About a year ago, I pressed the submit button on the Cemetech register form. I
wanted to post about my recent TI-Basic programming projects after reading Kerm’s book on the subject. Little did I know that I would be sitting in this chair today, with 12 programs in the (to me) legendary Cemetech Archives, writing my thousandth post a year later.
But here I am.
My time here on Cemetech has had its up’s and down’s, but overall it has been amazing. I want to say a huge thanks to everyone here, especially the admins and currently active users. While I was here, I discovered another forum, CodeWalrus, where I could post my music and artistic projects, as well as cross-posting my calculator projects.
As I stated in my one-year Cemetech birthday post, I have learned so much here. When I came here first, I was a relatively inexperienced (programming was one of several hobbies of mine) and unorganized programmer, with many overambitious projects varying from platformers (success rate, c. Oct 2016: 50%) to my (then) new interest, machine learning (success rate, c. Oct 2016: 2%). My code looked like it came straight out of hell, with huge, monolithic chunks, caused by my programming bad habits, and my social skills were far below average. Now, my projects are larger, more refined, and more feasible. I actually have friends outside of Cemetech now, as the site pushed me to interact with more and more people. This literally saved my life once or twice. I’m not even kidding.
I have tried to embody Cemetech’s mantra of “Quality over Quantity,” with results varying from low quality and borderline spam, to what I would consider genuinely helpful and informative posts. I hope the latter vastly outnumbers the former. Overall, almost every one of the 56 or so thousand words I have posted were thought out, and designed to help, showcase, or prod users onto what I think is the right path.
I'd look at the projects of people like Mateo, Kerm, PT_, among others (and still do) and simply be amazed. About a month in, I decided that someday, I want to be writing large, useful, and cool programs like them, which is a goal I still try to pursue. (the problem is that they keep creating new large, useful, and cool programs, each one better than the last.)
I’m still nowhere near my goal. Smile

Thank you.
476th post!
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Thank you.

Well, what can I say except you're welcome?

***TheLastMillennial ruuuuns

In all seriousness though, it's been awesome having you around! I hope you reach your goal! Very Happy
Congratulations on reaching this milestone, _iPhoenix_! It's been a pleasure having you contributing to the discussions and to the impressive set of member projects here at Cemetech, to have you in the community, and of course to play alongside you on the Cemetech Minecraft server. I hope we see you around for many a year to come, no matter what platforms you're coding for.
Just a question: Why are you still a "Newbie"?

Also, is it possible to change your rank name?
jcgter777 wrote:

Also, is it possible to change your rank name?

After you reach 1000 posts, you are often offered to give yourself a rank of your choosing, which is why some of the most prominent and proficient members have ranks that aren't post-based. Presumably, once _iPhoenix_ reached 1000, somebody offered it.
(Of course, somebody who has 1000+ posts might be better suited to answer this question, but I am quite certain that this has become the norm)
EDIT
PT_ wrote:
No, after 1000 posts you can use your own custom rank, so his rank is just the text Newbie, not the rank Newbie.

That's what I meant...
No, after 1000 posts you can use your own custom rank, so his rank is just the text Newbie, not the rank Newbie.
I know that you do not know me but...
Congratulations _iPhoenix_ !!!

I hope someday I am as accomplished as you are!
jcgter777 wrote:

I chose it specifically because I am still learning even the relatively simple parts of programming, and don’t feel that I entirely deserve the title the system gave me. I also couldn’t come up with anything witty or clever

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours