Would btd5 be a fun game on calculator
yes
 77%  [ 7 ]
no
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

i'm suggesting someone make better games, like diep.io, tanky.online, and a btd5 sort of game
joshuawu518 wrote:
i'm suggesting someone make better games, like diep.io, tanky.online, and a btd5 sort of game

This is extremely difficult, as it can take days to design, and potentially months to program with a moderately busy schedule (i.e. school).

Porting of popular games is very popular with the community, but not so popular with the programmers, I think, because of people's high expectations.

For example, my friend called Pacman for the CE "lame because the character moves slightly too fast".

Also, Runer112 gave some excellent insight and made some excellent points:
Runer112 wrote:
5:58:35 PM [#] [Runer112] would <fun_game> be a fun game on a calculator
[...]
5:58:58 PM [#] [Runer112] would <fun_game> be a feasible game to port to a calculator
joshuawu518 wrote:

Do you mean Tanki Online? If so, I'd be willing to help, as I play that a lot Very Happy

EDIT: Now that I realize, Tanki Online would have to be adapted quite a bit to be playable on calculator. One thing is that it would probably become a 2D game (top-down view), rather than 3D. Then there's weapons, hulls, etc that would be hard to add. Because of this, I imagine that you would need to code this in C (for the CE). If you have some sort of foundation laid down, I could probably borrow a CE form my school to help out Smile
Battlesquid wrote:
joshuawu518 wrote:

Do you mean Tanki Online? If so, I'd be willing to help, as I play that a lot Very Happy

I don't think he's proposing that he'll do it himself (but if he is, that's really awesome), but I'd help you.

Remember that PM I sent you, Battlesquid?
How much programming do you know josh? Confused
I might consider making a tower defense game for the CE. It probably wouldn't be the most difficult program to make, as the main challenges (if written in C) would be dealing with the path and with making projectiles target properly.
It probably wouldn't be a direct clone of BTD for copyright reasons.
joshuawu518 wrote:

The thing is, those are quite difficult to program, so few people actually have the capability to do it properly, and the ones who can need to set aside a lot of time to work on such projects. There is also some added difficulty due to the fact that the original games were meant to run on hardware MUCH more advanced than what you generally find in calculators. Remeber, they don't make ROG calculators with 1080s Wink
Although after this becoming a thing, nothing seems too far fetched Razz

Time for a tangent Laughing

I think the general public is a little disconnected when it comes to low-level programming, because the apps on their phones, and programs on their desktop are abstracted so far away from the actual hardware that there is just nothing left. Heck, you can literally tell your phone what to do instead of using a UI to do things yourself! You just press a button and the magic box does what it's told.
This leads to a society of people who don't know how their electronics work, and couldn't care less. I'm a little torn on the subject of whether this is a good or a bad thing.
On one end, being very far away from the hardware is good because it makes tech accessible and maybe more useful for the general public.
But on the other end, it feels a little ignorant to be using magic knowledge boxes, and complain when it does something unexpected.
It comes with the territory. The higher level the functionality is, it is inherently further from the metal.
this may sound lame, but i not really a programmer. I'm trying to learn but i cant find good websites, so suggestions? Very Happy
joshuawu518 wrote:
this may sound lame, but i not really a programmer. I'm trying to learn but i cant find good websites, so suggestions? Very Happy

Uhh, cemetech.net is a great place to learn calculator programming.
joshuawu518 wrote:
If you're into the whole calculator thing, I would HIGHLY suggest Kerm Martian's Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus. That's what threw me into the programming world. If you don't want to pay any money, there are some quality tutorials at TIBasicDeveloper.

On the topic of more 'interesting' games for calculators, I think a tower defense game is quite feasible. In fact, I might get to work on that right away! I don't think it would be able to contain the sheer volume of bloons in BTD5, though.
CalcMeister wrote:
joshuawu518 wrote:
If you're into the whole calculator thing, I would HIGHLY suggest Kerm Martian's Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus. That's what threw me into the programming world. If you don't want to pay any money, there are some quality tutorials at TIBasicDeveloper.

On the topic of more 'interesting' games for calculators, I think a tower defense game is quite feasible. In fact, I might get to work on that right away! I don't think it would be able to contain the sheer volume of bloons in BTD5, though.

Adding on to what CalcMeister said, TIBasicDeveloper is one of the best placed to learn BASIC. I'd like to point out the Starter Kit and the Command Index since I think those would be most useful to you. Smile

Also, MateoC said he made BTD5 but, I don't think he's willing to share it right now.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours