Hello everyone,
Sorry for all the asterisks, but apparently you can't type Brainf*ckCE without it being censored to "a" lmao

Anyway, I've created a brainf*ck interpreter and JIT compiler for the TI 84 CE calculators. If you are interested, you can download and try it here on github (I had to use a url shortener because the github link has f*ck in it and gets censored) Head to the releases tab and download the latest release to use.

The program is written in C and can generate both bytecode to be interpreted or compile the brainfuck directly to optimized ez80 instructions to be run! I ripped the gui straight off of Mateo's Cesium shell and implemented it very poorly in C... Evil or Very Mad Anyway, huge thanks to Mateo and Iambian for all the help.

Here is a screenshot of the program; if you want to see the program in action, there are gifs on the README over on github

Awesome looking work! I really like how the terminal just takes up part of the screen; I may apply that when I have to make a terminal emulator for the toolchain. I'll have to give this a whirl! By the way interrupts are currently broken and no longer supported in the toolchain anymore sadly Sad
Thanks Mateo! It means a lot coming from you. I may have ambiguously named the key interrupt option though: I actually just check if the clear button is pressed after every bytecode instruction and don't use interrupts at all. I know it's terribly inefficient but that's why it's really only used for testing bf programs that might have bugs and there's an option to disable it Razz
This is ridiculously awesome.

The gifs look amazing, and I'll definitely give this a whirl when I find my calculator. I know where it is, but I can't be bothered to get it, but this makes me want to get it now...

I love the theme, but perhaps you could have an options menu where you can change the color theme, perhaps with a night mode, with blue text on black. (currently, it looks a lot like the DuckDuckGo browser)

As for implementing Cesium's theme "very poorly", I think it looks fantastic and you used the layout in a very appealing way.
Thanks a lot iPhoenix! I agree with you on the theme idea for sure but am not quite sure what would be a good way to implement it as a gui element for people to change. A button? Any thoughts? For now, you can change these three macros here and build the app from source if you'd like. Smile
This seems very awesome squishy! I do have a question, though: how does input work? I recently made a program that requires four bytes to be input in the form of numbers, so how would I input these?
Hey JWinslow23, sorry for the slow response! I've been busy with school. Right now, the input field in Brainf*ckCE only accepts A-Z and 0-9 as input. It will feed these to your bf programs as their ascii codes. For instance, if I type "ABC123" into the input field, and I have a program that is ",.,.,.,." it will print "ABC1". I chose this style because this is how most interpreters handle input. At the moment, the only practical way a program like yours can work is if you implement some form of string parsing into your bf code. Sorry about that Sad

For example, this xmas tree program that I ship with BFCE ( https://goo.gl/jo9wei ) accepts ascii as input and parses that to a number it can use. I know this makes your program ~10 times more complicated and bloated.

When I have time in the following weekends, I will release version 1.4 of BFCE which will allow for more input methods and better input handling so that your code will be able to run without modifications Smile Your bf code looks really cool and I would love to see it running on a calculator!

Stay tuned!
squishy wrote:
Hey JWinslow23, sorry for the slow response! I've been busy with school. Right now, the input field in Brainf*ckCE only accepts A-Z and 0-9 as input. It will feed these to your bf programs as their ascii codes. For instance, if I type "ABC123" into the input field, and I have a program that is ",.,.,.,." it will print "ABC1". I chose this style because this is how most interpreters handle input. At the moment, the only practical way a program like yours can work is if you implement some form of string parsing into your bf code. Sorry about that Sad

For example, this xmas tree program that I ship with BFCE ( https://goo.gl/jo9wei ) accepts ascii as input and parses that to a number it can use. I know this makes your program ~10 times more complicated and bloated.

When I have time in the following weekends, I will release version 1.4 of BFCE which will allow for more input methods and better input handling so that your code will be able to run without modifications Smile Your bf code looks really cool and I would love to see it running on a calculator!

Stay tuned!

Well, the IDE I use to develop in BF (BFDev) has two boxes for input: one for text, and one for a number from 0 to 255. I'm not sure how that would be done here, but it's a thought. You're awesome for doing this in the first place, though, so thanks for that!

Also, thanks for the compliment on the code!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours