Click the screenshot to jump to the latest version!
Also, click here to download on TICalc!

Original post wrote:
Over the past few months, the slow trickle of new released programs and games for the 8X+ series has slowed even more. In an attempt to remedy that, I'm making a new game, compatible with both color and monochrome calculators.

It is unnamed as of yet, but it's based on Escape, The Psyche, and Orbix. It is a game in which you are a marble, sliding through stages and past obstacles in order to get to the exit. Moving in a direction moves you until you are stopped by a wall, and it requires you to be creative and problem-solve.

One level is included as of now. It is compatible with both color and monochrome calculators (and the look changes slightly for color calculators). Download it here, and tell me what you think!

Also, what should I call this? Should there be a story, and if so, what should it involve?
This is quite cool!

It should in involve being trapped in a shipping/distribution building, where you ride conveyors to escape!
Hm, that could be an interesting idea. Perhaps you're at the top floor, and through holes in the ground, stairs, or some sort of inter-building tube system (which will become the exit), you're trying to get to the bottom floor and exit through the door.
I was thinking that this could take place in the future, when distribution is 100% automated.

I was thinking more along the lines as the 'O' being a person, and the person is trying to escape the building without getting caught (perhaps have a time limit, per level, to simulate "regular patrols").

You start on the top floor, and you ride the package distribution system to get to the bottom, where you can safely leave.

Of course, there are things like this and this, among others.
And I suppose the "move in the same direction until you stop" mechanic in each level/room will be your way of imitating something moving on the path of a conveyor belt? Laughing
JWinslow23 wrote:
And I suppose the "move in the same direction until you stop" mechanic in each level/room will be your way of imitating something moving on the path of a conveyor belt? 0x5

Yup.

I think I got the idea after reading a bunch of books about Amazon...
Looks awesome, love these games Smile.
I said a few names on IRC but some are already taken: slither, scooch, shift, drift, slide, glide, skim, launch, tumble, veer

That being said, the package delivery is a good idea!

Perhaps you could be a futuristic calculator ordered in the future off the internet in a 100% automated assembly and distribution centre?
tr1p1ea wrote:
Perhaps you could be a futuristic calculator ordered in the future off the internet in a 100% automated assembly and distribution centre?

Oh my goodness, that's the best idea ever.

Wait, actually, how about you can customize what you are, by including a settings/options menu?

I have an idea: what about generating the levels procedurally, so that the player always gets a different letter. It shouldn't be too hard. (I'll make a generator once I figure out how you store your levels)
Custom characters might not be a bad idea. And instead of a guy trying to escape, you could be a guy in a control booth, trying to control the box with the product to get it delivered. This would perfectly explain the "move in a straight line until you stop" thing, because it would literally be conveyor belts!
Will it remain a program that is compatible on color screen? Very cool! Very Happy
john35588 wrote:
Will it remain a program that is compatible on color screen? Very cool! Very Happy

The second line of JWinslow23's post wrote:
In an attempt to remedy that, I'm making a new game, compatible with both color and monochrome calculators.

Read at least the first post before posting please. Wink
I can already see myself getting addicted to this game! It gives me a bit of a Chip's Challenge kind of vibe too! Excellent Smile
Made some progress! I added level numbers, coded cutscenes, and whipped up a level editor.

Download here. Tell me what you think!

Also, Descent is only a tentative title, and it may change in the future.
I think descent is a decent name, and it made a dent in the ent.

Edit: I’m working on a few levels, I’ll post them here when I’m done.

^2: I think that the “O” should probably be remade into a splotsquare (▫) to make it look more like a package.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
I think descent is a decent name, and it made a dent in the ent.

Edit: I’m working on a few levels, I’ll post them here when I’m done.

^2: I think that the “O” should probably be remade into a splotsquare (▫) to make it look more like a package.

Good idea. I'll have to change the editor's cursor, though.
Bump.

Added another level, added intro, improved control, altered graphics slightly, and improved the speed of the truck (not in the screenie).

Download here, and level editor here. If anyone wants to volunteer to design levels, PM me!
I like it! Here's a few suggestions:

Try using a 'rotatable' character for the truck, instead of just a square. For instance you could have the truck be ^ when it's going up, v when down, and < and > for left and right.

To make the levels more difficult, make location have more than one moves to choose from to keep it from just being a game of connect-the-dots. I can see this being as complicated as a chess game!
CalcMeister wrote:

Try using a 'rotatable' character for the truck, instead of just a square. For instance you could have the truck be ^ when it's going up, v when down, and < and > for left and right.

To make the levels more difficult, make location have more than one moves to choose from to keep it from just being a game of connect-the-dots. I can see this being as complicated as a chess game!

The major difficulties in the levels will come soon, when I design levels that incorporate the other tiles (reflectors, collapsers, and spikes). The levels are sure to become very complicated, yes!

Also, it's supposed to be a package heading to a truck. The "truck" I'm referring to is an ASCII-art goody I added to the game when run on a CE: after cutscenes, a truck drives across the bottom of the screen.
JWinslow23 wrote:
CalcMeister wrote:

The major difficulties in the levels will come soon, when I design levels that incorporate the other tiles (reflectors, collapsers, and spikes). The levels are sure to become very complicated, yes!

Also, it's supposed to be a package heading to a truck. The "truck" I'm referring to is an ASCII-art goody I added to the game when run on a CE: after cutscenes, a truck drives across the bottom of the screen.
Awesome! I look forward to seeing this CE port. If you want the levels to be even more complicated, you could use the graphscreen on monochrome calcs and ICE on a CE!
CalcMeister wrote:
JWinslow23 wrote:
CalcMeister wrote:

Awesome! I look forward to seeing this CE port. If you want the levels to be even more complicated, you could use the graphscreen on monochrome calcs and ICE on a CE!

Ah, but therein lies the uniqueness of the game: the same program works on a CE and 84+!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours