I don't know why I waited until now to post this but...
Two older ports of games I've written in the past are now available for the TI-84 CE.

-------

Fishy CE is a game where you eat smaller fish but not get eaten by larger fish. This is a port of my older TI-83 Plus game of the same name which in turn was inspired by this game of a similar name

Fishy CE is written in C and uses MateoC's graphics libraries. It contains only three images (one of which is used in a secret) but uses sprite scaling to make them as large as I need.

The challenge when I wrote this game was in figuring out how to fit all the copies of fish in RAM since trying to scale each fish on each render was going to use way too much CPU power. Each enemy fish has a flipped copy and a copy for each size it needs to be. The player fish, however, only has the copy of the needed dimensions and facing buffered. Doing it this way let me have a decent number of fish sizes and still fit in the 69KB saferam buffer. Even then, I cheat a little by using the screen's back buffer as scratch memory to do all the image manipulations prior to writing them to saferam. It was while doing this that I learned some of the finer points of pointer math.

The fun I had after the frustrations of trying to get things to work was in seeing how large these fish scale up and how that dopey grin can turn into something truly frightening.

Demo gameplay of Fishy CE

-------

Scogger CE was rewritten in C, based on the older Scogger CSE game, which was based on this console homebrew game. This is a game where you control a frog which must jump on every lily pad at least once where the frog can move in any cardinal direction except backwards. The level data for the standard mode was obtained directly from the author so no work needed to be done there. A level editor is included if anyone wants to make their own level packs and include them in the game.

To be honest, I could've probably just copied the assembly code from the CSE version and put together the graphics routines needed to make it work. I could've but it would have done nothing for me in terms of figuring out how to write C programs, so a rewrite happened. I copied the original graphics and used sprite scaling from the aforementioned graphics library to blow them up to fit the 320x240 screen since Scogger CSE was built to make use of the half-res LCD trick to speed up graphics rendering.

The graphics in this version isn't as polished as I wanted it to be but I wanted to release something sooner than later. The level progression isn't the same as in the CSE version.

Demo gameplay of Scogger CE

TODO: Proofreading and editing
EDIT: Editing
A rather embarrassing thing happened where I didn't actually test the program that shipped with Fishy CE. As it turned out, what shipped was an old developmental version that after a short amount of time stopped generating fish, thus rendering the game unplayable.
The source that was included, however, did work so one could've recompiled to get something that was playable

I didn't find out about this problem until someone posted a bug report hidden away on the other side of the forum that I very nearly missed had my IRC client not pinged me for mentioning my name in the topic title. There has to be a better way to report bugs.

The game was updated in the archive and I made sure to download it and test it to verify that it worked. It did.

Questions? Comments? Complaints? Feel free to post.
Hides**
Sorry bout that didn't know you had posted this before.
Iambian wrote:
A rather embarrassing thing happened where I didn't actually test the program that shipped with Fishy CE. As it turned out, what shipped was an old developmental version that after a short amount of time stopped generating fish, thus rendering the game unplayable.
The source that was included, however, did work so one could've recompiled to get something that was playable

I didn't find out about this problem until someone posted a bug report hidden away on the other side of the forum that I very nearly missed had my IRC client not pinged me for mentioning my name in the topic title. There has to be a better way to report bugs.

The game was updated in the archive and I made sure to download it and test it to verify that it worked. It did.

Questions? Comments? Complaints? Feel free to post.
Don't feel too bad, it's easy enough to do Razz These games both look really cool btw!

One thing that could help with bug reports, is providing a link to the forum in the readme file that people can follow to report bugs. I've not done this myself, but I imagine it would help Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours