I'm trying to figure out how to use the TI-83+ emulator (I'm a math teacher and wanting to show on a projector what the kids should be doing on their calculators). On the main "jsTIfied TI-83+/TI84+ Graphing Calculator Emulator" page, it says "jsTIfied needs a ROM image to function" and later "you should upload a *.rom file." But it never says what these things are or where to find them (frustrating!!!).

Can someone please help? What do I need to do to get this emulator to work on my Mac?

Thanks!
A rom image is a file that contains all of the Read-only-memory on your calculator, including the operating system and other non-user-generated internal files. (Besides apps)

You need a rom dumper like TILP to get the rom image off of your calculator.

Keep in mind that downloading or using other people’s rom images is illegal, as well as sharing your own.

A good place to look for a tutorial is here

Be sure to scroll down to the 83+/84+ section. (Note that a Mac is a Unix OS)
Thank you!

I'm not really looking to interact with MY calculator (and it's broken anyway). I just want a generic computer-based TI-83 (or 84). Do you happen to know where I can find that?

Thanks
It will not interact with your calculator.

It will display a "copy" of your calculator on your computer, but you do need to get the ROM image off of a calculator you own, though.

Using other people's ROM image is illegal.
steevo619 wrote:
Thank you!

I'm not really looking to interact with MY calculator (and it's broken anyway). I just want a generic computer-based TI-83 (or 84). Do you happen to know where I can find that?

Thanks

You could use Wabbitemu (Runs on Windows, MacOS, iPhone, and Android). Wabbit uses open source software to (legally) create a ROM image without the need for you to have a calculator. It's free, works offline, and has several useful features, I suggest you check it out!
TheLastMillennial wrote:
steevo619 wrote:
Thank you!

Thanks

You could use Wabbitemu (Runs on Windows, MacOS, iPhone, and Android). Wabbit uses open source software to (legally) create a ROM image without the need for you to have a calculator. It's free, works offline, and has several useful features, I suggest you check it out!

wabbitemu site wrote:
TI has discontinued the ability to download OS updates. New users to Wabbitemu will need to locate a ROM file. This can be done by dumping the software from your calculator using a link cable, or by searching online.

That is simply incorrect.
I added a strikethrough to that last section, because it is illegal to download/share rom images.
TheLastMillennial wrote:
steevo619 wrote:
Thank you!

Thanks

I don't think that wabbitemu supports iPhone, or at least I don't have one.
no, Wabbit does, there's an app on the Appstore, Google how to use WabbitEmu on iOS, and hopefully, you'll get the answers you're looking for

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours