, plastic structure and hold it in place?

I do! I have some nice thick foam to use, I'm planning on using strips, like in a bicycle helmet
Also - why do you have no shirt on?
tr1p1ea wrote:
Also - why do you have no shirt on?

Idk, I like not wearing shirts, lol. You should see the comments on that post on imgur Razz
Pieman7373 wrote:

Idk, I like not wearing shirts, 0x5. You should see the comments on that post on imgur Razz

Makes you look like Bane, if you ask me!

I was working on this crazy mask last year for Halloween, had a raspberry pi 3, arduino, and an old portable tv screen on the front. It could sense facial movements and animate a little face on the front. I ran out of time to build the whole thing, and I didn't have a battery for it (and I still don't!).

Seriously though, that's amazing. I've always wanted a 3D printer myself, but I need to save more cash for one...
King Dub Dub wrote:
Pieman7373 wrote:

Idk, I like not wearing shirts, 0x5. You should see the comments on that post on imgur Razz

Makes you look like Bane, if you ask me!

I was working on this crazy mask last year for Halloween, had a raspberry pi 3, arduino, and an old portable tv screen on the front. It could sense facial movements and animate a little face on the front. I ran out of time to build the whole thing, and I didn't have a battery for it (and I still don't!).

Seriously though, that's amazing. I've always wanted a 3D printer myself, but I need to save more cash for one...

That's really cool!!!

The printer I bought was only $160 and it works pretty well!

EDIT:
I put a first coat on the helmet, but it looks like garbage so I will sand and fill it more, and probably use primer this time...
Here's a bit of an update:
I ran out of the grey filament I was using, and I stupidly switched to black filament from a different company and I think it if of lower quality, because a few of my prints have been spotty and unuseable... today I will buy more of the good grey stuff.
I need to do more worl on the helmet, but I'm moderately confident that I can make it look nice
The one gun that I am for sure making is almost done, then I will focus on more of the armor

Helmet structure 100%
Helmet paint 10%
Chestplate structure 50%
Chestplate paint 0%
Pauldrons structure 0%
Pauldrons paint 0%

Gloves structure 15%
Gloves paint 0%
Gauntlet structure 0%
Gauntlet paint 0%
Spine armor structure 0%
Spine armor paint 0%
Abdominal armor structure 0%
Abdominal armor paint 0%
Figure out leg armor (cant find premade files for them)

Heavy Assault Rifle structure 100%
Heavy Assault Rifle paint 0%

Heavy Assault Rifle eyecandy:
BONDO and primer

I've been pretty busy with this project, spheres a little update! (I will probably add some pics later)

Helmet paint 100%
[Chestplate structure 100%

Chestplate paint 0%
Pauldrons structure 80%
Pauldrons paint 25%
Gloves structure 15%
Gloves paint 15%
Gauntlet structure 50%
Gauntlet paint 15%

Spine armor structure 0%
Spine armor paint 0%
[color=orange]Abdominal armor structure 40%

Abdominal armor paint 0%
Figure out leg armor (cant find premade print files for them)

Heavy Assault Rifle paint 5%

I found a few full armor eva foam patterns on etsy, so I might buy one of those and use foam for everything that Icant find a model for (or use the pattern to make a model)
The assault rifle looks awsome and helmet tip top.
Some pics of the finished* helmet

* = other than the visor, which I am definitely not avoiding
I'm making more progress, I'm just hoping that they don't cancel the con over dumb coronavirus panic, there has been talk on the radio of Seattle potentially prohibiting large gatherings...

Helmet paint 100%
Chestplate structure 100%
Chestplate paint 100%
Pauldrons structure 100%

Pauldrons paint 90%
Gloves structure 50%
Gloves paint 15%
Gauntlet structure 50%
Gauntlet paint 50%

Spine armor structure 0%
Spine armor paint 0%

Abdominal armor structure 60%
Abdominal armor paint 0%
EVA foam part (legs, neck, arms) structure 20%
EVA foam part paint 0%
Heavy Assault Rifle paint 40%

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours