Recently I received my Monoprice Maker Select Plus 3D printer in the mail from Amazon. It took only about 30 minutes to set up and level it and start the very first print. I have to say, that I am very impressed with this 3D printer, having dealt with Makerbot Replicators at my local schools and a Lulzbot. It was $380 and for the price it is outstanding! (pictures below.) I imagine I will mostly be using it for enclosures of my electronics projects.

But I do want to experiment with printing custom Ti 84 cases (hey, Kerm? do you still have those solidworks files from forever ago? Wink )

I haven't had much experience with this printer but what I have had is truly mindblowing. I'll post here with updates as they happen, but for now here are some pictures.

That print looks really good! What are the specs for the print?
I don't know what the settings were for that print. My guess is because it was a default gcode file that came in the box, it had been super optimized for this printer. Right now I am trying to print a ti84 slide case from way back when Kerm and I collaborated to make a model of it. So far it's been going for 10 hours and hasn't failed. I am monitoring it at school via very sketchy methods Razz
Botboy3000 wrote:
I don't know what the settings were for that print. My guess is because it was a default gcode file that came in the box, it had been super optimized for this printer. Right now I am trying to print a ti84 slide case from way back when Kerm and I collaborated to make a model of it. So far it's been going for 10 hours and hasn't failed. I am monitoring it at school via very sketchy methods Razz
I saw your Print Cam on HCWP Razz
haha yup, I was remoting over to my laptop which was what you saw Razz
How'd the print go?

If it went well can you share some pics of the case in action?
The print went really well! Unfortunately, I had to print it with the side that says "Cemetech" on the bottom and so far I haven't figured out how to get my printer to care about what the bottom looks like. But the top (which is the inside of the case) looks phenomenal! Here are some pics

Botboy3000 wrote:
The print went really well! Unfortunately, I had to print it with the side that says "Cemetech" on the bottom and so far I haven't figured out how to get my printer to care about what the bottom looks like. But the top (which is the inside of the case) looks phenomenal!
That looks great! I can see where you had to get rid of the useless support material though. Wink
It actually didn't print any support material, to my surprise. I guess it knew that it didn't need it (or at least Cura did) and decided to just ignore my request for support material.
Botboy3000 wrote:
It actually didn't print any support material, to my surprise. I guess it knew that it didn't need it (or at least Cura did) and decided to just ignore my request for support material.
It almost looks like scrape marks on the side though... What are those?
those are I think (this printed mostly over night) where the printer was having trouble putting plastic on the very edge of the previous layer, and the roughness you see is where some of the melted plastic actually started to fall down.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours