How does the TI-84+ CE generate random numbers for rand?

I’m making a (safe?) assumption that it uses an algorithm, I want to know that algorithm. (and because most RNG’s have internal constants, I want to know those constants, too Smile)

I did look up information on this, but I couldn’t find what I wanted.

Thanks!
This might help out, it's from TI|BD and has the name of the algorithm.
I assume it uses the same RNG as the rest of the 83 series, so ticalc has you covered with a report TI provided describing their RNG; I assume this is the source TI|BD derives from (even though it doesn't cite it!).

Quote:
Date: 9/18/01 7:21:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time

Thank you for contacting Texas Instruments, an educational technology
company.

The random number generator of the TI-82 and TI-83 generates the same
random number sequence for a given seed value. When a calculator is reset, the seed value is reset to zero. Therefore, all calculators will begin with the same values for random numbers.

The specific algorithm is described in a research contribution by L'ecuyer. (L'ecuyer, P. Efficient and Portable Combined Random Number Generators. Communications of the ACM, Vol. 31, Number 6 (June 1988), pp. 742-749, 774.)
Thanks, guys!

EDIT: Actually, do we know the actual values in the algorithm?

I'm just curious about how it works.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Thanks, guys!

I like this solution best, of all of the ones on Stack Overflow: https://stackoverflow.com/a/35186243/2958458
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Thanks, guys!

The values should be in the OS code somewhere.
c4ooo wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Thanks, guys!

The values should be in the OS code somewhere.

I had a sneaking suspicion that was so, and I thought I should probably ask first, and if nobody had found them, either doing the dirty work of attempting to find it myself (which would require much more Assembly knowledge than I currently have), doing the equally dirty work of digging through other forums (potentially in other languages) to try and find it, or convincing other people that this is a reasonable waste of their time.
The values are clearly stated in the description; if you read it. The factory default seed is 0.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
The values are clearly stated in the description; if you read it. The factory default seed is 0.

I read it.

I was replying to his post, and stating what was going through my mind as I made the quoted post.
is that supposed to be funny? because it is.
MESS wrote:
is that supposed to be funny? because it is.

It was not, and I don’t see where you are coming from.

Please explain Exclamation

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours